brake discs BMW 118d more than 100 HS after 000km!

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

brake discs BMW 118d more than 100 HS after 000km!

by Christophe » 06/09/14, 11:05

As mentioned a few months ago in this topic: https://www.econologie.com/forums/ecoconduit ... 13162.html Here are a subject of usury that I find abnormal BM brake disk.

A Saints 2013 I began to feel vibrations when braking, the car had a little less than 100 000 km. I practice a lot of engine braking / driving eco ...

Diagnosis: HS disc (while platelets have not been changed!)

I put almost 1 year (20 000 km and more) to change!

Here are the photos of wear:

A) Platelets (which are far from HS in thickness even if they have a lot of flaws!):

This one exploded when I pushed the plunger:

B) Discs:

Normal wear after only 120 000 km?
Last edited by Christophe the 06 / 09 / 14, 11: 10, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/09/14, 11:09

At the replacement quote at BM: € 1100 to deliver the same quality disc! Do not make fun of it!

So I decide to do the work myself, I had to just under € 350 (4 4 discs + pads) and I passed by Brembo (Brembo Max for front), so much better the original mounts BM!

I spent just under 5h for changing 4 discs + pads
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 06/09/14, 11:42

You have not we say you slept in the car creek every night. It is not advisable! : Mrgreen: Looks like these records have not served long type storage several years in a field ....

Uh, the exploded plate ..... this should not slow down very hard and silently : Shock:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Remundo

by Remundo » 06/09/14, 11:48

bé and this is not good, especially for the BMW ...

we better expect from a brand like that !! Although pretty to cough up the people and live on a prestigious image, but attention must be ensured behind ... otherwise ... : Idea:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/09/14, 12:06

Exactement..Pour me, it is almost certain that there has been a voluntary decline in the quality of materials!

Bm to blame it on the eco driving ... ... Moué Moué ...

After it is on more than 120 000 km with the same board game is a lot ... but this does not explain such a disc wear!

ps: the car does not run automatically every day, but several times a week ...

Flytox this is the same point that a buddy mechanic made me (he had never seen it): the photos were taken just after disassembly!

Rotate the info!

ps: the wafer was exploded during disassembly when I pushed the plunger (the screwdriver traces seen on the party exploded but was still in bad shape!)
0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 06/09/14, 12:49

Christophe wrote:Bm to blame it on the eco driving ... ... Moué Moué ...

And they are right !

Do not worry, I've found exactly the same on Japanese, French, Italian and German in which drivers and conductors were followers of eco-driving.

Brake is made to halt, they have a temperature range for optimum operation. On your photos were seen very well that these brakes were never heated. They have aged considerably, but have little worn.

It remains to know if the few liters of fuel that you think you have saved in 120000 km with eco-driving enough to offset the premature change of brakes ...

A+
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 06/09/14, 12:56

I am not convinced of the cause and effect relationship.

I drove for 6 years with a Japanese 4x4 bought new, given the consumption and the engine torque on this type of vehicle, I drove "cool" and I mainly used the engine brake.
When he left the case (following a big accident) with the meter 120.000km platelets were only 50% wear and discs in perfect condition.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 06/09/14, 13:02

To BMW dealers, I breathe that word ascribed to Ettore Bugatti, whose cars had brake all that is most temperamental (it is said) ...

So when asked about it, he had this superb answer: "A Bugatti, sir, is made to drive, not to brake!".

[To collection superb replicas, from:

Allan Greenspan, the former director of the Federal Reserve:

- the journalist: "Sir, if I understood you correctly, you say ...."
- Greenspan: "If you understood me correctly, it's because I misspoke!"

Or Ray Charles:

- "Mr. Ray Charles, it must be hard to be blind?"
- A burst of laughter: "It could have been worse, I could have been born black!"

All this memory, the spoken text may vary a little!]
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/09/14, 18:24

1360 wrote:
Brake is made to halt, they have a temperature range for optimum operation. On your photos were seen very well that these brakes were never heated. They have aged considerably, but have little worn.

It remains to know if the few liters of fuel that you think you have saved in 120000 km with eco-driving enough to offset the premature change of brakes ...

A+

1) I have been trying, for years, to ride "cool", so to brake as little as possible ... A kind of eco-driving, even if I also try to move forward!

My Xantia is a party to the case at about 340 000 km from memory.

My ZX some more I think.

These are cars purchased secondhand, so I did not know before. The Xantia was purchased in 100 000 [a grandpa; the dealer told him that the trouble would begin; he would have to change the timing belt and offered him 10 000 francs ; the grandpa spent an annocce at 12, sometimes that would work; the argus was 000 francs; I rushed on it]. The ZX at around 15 [a colleague; his mechanic told him that "there was a noise"; he sold it to me, embarrassed, for 000 euros; I had just bought a new scooter for my son for 200!]

Memory, only the Xantia was a change discs at the front ... I zapped the change of platelets; I think the light did not work; I trusted telling me I have a warning; So it ended as a scratched LP of yesteryear! [I do my oil changes myself]

So certainly, the brakes is to brake. From there to make the required braking !!! ???? I hope the manufacturers are not there !!!

2) A cool driving allows scratching to ease the 1 100 to km, compared to a pipe say a little more nervous. 2 the over driving an excited !!!

On 200 000 km, this is to 2 4 000 l. A 1,3 euros per liter, this is still a sum ... [and probably one or the other train of tires!]

3) My C5 will go to the garage for the belt change 120 000 km. I will yeuter discs. She has always been eco-driving since I acquired 23 000 km there 7 years!

I would therefore put your words into perspective a little, which may lead one to believe that it is absolutely necessary to brake and not "eco-drive"! And that ultimately, the discs cost more! [there, the BMW bill is steep; the pair of Bosch ventilated discs for C5 is worth 120 euros and is sold at 45: http://www.mister-auto.com/disque-de-fr ... 8!979.html ; certainly, a climb them - it's not complicated but everyone will not dare do! I think I will continue to eco-drive!]
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 07/09/14, 20:05

I have a Renault that 19 185 000 km to ...

Never changed the brake discs, brake and I too little ...

The other day, my little mechanic suggested that I change the pads "as a preventive measure". I accepted, but the braking was always good before ...

And There you go. So some should stop selling shit, especially on "premium" cars, as they say with their pompous vocabulary ...
0 x

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."