What material for a non-toxic strawberry column?

Organize and arrange your garden and vegetable garden: ornamental, landscape, wild garden, materials, fruits and vegetables, vegetable garden, natural fertilizers, shelters, pools or natural swimming pool. lifetime plants and crops in your garden.
Lnx2050
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

What material for a non-toxic strawberry column?

by Lnx2050 » 30/07/14, 20:51

Hello hello everyone
I call Ln, I discovered recently, and by chance, that one could make plantations of strawberry plants, salads, etc ... in column

I saw several examples, most often with a PVC tube ...
I already find it very ugly, but in addition, the PVC emanates molecules that are not really good for health ... suddenly I hesitate .... so I ask the question "but what material to build a column !?" ...

the ideal, I think, would be to make one out of clay, baked in the RAKU oven for example .... if it is simple to shape, to cook in an apartment it is less so ... : Mrgreen:

I would have thought of using a stainless steel pipe to tub the chimney pipes, which we find at Bricotruc ...
the question then is: will stainless steel hold up?
no risk of degradation of stainless steel -> Hexavalent Chromium VI emanation due to degradation of the alloy? )

What do you think ?

voila, if you have good ideas or a Full Bio experience ... :)

Kind regards.
Ln
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 30/07/14, 21:12

The stainless steel should hold the shock but that could be not terrible decorative level; it all depends on what you are looking for ... Not too easy to cut and the edges are then razors.
There is the palette of Christophe: but since it is inside the apartment, it is not too suitable ...

Have you thought of a stack of terracotta flower pots (possibly framed by vertical cleats or bamboo stems); there is a way to plant at the edge of each pot and / or also to make holes on the walls (carbide hole saw, without percussion).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Lnx2050
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Lnx2050 » 30/07/14, 22:53

Good evening ahmed,

we can cut the stainless steel with a shear for placo rail .. but it is true that the cutting effect can be annoying ...

an assembly of terracotta pots, yes, it's a good idea ...
we can make an assembly by a stainless steel screw, passing through all the centers of the pots, by interposing them with sorts of spacers so that the assembly is rigid
good idea !
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 31/07/14, 18:53

In this case, use threaded rod, bolts and washers (but I guess that's what you meant when talking about stainless steel screws).
However, you have to make sure that your setup lets water pass ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."