19 measures against CRISIS !!!

philosophical debates and companies.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/04/14, 19:45

I don't think the phrase "power corrupts" is a good wording.
Power is only that of obeying a system in order to compel agents placed at a lower hierarchical rank to submit to this same system; of course, this presupposes a higher gratification which happens to be the engine of this ambition, therefore, if there is corruption, it is logically prior to the accession to power (I refer you to the quote from Jacques Ellul) *.

This is what you rightly mention in the second part of your sentence.

* The exercise of the presidential function is incompatible with the conditions necessary to achieve this. ((in "The political illusion")
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 14/04/14, 20:01

Ahmed wrote:* The exercise of the presidential function is incompatible with the conditions necessary to achieve this. ((in "The political illusion")

very good quote!

what is the use of democracy, by universal suffrage?

the main one is the method of selecting leaders! if the selection method well before the elections only selects the worst, the election is useless! choosing between one bad or another is not democracy

a good system of democracy must give chance to all people of good will at different levels, to allow the best to arrive at the top

the social elevator is essential ... his current breakdown is catastrophic

democracy at the municipal level should be the first floor before the continuation ... alas being elected mayor is a dead end: mayors do not have the role they deserve, and to limit their place well we want prohibit them from also being deputies!

the 5th republic was created to avoid the faults of the 4th, but it created another one, and is really not the final solution, there is work to do before having a democracy that works
Last edited by chatelot16 the 14 / 04 / 14, 20: 14, 1 edited once.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 14/04/14, 20:11

Ahmed wrote:I don't think the phrase "power corrupts" is a good wording.
(...) therefore, if there is corruption, it is logically prior to the accession to power (I refer you to the quote from Jacques Ellul) *.

It is an expression with a broad meaning.
Besides, it is difficult to clearly quantify "power."
From when does one become powerful?
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/04/14, 20:22

The method of selecting leaders before the elections exclusively favors the best to meet the conditions necessary to be elected, ie, the most pushy, the less scrupulous; this is what wanted to understand J. Ellul.

Universal suffrage gives the choice between the same ones and turns against those who have the illusion of choice, since they ensure the legitimacy of their masters.
It is in this sense that Tocqueville asserted that "Democracy is the worst system of government, but it is the only one possible": the deception of free choice is enough to maintain power.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."

Back to "Society and Philosophy"