Walmart WAVE, electric truck with range extender

Cars, buses, bicycles, electric airplanes: all electric transportation that exist. Conversion, engines and electric drives for transport ...
Christophe

Walmart WAVE, electric truck with range extender

by Christophe » 29/03/14, 23:09

Bonjour à tous

In my previous posts, I made you out the importance of also electrify heavy trucks, given their important role in our oil consumption in Quebec. I recently updated my lecture Driving without oil, and I took the opportunity to make a new graph showing the state of the situation, 2011, for all transport sectors in Quebec. If we consider only road transport, heavy trucks account 25% of oil consumption in 2011 Quebec.

I already told you what I thought best for gradually electrify heavy trucks, a group of electric traction extender. By recharging a battery of 100 km range overnight fast and two refills (10 minutes) on the day 300 km per day is achieved in electric mode. In 10 years, reducing the weight and cost of the batteries we can do 600 km electricity or 800 3 km with quick refills.

We must therefore develop electric traction groups extender (also called series hybrid systems).

This is what a group of companies has just done to deliver the WAVE semi-trailer truck to Walmart, which is part of this company's efforts to reduce their fuel consumption and the maintenance of their truck fleet. A fine example of synergy between the economy and the environment. See

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/03 ... -wave.html

and the video on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUT5J ... ER9X4_gtYk

The airfoil is also made possible through the use of a microturbine as a range extender, which does not require liquid cooling, so no big radiator in front of the tractor. Furthermore, the small size of this microturbine allows to place it under the cockpit, with the electric motor and batteries, while enabling the narrow profiling of the cabin, which adds to the tractor aerodynamics. The tractor-trailer combination thus provides 20% less resistance to the flow of air, which results in a reduction of 10% of the fuel consumption.

Walmart and its partners do not provide consumption figures of the semitrailer truck WAVE, but I'll estimate. Hybridization normally reduces the consumption of a truck 10 25% to% as we drove on highways or in urban areas. The important relief resulting from the extensive use of carbon fiber (almost 2 tonnes less for the trailer) could result in a 5% less consumption.

45,5 kwh battery of the tractor should allow a range of about 50 km in electric mode, which also contributes to fuel consumption reduction. For cons, the effectiveness of a microturbine is 30% (30% of the chemical energy contained in the fuel is converted into mechanical energy), while a heavy piston diesel engine achieves about 40% of 'efficiency. There is therefore a reduction in efficiency caused by the microturbine 25%. It consumes diesel but it would work well with natural gas or biomethane, or biodiesel (made from recycled fat where biosynthetic).

Let's balance sheet. There is a loss of 25% efficiency due to the use of a microturbine. By one gains against 10% with better aerodynamics, and say of 15% due to hybridization. Besides the reduction in weight possibly brings us another 5% gain. Now, assuming a daily mileage of 500 km and a single charge per day, the autonomy of 50 km in electric mode means another gain 10% (which could be increased significantly by increasing the capacity of the battery and recharging three times a day). Experimental short trailer truck WAVE, as it now should consume about 15% less diesel fuel than a conventional semi-trailer truck.

But we must not only look at fuel consumption. We must also take into account the fact that one does not need elaborate cooling system (cooling air is required) or after combustion gas treatment system (less pollution, even without catalysts or filters particles nor urea injection system). Otherwise the microturbine has only one moving part that operates with air-cushion bearings and do not require lubrication. So there was no oil changes to be performed. Finally there is also no EGR valve (Exaust gas recovery) or turbo intercooler neither. In short, there is MUCH LESS maintenance, which results in a substantial reduction in operating costs.

In terms of modes of functioning of the traction unit, there are three: the CHARGE MODE The POWER MODE, and the HYBRID MODE.

In the charging mode, if a charging station is not within reach, the microturbine recharge the batteries while the truck is stopped. In the electric mode, the electric motor is powered only by batteries. When their charge level reaches 50%, the microturbine starts automatically and always runs at its optimal regime, where fuel consumption is minimal. In hybrid mode, the microturbine constantly recharges the batteries, by the way, always turning at its optimum speed.

It's very exciting to see the momentum of the electrification of transport grow, even for heavy trucks!

Sincerely

Pierre Langlois, Ph.D., physicist
Last edited by Christophe the 31 / 03 / 14, 13: 05, 1 edited once.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 31/03/14, 12:55

Thank you for this information which I find exciting.

In France, we have traditionally tended to consider that polluting emissions from trucks can only decrease by improving engines and post-combustion treatment.

Hybridization is NEVER addressed. :x

However, many solutions exist or have existed (electrification of roads, electric and / or hybrid trucks with exchange of batteries, ...).
Many electric and hybrid trucks were driven in France and the USA until the 50s.

Pioneer companies have wanted to revive this sector in recent years on each side of the Atlantic but with great difficulty (Ponticelli, MODEC, ...)
Again, Europe is lagging behind and will soon be forced to use Asian products. The Chinese have already accumulated years of experience in the matter ... Without the West measuring its scope ...
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 31/03/14, 13:34

citro wrote:.... Hybridization is NEVER addressed .... The Chinese have already accumulated years of experience in the matter ... Without the West measuring its scope ...

Hi Citro!

Have the Chinese accumulated years of experience in this area? Which manufacturers?

Geely has announced that they will be manufacturing the Volvo Plug-in hybrid under license. At the moment there is nothing.

Dong-feng is negotiating with PSA for the transfer of Hybrid-Air technology. Let's wait.

Chery has been announcing the release of plug-in hybrid cars for years. We are still waiting.

Etc. ..

How did the Chinese manage to accumulate so much experience when they do almost nothing in this area, except to use foreign licenses?
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 31/03/14, 13:37

It is on l is very beautiful and it is a beautiful advance .... But the usefulness of the micro turbine and its efficiency of 30% .... : Cry: : Cry: : Cry: With a piston micromotor with an efficiency of 40% automatically they would have reached higher gains ... the use of a large cooling radiator and coolant is not an irreversible fatality on a diesel engine ... Especially if you want to run it on biodiesel ...
In 1972 ... It was almost my age..Elsbett released a 3 cylinders of 1.5l displacement devellopant 90cv with a yield of 40% capable of turning to pure vegetable oil only cooled by its lubricating oil this oil was cooled by a modest size radiator (60cmx20cm) ... This engine obtained consumption of less than 4l / 100 to drag a merco 190 of the time ... I have one at home (model in 75cv with a turbo smaller)
I am surprised that a 21st century turbine on air cushion bearings and co has a lower efficiency than my museum piece ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 31/03/14, 14:26

Macro wrote:I am surprised that a 21st century turbine on air cushion bearings and co has a lower efficiency than my museum piece ...
It seems to me that this is clearly explained in the text: the turbine certainly has a lower efficiency than diesel, but its smaller volume and lower mass facilitate its integration into the vehicle, which ultimately allows a decrease in consumption.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 31/03/14, 22:08

Leo Maximus wrote:Have the Chinese accumulated years of experience in this area? Which manufacturers?

How did the Chinese manage to accumulate so much experience when they do almost nothing in this area, except to use foreign licenses?
It is not because the information is broadcast on TF1 that what I am telling is false ...
I got some of my information from a mobility expert specializing in EV with the government (the super bonus at € 7.000, the proposed decrees on charging infrastructures and many other pro EV devices, that's him), he also travels very regularly to China to meet industrialists and political actors in the electrical industry, it is an intimate of influential personalities there that it is better to avoid quoting here.

In France, out of Dong Feng, and a few others like BYD, I find it difficult to remember the names of local brands, especially when they do not make the effort to translate their name into English.

The subject alludes to brands of heavy goods vehicles, an area in which the general public ignores the names of most European brands, then Chinese names ...
I am thinking in particular of large cities (very large even for a Frenchman) which are equipped with fleets of electric buses endowed with batteries (of 200kWh) in rapid exchange in immense robotic stations.

To say of a country that we do not know that it does nothing, while it is the factory of the planet, that it has more universities and engineering schools than the USA and Europe together and sending it to space users is quite simplistic ...
To say that he only knows how to copy or license is also very cartoonish, and is surely due, for many, to the fact that the word "learn" and the word "copy" are spelled the same in their language. .

It is a little as if we said of the French that they are "stupid" and that at the other end of the planet, a bad translator would say that they are "animals" ...
:?
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 31/03/14, 22:47

Gaston wrote:
Macro wrote:I am surprised that a 21st century turbine on air cushion bearings and co has a lower efficiency than my museum piece ...
It seems to me that this is clearly explained in the text: the turbine certainly has a lower efficiency than diesel, but its smaller volume and lower mass facilitate its integration into the vehicle, which ultimately allows a decrease in consumption.

there is nothing surprising in that! the genius of diesel is a high compression ratio for good performance without the need for hi tech materials because this high temperature does not last long

with a turbine, the combustion chamber and the first stage of the expansion turbine must constantly support the high temperature ... therefore, despite the use of expensive materials, we must limit ourselves, and we obtain a poorer efficiency

the advantage of the turbine is the low weight, not the efficiency: good for airplanes and helicopters, completely questionable for a truck or the weight is cheaper than in an airplane

I think that this turbine is a more modern way, for a certain way to make buzz

but for a realistic hybrid truck it needs real diesel

diesel is not at the end of its evolution ... we will reach 60% efficiency in a short time
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 01/04/14, 06:14

I would like to come back to the yield:
the efficiency of the piston diesel engine is certainly 40% but only at its point of maximum efficiency, which is only very very very rarely the case in traditional operation of the diesel engine in wheel drive.
the maximum output being generally on a diesel located at low speed and high load, most driving situations are rather around 25 to 30% efficiency. the amplitude of power used on a heavy diesel is very large: 400CV when it is necessary to tear off the load at startup against 100 to 150CV at stabilized speed, which is the majority of the operating time.
So whether it be a turbine or a piston engine, series hybridization is in all cases a VERY good solution for the heavy goods vehicle because you can use a heat engine of 200CV instead of 400. Electric motors allowing to tow 400CV when necessary by drawing the difference in batteries and / or super-capacities.
0 x
Click my signature
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 01/04/14, 08:49

dirk pitt wrote:I would like to come back to the yield:
the efficiency of the piston diesel engine is certainly 40% but only at its point of maximum efficiency, which is only very very very rarely the case in traditional operation of the diesel engine in wheel drive.
the maximum output being generally on a diesel located at low speed and high load, most driving situations are rather around 25 to 30% efficiency. the amplitude of power used on a heavy diesel is very large: 400CV when it is necessary to tear off the load at startup against 100 to 150CV at stabilized speed, which is the majority of the operating time.
So whether it be a turbine or a piston engine, series hybridization is in all cases a VERY good solution for the heavy goods vehicle because you can use a heat engine of 200CV instead of 400. Electric motors allowing to tow 400CV when necessary by drawing the difference in batteries and / or super-capacities.

+1 ... And with a micro diesel piston thermal engine of 200hp (which could weigh with current technologies less than 100kgs) to hybridize a PL the econology of the road tractor would be really increased ...
Do not forget also that the aerodynamics of this truck is based on a truck plus semitrailer assembly which will become completely obsolete when using heavy equipment carriers, tanks, public works trailers.
The choice of two axles towing is also an energy drain.
I did not watch the video with the sound but it would also be interesting to know the curb weight and the payload of this truck ...
FYI, a current road unit of this kind displays a payload of over 30 tonnes with an engine that weighs 800 kg and tanks of 500 to 800 kg full ... I do not know the weight of the box ... A tractor of 400hp weighs in 6,5 tonnes.
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 01/04/14, 11:14

the efficiency of an engine varies with the power used, but diesel has the advantage of having good performance over a wider range than other engines

this is what makes diesel more economical to use than petrol: petrol has good performance at full power: diesel has good performance at partial power too

the turbines are the worst for having a range of limited good performance ...

the turbines are very reliable to run for a long time at full power, we have proof of this on airplanes, but have a limited number of starts due to thermal shock: not very suitable for road vehicles

on an airplane or helicopter there is a starting number counter, the turbine must return to the workshop when the maximum number is reached ... we avoid stopping it for nothing, and we prefer to let it run even if it eats fuel
0 x

Back to "Electric transport: cars, bicycles, public transport, planes ..."