Reviews of the Citroen AX diesel?

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 11/01/14, 22:04

It is statistical, the more space for interviews, the greater the risk of breakdown and the more expensive the repairs because they will involve several organs while by inspecting more often we detect and repair more often but for lower budgets instead of cumulating ...

How many cars are replaced because the garage owner tells the customer you will get € 1500 for maintenance (distribution + water pump + tires + brakes + clutch, ...).

My sister-in-law was in this state of mind last summer because the air conditioning in her car was broken and the garage was asking her € 800 to repair just the air conditioning (condenser to be changed) plus engine maintenance with timing belt and some other trifles that amounted to 1500 € for a small Fiat 8 years old "not worth the price of repairs" (it has a few dents, is no longer up to date, ... with the windows of dimming headlights, ...).

I repaired the air conditioning for less than 150 € (new condenser bought on the Internet and charge made in a car center). A few other quotes cut the other operations in half and his car is operational for a few more years, hopefully ...

By reliability of machines outside the automotive industry, I think of all the industrial equipment which works in difficult conditions, from 8 hours to sometimes 24 / day, but also the public works, agricultural and marine equipment which is very far from passing 95% of its lifespan stopped as it is the case of automobiles and which however is used over more years ...

For example, a heavy goods vehicle or a bus often drives more than 10 hours a day, for more than 10 years and over a million km ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 11/01/14, 22:28

a well-trained road mechanic told me that the fashion for truck dealers is to extend the number of km to be done between each oil change

on brand new trucks they have chosen to respect the new recommendation of the manufacturer for certain and to drain as often as the old for other

result the emptied trucks often do not consume a drop of oil between emptying ... the emptied trucks at the new recommendation eat oil and you have to monitor the level like old things ... new mercedes in a business transport

conclusion an engine is more expensive than oil and this is not the end of the world

on another scale I noticed on all kinds of cars that starting is more difficult when I take too long to do the oil change
0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 11/01/14, 23:00

Hi and thank you for your reply.

It is statistical, the more space for interviews, the greater the risk of breakdown and the more expensive the repairs because they will involve several organs while by inspecting more often we detect and repair more often but for lower budgets instead of cumulating ...

I do not agree. A modern car is designed to have longer service intervals.

I happen to be a fan of late 60s and early 70s Jaguars. On these cars, the oil changes were scheduled between 5000 and 7500 km, the carbs (SU with depressions) had to be revised often, the ignition too, the clutch changed regularly, the cylinder heads were also revised (with change of guides and valve seats), the body rusted in less time than it takes to say it, etc, etc ... And it was the same for the old Opels (one of my old passions, Kadett "C" GTE, Commodore "B" Coupe GS / E).

On a modern car, we drain all 30000, the injection makes the life of the car, we hardly change the clutch, they no longer rust (except Renault), the timing belt is made at 240000 km or every 10 years (Peugeot), etc, etc ...

A modern car has become completely tasteless, but is immensely more reliable than an old one and costs much less to maintain.

How many cars are replaced because the garage owner tells the customer you will get € 1500 for maintenance (distribution + water pump + tires + brakes + clutch, ...).

That's right, but a garage owner is not Abbé Pierre, he has to live (even if there are many of them who are not necessarily honest ...).

A modern car is as much cheaper than an old one, so the price of a garage maintenance can seem expensive in proportion to the price of the car.

It must be said that the water pump which will be changed at 120 or 150000 km on a modern one, would have already been changed two or three times on an old one.

The first timing belts on mass-produced cars changed at 60000 km, now it's 240000 km, we can't say that everything is not done to make things last.

Before, the spark plugs were replaced between 5 and 10000 km, now it's all 60000 km ... Etc, etc ...

... for a small Fiat of 8 years of age ... with the headlight windows which tarnish ...

There are polisch which avoid the replacement of these "windows"

I repaired the air conditioning for less than 150 € (new condenser bought on the Internet and charge made in a car center). A few other quotes cut the other operations in half and his car is operational for a few more years, hopefully ...

Yes, it is certain that if you can do it yourself it is much cheaper. But it would have been the same with an old one.

By reliability of machines outside the automotive industry, I think of all the industrial equipment that works in difficult conditions, from 8 hours to sometimes 24 / day, but also public works equipment ...

That's good, it's my job. Here again, the engine oil changes went from 250 to 500 hours, the hydraulic oil changes from 1000 to 5000 hours, and yet we hardly change hydraulic or hydrostatic pumps on modern machines, nor injection pumps, we don't redo more engine (and it's a shame for a passionate mechanic like me), in short, the equipment is fairly impressive reliability, despite extended maintenance intervals. On the other hand, it is obvious that one must scrupulously respect the qualities of oils and parts recommended by the manufacturer.

For example, a heavy goods vehicle or a bus often drives more than 10 hours a day, for more than 10 years and over a million km ...

Yes that's right. Recently, I saw a report on the new Kenworths, it's absolutely staggering, the services are spaced at their maximum (I don't remember the periodicity) and the engine is guaranteed 1600000 km (one million six hundred miles) .

To conclude, I do not think we can say that increasing the mileage or the number of hours between maintenance is detrimental to reliability, quite the contrary (provided that this is provided by the manufacturer, of course ...)

A+
0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 11/01/14, 23:19

Hi Citro,

a well-trained road mechanic told me that the fashion for truck dealers is to extend the number of km to be done between each oil change

It is not a fashion for merchants, it is a technical development on the part of manufacturers, nuance.

on brand new trucks they have chosen to respect the new recommendation of the manufacturer for certain and to drain as often as the old for other

result the emptied trucks often do not consume a drop of oil between emptying ... the emptied trucks at the new recommendation eat oil and you have to monitor the level like old things ... new mercedes in a business transport

Yes and ??

Obviously, on an engine that is drained twice as often as another engine, there will be less oil to add between two changes.

It is not because the oil changes are spaced that you no longer have to control your oil level, no one has ever said that, quite the contrary.

You should also know that Mercedes truck engines need a break-in time before they no longer consume oil (just like Sprinters engines).

As I said in my previous message, the recent site machines that I have with oil change intervals doubled compared to the old ones do not consume oil (I do not add anything in 500 hours of work, unlike the old ones with 250 hour intervals). But again, you must scrupulously respect the manufacturer's oil standards, and they are particularly numerous at Mercedes, so it's easy to go wrong ...

The equipment evolves very quickly, the mechanics must follow ...

on another scale I noticed on all kinds of cars that starting is more difficult when I take too long to do the oil change

If you exceed the oil change deadline and / or you do not use the right oil, it is normal that you notice this, even in a modern engine ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 12/01/14, 00:49

1360 wrote:To conclude, I do not think we can say that increasing the mileage or the number of hours between maintenance is detrimental to reliability, quite the contrary (provided that this is provided by the manufacturer, of course ...)
This is not exactly my point ... Because indeed the vehicles are generally more reliable.

But spacing out the interviews decreases the chance of detecting a failure and increases the risk that it will be immobilizing.
And spacing out the interviews increases the fact that there will be several bodies to be treated and therefore that the budget will be higher ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 12/01/14, 00:53

1360 wrote:Hi Citro,
a truck driver well trained in mechanics told me that the fashion of truck dealers is to extend the number of km to do between each oil change
It is not a fashion for merchants, it is a technical development on the part of manufacturers, nuance ...
Sorry but I wasn't the one who talked about "merchant fashion", it's chatelot16. : Arrowl: :?
0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 12/01/14, 01:06

citro wrote:Sorry but I wasn't the one who talked about "merchant fashion", it's chatelot16. : Arrowl: :?

Oops, sorry, I'm a guru ... Image
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 13/01/14, 19:41

To go back to the 5000 hours of life of a car announced by Citro, I heard a nice figure today. Lubrication pumps used in difficult environments (variable temperature and pressure) which run 40 hours without maintenance other than visual analysis.

For my car, I may have spoken too quickly ... Today at the red light, I had to push it. Impossible to pass the first and second gear. The gear lever was floundering in the air ... Only the third and fourth were available. Arrived on the dish, I was able to loosen the 5 th by pushing a good blow on the lever and miracle, the first and the second were available again ... I hope that it is only a linkage problem ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 13/01/14, 21:31

ggdorm wrote:... I hope this is just a linkage problem ...
You need to inspect the linkage mechanism ...
It happens that the ball joints disengage, but in general it does not come back like that, you have to go under the car ...

Also checks the engine mounts, too much engine travel on its mounts can cause the controls to malfunction.

Anyway, check the linkage to make sure there is nothing that would have come off and would hinder the movement of the mechanism (like a tool forgotten during a repair, even if it may be that he fell on the road when everything was back to normal).
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 13/01/14, 21:48

Thank you very much Citro! I have never looked into the functioning of the linkage system. It is true that the first and second have always been a bit difficult to pass. I put that on a used car. I'll try to inspect it this weekend if there are no more problems before ...
I am no longer a few ball joints after having changed a ball joint and the stabilizer bars ... I still have a ball joint (not urgent) and I notice that the gimbals make a little noise in certain situations ( tight turn and acceleration to be passed over the universal joints). I should have better inspected the car when I bought it. We learn from our mistakes!
In my misfortune, I am fortunate to have a colleague who has a good stock of parts of saxo diesel and who resells me the new ones with a discount of 20% and give me used parts (cardans to come).
0 x