Construction of a small wind turbine

Renewable energies except solar electric or thermal (seeforums dedicated below): wind turbines, energy from the sea, hydraulic and hydroelectricity, biomass, biogas, deep geothermal energy ...
simpa
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Construction of a small wind turbine

by simpa » 25/05/13, 17:47

Hello everyone !

I plan to build a small wind turbine, before switching to a larger model!
My goal at the moment is to be able to light a few bulbs when there is wind, without storage therefore.

So I get a small fan to transform its engine into a generator.
I also recover on a dynamo lamp a printed circuit with a diode bridge, which if I understood correctly, allows me to have a direct current with the variable current that will provide me with the wind turbine.

So I have my fan with two wires coming out and my three wires going to my diode bridge.
But when I run the engine with a drill (to simulate the movement of the blades), the light does not come on.
Yet I think I measure a continuous tension? I did not understand too much there, because I thought that motor delivered a variable voltage ...
Here are some photos :

Image[/ Img]
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 25/05/13, 18:36

Welcome to Éconologie Simpa!

This small fan motor can not be used as a generator, you better find a DC motor with brush style heating fan on a car that you can find for almost nothing for scrap. You will also need to reduce the voting to avoid burning out the LEDs, you can use a LM78 voltage regulator-- purchased from Conrad, the hyphens are the voltage you need, ex: 05 = 5 volts. You can also push in a battery which will limit your voltage.
:D
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
simpa
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by simpa » 25/05/13, 18:47

Why can't it be used as a generator?
However, I note a tension & intensity ... Even if I think it's not high at all!
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 25/05/13, 23:47

simpa wrote:Why can't it be used as a generator?
However, I note a tension & intensity ... Even if I think it's not high at all!

Otherwise the iron which serves as a rotor cannot magnetize by itself and it works as a motor because you create the magnetic field using electricity on the winding but in generator you do not have this magnetic field necessary to excite the winding and therefore you can not use it as a generator.

Your tension and your intensity it is with the load and which reading you obtain?
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.

Criticism is good if added to some compliments.

Alain
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 26/05/13, 01:09

When you say continuous tension, I think you mean rather constant, and not variable with speed?

it's the kind that the current produced by your motor is ridiculously low, and comes up against the voltage where the led starts to drive ... and whatever the speed of rotation there is never enough to turn on the led

do not take care of the dynamo or the alternator ... start by making the wind turbine and then you must choose the alternator suitable for the wind turbine

this kind of motor is made for 3000rpm there is little chance that the wind turbine will turn at this speed

it's an asynchronous motor ... to make it an asynchronous alternator it's quite complicated: with a permanent magnet motor it's much simpler

do not try anything is the best way to drip ... tell us rather what means you want to put in this wind turbine ... a small toy or something bigger and more expensive?
0 x
simpa
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by simpa » 26/05/13, 02:34

My first goal, to see if it works well, is to light a greenhouse of 10m2 a maximum. I would like to save as little money as possible at the moment. The best would be with recuperation.

Then if I like it, why not make a larger model, invest to make it last, and use a wind turbine to provide me with electricity for my house! For that I will see to mount myself a permanent magnet motor, etc ...

For the moment, I plan to make blades with gutter remains, use wood remains, can I be a printer or scanner engine?

Thank you in advance for your answers!
0 x
Aumicron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Aumicron » 26/05/13, 13:08

Hello simpa,

You can watch an interesting realization of Francis Ternel on the site http://soupl.eole.monsite-orange.fr/

He had presented his idea here https://www.econologie.com/forums/eolienne-a ... 43-40.html
0 x
To argue.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 26/05/13, 17:34

well on a recovery engine can be 10 times cheaper than a new alternator ... but if the recovery engine is not used at the right speed and at the right voltage it will be 100 times or 10000 times less efficient so the value for money will be more zero than buying a ready made wind turbine

the same for the blades: we often see on the net history of blades cut in pvc tube ... blah, pvc is not a very solid material ... it can be used to make a very small toy .. as soon as you have to make it bigger PVC is too expensive and ineffective

start by doing a tour on wikipedia to calculate the propeller diameter it takes to make the power you want ... and you will see that it is necessary to make large enough ... therefore that it is ruinous to make n matter how
0 x