My grandmother was not green but was more than we do!

philosophical debates and companies.
Christophe

My grandmother was not green but was more than we do!

by Christophe » 12/04/12, 09:34

The environmental movement seen by a grandmother:

In a department store, a little old woman chooses the plastic bag for her purchases. The cashier reproached him for not getting into "ecology" and that only the young people were going to pay for the old generation who wasted all the resources of the planet! The old woman apologized and explained: "I'm sorry, we didn't have the ecological movement in my time". And she added:

- At that time, the bottles were really recycled. The store sent them back to the factory to be washed and refilled; we used the same bottles several times. We didn't leave empty offices and shops lit up all night, but we didn't know the ecological movement.

- In my time, we went up the stairs; we didn't have escalators in all the stores or in the offices. We walked to the local grocery store too. You didn't take your car every time you had to travel two corners. But, it's true, we didn't know the ecological movement.

- At the time, we washed baby's diapers; we did not know the disposable diapers. Clothes were dried outside on a clothesline; not in a machine swallowing 3000 watts. We used wind and solar energy to really dry clothes. But we did not know the ecological movement.

- At the time, we systematically recycled clothes that passed from one brother or sister to another. That is true ! we did not know the ecological movement. When packing fragile items to send by mail, we used padding such as newspaper or cotton wool, in boxes that had already been used, not bubbles made of polystyrene foam or plastic. Did you say ecological movement?

- In my day, we didn't take two or three showers a day to cool off, and when it was hot, we looked for shade, now you turn on the air conditioning. It is true that we did not have the ecological movement.

- At the time, we drank water from the fountain when we were thirsty; we didn't use plastic cups or bottles to throw away every time we wanted to take water. Whereas with an ecological movement… We filled the fountain pens in a bottle of ink instead of buying a new pen or new plastic cartridges; we replaced the razor blades instead of throwing the razor simply with each shave. But, it's true, we didn't know the ecological movement.

- At the time, children took their bikes to go to school instead of using the family car and mom as a 24-hour taxi service. Of course we didn't know about the ecological movement!

- At the time, the children kept the same schoolbag for several years, the notebooks continued from one year to the next, the colored pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners and other accessories lasted as long as they could, we n 'weren't buying new equipment with a new slogan each year. But, it's true, we didn't know the ecological movement.

- In my time, we had a power outlet per room, not a multi-socket strip to power the whole range of electrical accessories essential to young people today, these same young people who adhere for 3/4 to ecological ideas and movements .

In my time, it's true, we didn't know the ecological movement, but we lived each day of life with respect for the environment. So dear, please don't come to me ... give lessons in responsibility and respect for nature, starting with human nature, ... with your ecological movement!

You have to live with the times, but it's time to think.

Source: http://2ccr.unblog.fr/2012/04/02/en-ce-temps-la/

We can complete the list ... for example on food:

- In my time, I had my vegetable garden and when I bought fruit and vegetables from the local producer at the market they were almost all "organic", they were only seasonal and regional and the merchant managed to make a living of its production without subsidy ... At the time, there was no need for ecological movement!

Well it is rather "great" grandmother that we should say now ...
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My grandmother was not green but was more than no

by Forhorse » 13/04/12, 08:54

Christophe wrote:
Well it is rather "great" grandmother that we should say now ...

Yeah, and we could add:

In my time, we didn't bother with a waste collection and treatment service. We put everything in a hole at the bottom of the garden or in the forest, including plastic pots, chemicals and medicines ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/04/12, 13:40

Pfff flaps joy! :D

At the time of my great grandmother, I believe that the yogurt pots were still made of glass ... so returnable or reused ...

We generated very little waste per person! The waste, in tonnage per person, has only increased for decades!
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 13/04/12, 13:54

It reminds me of my youth and the vines of my late grandfather in champagne. (Oger 51)
Difficult to differentiate the sludge from the sewage treatment plant from the trash bags crushed in the vines.
Good fertilizer ladies and gentlemen !!!

It was a very long time ago
http://lapassionduvin.com/phorum/read.p ... 673,227856
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 13/04/12, 14:05

Yes, in addition to heavy metals from sewage sludge for a century in gardens with vegetables eaten by all of us, which have become banned !!!
Also dioxins in lots of places without knowing it at the time of my grandparents (your great grandparents) (we had nothing sensitive to measure)
Etc. ..
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/04/12, 14:09

You are confusing the generations there, right?

Great grandmother it was between the 2 wars, see before the 1st war ... according to your own age!

Good I quibble! : Cheesy:

Yes there has been much worse than now (soils, water ...)! But it was especially in the years 60-70 ... I think!
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 13/04/12, 14:19

Christophe wrote:You are confusing the generations there, right?

Great grandmother it was between the 2 wars, see before the 1st war ... according to your own age!

Good I quibble! : Cheesy:

Yes there has been much worse than now (soils, water ...)! But it was especially in the years 60-70 ... I think!

At the time of my grandparents, the concept of waste only applied to the human race, because the others did not exist!
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 13/04/12, 15:59

The good old days of lead, mercury, cadmium, asbestos, DDT, etc.

We brushed the animals with drain oil to treat them (it's no joke).

Radioactivity presented no danger at the time, the proof: we treated scabies with radium ointment.

The filth of yesteryear was concentrated in glaciers and these glaciers have now become sources of pollution. They reject all the old-fashioned filth. It is a serious problem.
0 x