Fukushima: information and report on the nuclear accident

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 16/03/13, 22:24

I just saw tonight on the 7 a documentary where we see that the Japanese did not know how their nuclear power station worked

the valves of the emergency condenser was closed in case of power failure ... it was necessary to open them manually ... and to go with combinations, not to turn back because of radiation

Worse, the water level indicator had a design flaw that gave false information in case of overheating ... fault already reevaluated by the accident of tree mile island! completely lamentable that it is not corrected since

I can not believe such terrible information ... it's not because I saw it on TV that I take it for real ... the level measurement in a boiler is the main concern of any driver since the first steam engine ... we are never satisfied with a single level indicator ... we always want several complementary indications for a simple coal boiler

are there also zero for a nuclear power station?

we see in the same report the decision to close the valves of the safety condenser when he boiled all the water it contained ... what a funny idea ... circulate the steam in a maximum of pipe could not hurt ... while waiting to bring firefighters or any other solution to add water to cool this condenser

one can understand the lack of power supply for 100kW pump ... but lack of power for control indicator that could have been powered by a handyman generator at 200 euro there is a serious problem!

I would like to be sure to understand everything ... seeing this documentary it is sure that it exploded because the Japanese are bad and have done everything wrong ... but I'm afraid it's propaganda for to make believe that the nuclear remains on when it is driven by people competant ... such error will never arrive in France

I would like to be sure

I'm not sure but I still think that in France we correct the visible design defect as the story of defect indicator level revealed at tree mile island, and still not corrected fukushima!

in France we have customs officers to stop the chernobyl cloud ... I hope we also have engineers to avoid design mistakes!

I do not even dare to correct the design error ... because the level control of a boiler we must not have any error to correct ... we must completely avoid any error before starting
0 x
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 16/03/13, 23:41

We, too, have been careful to put safety equipment in the basement floods;)
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 16/03/13, 23:43

in fact Chatelot, this kind of disaster is the fruit of an immense chain, often ramified, small incompetence and negligence put end to end.

Clearly, by adding small bullshit to little bullshit, we end up having a gigantic stupidity much bigger than the simple sum of small bullshit taken independently.

The responsibility is highly diluted, so much so that we have paradoxically no responsible, and also that culprits ...

It will happen the same kind of joke someday in France on one of the nuclear sites, whether production, enrichment or storage. The only question is when.

On Fukushima, the major mistake is not to have placed the backup gegen and cooling pumps in height. We preferred to place them well at the seaside in a flood zone

This with a lot of "intelligence" since we know that in Japan, tsunami are as rare as snow in winter and, more seriously that a nuke plant in the course of operation without the emergency diesel and / or the fuel bar cooling pumps makes a corium in a few hours ...

@+
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/03/13, 00:13

there is no small incompetance ... to drive a car you need a driver's license ... to drive a truck you need another ... to drive a nuclear power plant what is it?

when I see everything I've read about the old steam engine book, the importance of water level monitoring in boilers, and the importance of having multiple ways to fill them up. all circumstances! including the simplest: gifard injector, which can suck cold water only with the pressure of steam without any need for electricity or mechanics!

a gifard injector could have pumped all the water from the sea to cool and avoid the explosion ... of course the salt would have made the reactor definitely unusable, but it would not have exploded, would have been cooled as long as it must
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 18/03/13, 16:21

I still ask myself a question,
There is nothing to do, the condenser must eliminate the calories, but without electricity? water falls from the mountain?
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 18/03/13, 17:39

the condenser we saw in this show is a huge water tank with a steam coil down ... there is enough to absorb the power to boil the entire volume of water. .. I seem to have heard that it should hold 7 hour ... it's not very long but it allows to look for other way to fill

we must not forget that the power is not the nominal power of the power station, but the residual power it still does when the control bars are in the off position

7 hours it seems sufisant to repair pumps or genset in a rich country, or it is even possible to find outside means: a sufficient number of fire truck for example

but here it is harder in a country devastated by a tsunami
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 19/03/13, 05:43

ok, that holds the road as an explanation
Thank you Chatelot
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 19/03/13, 09:08

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/03/13, 09:12

bamboo wrote:Fukushima, it's not over!

http://www.francetvinfo.fr/panne-de-cou ... 84203.html

Uh the power failure, it lasts for more than 2 years now ... : Cheesy:
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 19/03/13, 09:55

Christophe wrote:
bamboo wrote:Fukushima, it's not over!

http://www.francetvinfo.fr/panne-de-cou ... 84203.html

Uh the power failure, it lasts for more than 2 years now ... : Cheesy:
It is not because the plant is stopped that it is necessary to stop the cooling ...
0 x