Y. Arthus-Bertrand and the Qatar football world cup

philosophical debates and companies.
Christophe

Y. Arthus-Bertrand and the Qatar football world cup

by Christophe » 10/12/10, 15:41

We are all full of paradoxes ... but some more than others all the same ..

I'm betting.

In 2022, there will be no World Cup in Qatar. Or in dramatic conditions.

I do not know if you did, but Qatar, the oil country par excellence, enjoyed the support of some curious ambassadors for its bid to host the football world cup in 11.

Zinedine Zidane who has been able to win 11 million euros. But also the photographer Yann Arthus-Bertrand who, since his commitment to the environment, is no longer a contradiction.

Formerly an official photographer of Paris-Dakar, sponsor and defender of irresponsible banks (Cortal, BNP), here he is supporting Qatar in this world competition of the round ball.

Diantre! By what semantic contortion will Yann Arthus-Bertrand be able to justify his support for Qatar? Here is the release. It's a masterpiece. An anthology. What did I say? A petrology (anthos-means flower ...)

Yann Arthus-Bertrand wrote: Because what I understood, and which interested me, is that, for the first time, a global sporting event aims for carbon neutrality, and because it will be done in Qatar, precisely the country. which today has the highest per capita ecological footprint in the world.
This objective will be achieved in particular thanks to 3 elements: the energy used will come from photovoltaic panels, air travel by spectators coming to Qatar will be offset carbon and the proximity of the various stadiums will limit travel; Qatar's candidature is therefore more favorable in terms of the environment than the other applications. But it must also be added that the stadiums were designed to be dismantled, so that they can be relocated to developing countries not benefiting from such sports equipment and this idea appeals to me.

What interests me, and it is in this spirit that works my foundation, GoodPlanet, is not only to denounce the criticisms, unfortunately too many, but especially to make known what makes things progress; we need innovation, creativity; and it is good initiatives that change minds and practices.
But the World Cup football will be held for the 1ère time in this part of the world, where the environmental concern is not the first concern; it can only advance the ecological consciousness.
That's just why I supported this project, which I found interesting; I hope I have not been wrong.

Should I finally say that obviously I did not touch a penny for having expressed my support in this video?
As for the film "Home", for which I worked during 3 years without receiving any remuneration, the help of the Qatar Foundation and Al Jazeera allowed its translation into Arabic and its diffusion in all the Gulf Countries, thus allowing it to be seen in total by 400 millions of people in the world.

Yann Arthus-Bertrand

Suite and source: http://www.eco-sapiens.com/blog/yann-ar ... -le-qatar/

With this event, we will witness the construction of the first fully air-conditioned stadiums...
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 10/12/10, 16:07

I just heard that the stadiums would be air conditioned in a revolutionary and environmentally friendly way. But I did not dig the question ...

(I am not sponsored by Qatar) : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/01/11, 09:40

Demonstration in 10 points: http://www.terra-economica.info/Pourquo ... 14658.html

Why a World Cup can not be carbon neutral

In Qatar or elsewhere, a sports event the size of a football World Cup inevitably generates greenhouse gases. Demonstration in 10 points.

Here are the main greenhouse gas emission stations, the preparation and organization of a World Cup (I tried to rank these elements in ascending order based on my personal experience, some positions of show may be missing):

1 / The operating emissions of the stadiums during the duration of the event.

2 / Workshops related to the work of the organizers for six years.

3 / Prints from the international press that will publish thousands of paper articles about the event.

4 / The travel of athletes, delegations, officials and visitors (the latter will probably be few in Qatar).

5 / The energy to make 1 TVs work at 2 billions of human beings who will live the event remotely.

6 / The manufacture of official merchandising, sold by the organizers.

7 / The construction of the stadiums, their eventual dismantling and their reconstruction in the final country (which will probably be a football amateur country).

8 / Hotel and private and public transport infrastructures that will have to be developed in the organizing country to absorb the event.

9 / The manufacture of new televisions that will be sold to new consumers (emerging countries) or replaced by planned obsolescence (developed countries) with "World Cup" promotions.

10 / The manufacture of all goods sold worldwide by the sponsors of the Cup (from the sports shoe to the refreshing drink).

If as actors we can not act directly on the first positions, however we have real levers on the latter.

On the other hand, what is certain about this perimeter is that the football World Cup will NEVER BE NEUTRAL IN CARBON, because the only costs to compensate for the emission of greenhouse gases would probably be around billion euros ...

In addition, a Cup organized in Qatar poses other problems, as emphasized by Bruno Rebelle on Libération:
- Almost insoluble issues on the water to supply stadiums and hotels to accommodate officials, sportsmen and visitors.
- Local conditions of employment in deplorable construction.
- Probable reinforcement of child labor for products made by sponsors.
- Registration of the event in the country without any "Legacy" that is to say no vision on what it will bring to the local populations in the long term.

In short, forget about Qatar and return in priority to the improvement of our direct and indirect emissions, at home, at work, on vacation, etc.

Fredo

PS: to read also, an interview I gave last June to Terra eco about the football World Cup in South Africa.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Y. Arthus-Bertrand and the FIFA World Cup in Qatar

by gegyx » 27/11/22, 22:12

Morocco wins Belgium 2-0, and yet...

Scenes of urban guerrillas in the center of the capital. / vandalized cars, mortar fire..

No, not in Doha of course, but in Brussels. :(
2 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/11/22, 08:50

Christophe in 2010 wrote:With this event, we will witness the construction of the first fully air-conditioned stadiums...

Waaaouh! What a visionary I was!

I knew I was a "conspirator" but not such a good "conspirator"! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

I even tweeted:

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/12/22, 18:42

What would be the reasons that Morocco could eliminate Spain?

I really wonder... : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:

They are on penalties, it is already a great achievement for Morocco!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/12/22, 18:52

Here Marco eliminated Spain... can we know the vaccination rate and type of vaccine used in each team?

Just saying...

: roll: : roll: : roll: : roll:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/12/22, 18:57

A short answer...

https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/tr ... meddah.pdf

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 18-56-02 Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Google News.png
Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 18-56-02 Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Google News.png (45.45 KiB) Viewed 1771 times

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 18-56-33 Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Google News.png
Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 18-56-33 Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Google News.png (44.38 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 06/12/22, 19:54

Are damn good to go in 1/2 final against Switzerland or Portugal.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 10/12/22, 22:19

Well Morocco has just beaten Portugal => big fiesta on the fields

France with a bit of luck all the same, has just beaten England 2-0 (Good Job…)

Semi final to come Morocco - France.

Let's hope that the semi-final will not start this evening on the fields, between the supporters of these two teams, present on the avenue. : Lol:
0 x