Failure (ignition) Berlingo essence

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 02/01/11, 09:57

aerialcastor wrote:In fact I would like to know is what makes the CO level so important?
And what is the value of lambda?

Could an engine cleaner do anything?

I doubt that there are simple adjustments to make (like a screw to turn)
I would check the spacing of the candles.

Lambda probes measure the oxygen level in the exhaust gases and allow the computer to continuously adjust the richness with a reaction time of a few milliseconds. The CO-CO² level makes it possible to check the proper functioning of the engine in its together, and consequently the efficiency of the catalyst, which depends on the gas chemistry. The catalyst can degrade and become ineffective if you tinker on the car, like a cylinder that does not light, start with the stroller and I pass ... A catalyst easily holds 200km sui the engine is well maintained.
An engine cleaner can have a positive effect if you drive a lot in town, the engine is tired, if you use poor quality fuel which clogs injectors, spark plugs, valves and combustion chambers ...
On modern injections there is no adjustment (there were on the old) because it self-adjusts, at most we can correct a drift (aging of the components) with the dealer terminal ... On recent cars, the spark plugs are most often multi-electrode and cannot be adjusted: they are changed at 60000-100 km depending on the manufacturers and the spark plugs used (and these spark plugs are very expensive) ...
You also have to understand one thing: when you bring your modern car to the garage (the first one that started with that is BMW), the latter plugs it into the terminal (this operation is sometimes a fairly expensive package) which is directly linked to the manufacturer, who checks a large number of parameters useful for flushing out malfunctions (such as non-standard probe) and also if there are software updates to be made (very common on multiplexed cars and can also involve modifications of the engine and gearbox management on the automatic ones)
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 05/01/11, 16:03

Question with what spacing should the candles be adjusted?

Because it does not seem clear to everyone some say that it is not regulated other than it is essential.

my engine number would be XU7JB or XU7JP, I can't find the plate on the engine to decide.

The lambda value is actually the proportion of air and therefore the inverse of the richness.
A too low lambda value (therefore too rich mixture) causes a too high CO value in the exhaust gases.
If I understood everything : Cheesy: But there is a little thing that tells me that it is probably more complex.

As I cannot play directly on the mixture, because it is an injection, we will have to find another explanation.
For the moment the only one I see is a blocked air supply, which may be a dirty air filter. But there are surely others.

The catalytic converter (called catalyst) also comes into play.
It could be rubbish so does not play its role in reducing pollution.
Is there a way to test this?
0 x
Save a tree, eat a beaver.
It is no use to succeed in life, what it takes is to miss his death.
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 05/01/11, 16:54

Simple we try different spacings of candles, (0,5mm to 1mm ???), at idle little effect, but very cold, very wet engine, weak ignition, which then refuses to start.
Otherwise measure consumption on a lot of Kms ...
We can average between different engines !!!

For the catalytic converter, it stinks of aldehydes at startup before being hot if it works, you can test its temperature with your hand and the odors with your nose, before and after the catalytic converter, the difference is indisputable !!
So dead the car stinks hot and not only cold !!

Unclog the easy air filter by blowing on it in reverse!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/01/11, 18:03

oiseautempete wrote:
when you bring your modern car to the garage (the first one that started with that is BMW), the latter plugs it into the terminal (this operation is sometimes a fairly expensive package) which is directly linked to the manufacturer, who checks a large number of parameters useful for flushing out malfunctions

Example of a colleague having a Caddy (which is the Kangoo from Volkswagen) that he brings to his dealer for the ritual review.

This plugs in the computer:

"Have you changed the rear right brake light bulb?"

Indeed, my colleague had changed it for a bulb purchased from Norauto or Feu Vert or something like that ... !!!
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 05/01/11, 18:05

]
dedeleco wrote:Simple we try different spacings of candles, (0,5mm to 1mm ???), at idle little effect, but very cold, very wet engine, weak ignition, which then refuses to start.
Otherwise measure consumption on a lot of Kms ...
We can average between different engines !!!

Simpler, you go to the Auto department supermarket. You find the technical review and the book on site, you will find your distance. : Mrgreen: There is also a paragraph with photo which tells you where is the data sheet of your engine.

Unclog the easy air filter by blowing on it in reverse!

OOuaipp! You don't leave an arm in there to buy a new one : Mrgreen: With the blow gun you will remove large dust, fine, those that clog well / clump with moisture and oil vapors, it is less safe.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Did67

by Did67 » 05/01/11, 18:23

aerialcastor wrote:In fact I would like to know is what makes the CO level so important?
And what is the value of lambda?

CO is a pollutant. Result of incomplete combustion of carbon (complete combustion gives CO²).
It is a toxic, odorless gas - the same as that emitted by improperly adjusted heaters.

It is this CO which makes it possible to commit suicide with the exhaust gases.

The legislator has therefore set a limit on the CO that a vehicle can emit. This is controlled by technical control (but can also be controlled by the road constabulary).

And therefore a good adjustment of the engine must avoid polluting too much which results in a sufficiently low CO level.

The lambda probe measures the O² level at the engine outlet. When you press the mushroom, the calculator does not inject the amount of fuel in proportion to the depth of your pedal. It checks that the engine receives enough O² to burn this fuel and injects only the fuel that can be burned.

The lambda probe is therefore a device which contributes to consuming less.

This avoids discharging into the catalyst (which does not like at all!) And then into the atmosphere of unburned fuels.

It is therefore also an anti-pollution instrument. Since there are some, the engines spit out much less the black smoke clouds, sign of a very incomplete combustion and reject less unburned hydrocarbons.

Me, from the time when I had petrol engines, I was not worried about the spacing of the spark plug electrode (old-fashioned spark plug, a curved electrode on the central axis): the thickness of the thumbnail works!
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 05/01/11, 18:28

Simpler, you go to the Auto department supermarket. You find the technical review and the book on site, you will find your distance. Mr. Green There is also a paragraph with photo that tells you where is the data sheet of your engine.

Happy family not stupid : Cheesy:
But the thing is that the only RTA that I managed to find on the internet corresponding to the vehicle is in German.
So I doubt that in carriage they have any.
That's why I wanted the engine number to look on the rta of another car.

Flytox wrote:
Dedeleco wrote:Unclog the easy air filter by blowing on it in reverse!

OOuaipp! You do not leave an arm there to buy a new one Mr. Green With the blow gun you are going to remove the big dust, the fine, those which clog well / agglutinate with humidity and oil vapors, it is less sure

At the same time I like the hack-offs, where you never know how long it will last. Besides, you don't even know if it works even at the start. But you're happy because you needed to queue at Noirauto

: Cheesy: : Cheesy:

Me, from the time when I had petrol engines, I was not worried about the spacing of the spark plug electrode (old-fashioned spark plug, a curved electrode on the central axis): the thickness of the thumbnail works!

Me neither, I was fighting the steaks but it seems that it's bad : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x

Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 05/01/11, 18:52

Did67 wrote:The lambda probe is therefore a device which contributes to consuming less.

This avoids discharging into the catalyst (which does not like at all!) And then into the atmosphere of unburned fuels.

It is therefore also an anti-pollution instrument. Since there are some, the engines spit out much less the black smoke clouds, sign of a very incomplete combustion and reject less unburned hydrocarbons.
Historically, it was the decision to impose the catalytic converter which made it essential to control the injection by means of a lambda probe to avoid its destruction by the excess of unburned fuel.
But (alas) the catalyst does not like the operation in excess of oxygen either (in fact it works well only when the combustion is close to the stoichiometric conditions).
The lambda probe is therefore responsible for keeping the “air-fuel” mixture close to these conditions.

This is unfortunately not the most economical mixture in terms of consumption, and we could gain nearly 10% by operating with a leaner mixture, but we are then unable to use a catalytic converter to "clean up" the combustion gas.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 05/01/11, 19:09

aerialcastor wrote:
Simpler, you go to the Auto department supermarket. You find the technical review and the book on site, you will find your distance. Mr. Green There is also a paragraph with photo that tells you where is the data sheet of your engine.

Happy family not stupid : Cheesy:
But the thing is that the only RTA that I managed to find on the internet corresponding to the vehicle is in German.
So I doubt that in carriage they have any.
That's why I wanted the engine number to look on the rta of another car.

Flytox wrote:
Dedeleco wrote:Unclog the easy air filter by blowing on it in reverse!

OOuaipp! You do not leave an arm there to buy a new one Mr. Green With the blow gun you are going to remove the big dust, the fine, those which clog well / agglutinate with humidity and oil vapors, it is less sure

At the same time I like the hack-offs, where you never know how long it will last. Besides, you don't even know if it works even at the start. But you're happy because you needed to queue at Noirauto

: Cheesy: : Cheesy:

Me neither, I was fighting the steaks but it seems that it's bad : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
And the dealer, it is not damn to sell candles at the right distance? If he has them you can ask him to check if they are and see that he gives you at least the spacing provided ...

You will just have to compare: in principle 0,8 corresponds to a flat match, that of the pockets ... you can also go to a hardware store to find gauges, you will use them to put your candles at the right spacing. .. then you will put them back on the shelf ... or you will buy them, which will save you time next time ...
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 05/01/11, 20:47

If it is to do it with a match I can do it by eye it is the same precision.
For now from what I saw it was 0.6 or 0.7 or 0.8 or 0.9mm

The wedged it costs 5 € so it's not a problem, then in addition it will help me to adjust the electrodes of the boiler.

It's more the story of the spacing that bothers me, although I still believe that they are factory adjusted to 0.7-0.8 mm according to my caliper.
0 x