CO2 Quotas Prevents Industry Reboot

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

CO2 Quotas Prevents Industry Reboot

by freddau » 16/10/07, 14:22

Arcelor Mittal, world leader in steelmaking, wants to restart a blast furnace in Liege to be able to meet current global demand for steel.

This restart is stopped by Brussels because of CO2 quotas allocated to Belgium and thus prevents the creation of jobs in the Walloon basin.

I think that we can speak of a first in terms of the consequences of CO2 quotas on employment.
This problem had also been referred to as the start-up of blast furnaces in Lorraine.

Christophe, what are the echoes in Belgium ??
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 16/10/07, 19:36

I heard about it at RTBF. It is probably the Walloon region which will bear the costs of purchasing additional allowances. Subsidized pollution, in short ...

Knowing that the purchase prices of quotas are set by a "carbon exchange" (and that the prices will increase with demand), it is once again the public authorities - and therefore the population who will allow speculators to earn even more money.
0 x
bolton069
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bolton069 » 18/10/07, 21:50

A conflict of gauff 'in short:

the waffles with juice 'against the waffles' with air : Lol: ,

success is likely to be relative, it smells like Belgian-Belgian private joke! 8)

More seriously, being Liégeois and concerned with the environment, I think it's really nonsense to reopen a blast furnace here.

Continental European steel was too expensive a year ago, is becoming profitable today thanks to strong demand, and if this same market slows down in a few years for, say, 10 years, we will close it and then reopen it.

With a financial, human and environmental cost for the Belgian state for closings (unemployment, ...) as for openings. (apparently quotas in this case: to be confirmed;)

Let us not forget that a lot of subcontractors who had Arcelor as their only or too important customer have put the key under the mat.

I know that the Walloon region needs jobs, but it would do better to invest the money it is preparing to invest in sustainable jobs that cannot be relocated and are less polluting (ideally non-polluting, but nobody is perfect, ...)

Investing in a virtuous circle in short, or we master certain risks associated with the companies involved, rather than going back to the good old habits of heavy industry with a global partner who does social and salary shopping around the world.

Some pious ideas to finish:

: Arrow: that we equip a max of places with useful cycle paths, instead of these P ... of 15 km of motorway to finish around Liège, and rather than RAVELs which are only used on Sundays for walks in family and lead nowhere useful.

: Arrow: Give insulation checks rather than fuel oil checks to the taxpayer, even effect on the temperature of the house in more durable.

Well, : Evil: takes his pills and goes to calm down. No, I'm not nervous. I'm green : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/10/07, 09:29

If I am in favor of such measures, it is obvious that in the absence of global homogeneous measures, these "CO2 against economy" measures only penalize certain regions / countries for the benefit of other countries ...

It is quite unacceptable for the 1st ...

Why would a tonne of American CO2 matter less than a tonne of European CO2? : Evil:
0 x