Palm oil: the sad renunciation of Hulot

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Palm oil: the sad renunciation of Hulot

by izentrop » 19/06/18, 12:31

dede2002 wrote:The Congo is the African country richest in mineral resources, more than South Africa, it is besides the reason of these fratricidal wars!
It is also one of the largest primary forest that remains, destroying it to make fuel will not "enrich" the country, since it cannot even manage with its precious metal mines ...
Except that it is a question of replacing moribund palms with new ones that are much more productive.
0 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 19/06/18, 19:45

If there was no hope of signing for 1,9 ® € for the purchase of Rafale by Indonesia, all this ineptitude would not be there.
Hulot has yielded to the lobby of the arms industry and hopes that Europe will ban this project: it's not me, it's him!

For palm trees, if we put a little money to find solutions to parasites that decimate the palm groves, we would have done at least something useful. We will not replace the palm trees datiers oil palm oil anyway.
Well, I'm told it's the plan. :frown:
0 x
Mike12721
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Mike12721 » 20/06/18, 09:39

Plant palm trees on a vacant lot.

Apparently I did not speak well.
The real question would be earlier in the following sense:

If I had to own a vacant lot in a tropical country, what would be the impact on the environment of planting palm trees for planting coconut trees?

Do palms need specific care (for example against Fusarium wilt, heart rot and seed dormancy) that require chemicals that are harmful to the environment?

Thanks for any answer,

Michel
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/06/18, 11:54

Izentrop, you write:
It is important that African democracies be strengthened to finally be able to grab a piece of the pie.

The democratic expression is not compatible with the countries subject to the economies of rent which are the mining extractions (in the broad sense): it is more the clans which express their domination in a brutal way, under a background of external pressures. A democratization of public life, in the sense that it takes place in the West, presupposes access to a form of economy that is significantly more distributive, which allows and requires a public consensus essentially through the control of opinions via the press and the media. media, but how do you think that palm oil comes out of the extractivist scheme?

As the note pertinently ENERC : all that to run cars! : roll:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 20/09/18, 22:26

Palm oil: Indonesia signs a three-year moratorium

The Parisian 20 / 09 / 2018

Palm oil supports millions of people around the world, including 4,5 millions in Indonesia and Malaysia alone. Reuters

The world's largest producer of this controversial vegetable oil suspends the availability of new land for oil palm plantations in the country. Not without a second thought.

This is a win for the associations that fight against the exploitation of palm oil, deemed destructive of forests. On Thursday, Indonesian President Joko Widodo has indeed signed a three-year moratorium on the development of any new oil palm plantation while the European Union is currently working on a ban on its use in agrofuels from 2030.

This moratorium suspends the provision of new land for the planting of oil palms in the country, the world's leading producer of this controversial vegetable oil widely used by the agri-food and cosmetic industries, in addition to serving as fuel.

"Ensuring sustainable development"

According to the deputy minister of the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Prabianto Mukti Wibowo, the suspension "aims to improve the management of sustainable oil palm plantations, ensure legal certainty, increase the productivity of smallholder plantations, ensure sustainable development and contribute to the reduction of greenhouse gases.

Indeed, in the face of the explosion of world demand, plantations have multiplied in recent years in Sumatra, Papua and the Indonesian part of Borneo Island, generating enormous profits for the exploiting companies and guaranteeing comfortable tax revenues to the government. But this growth has often been to the detriment of primary forest, razed to give way to plantations, and the many endangered species that it houses, not to mention the multiplication of fires during the dry season due to clearing illegal.

A timing not insignificant?

The idea of ​​such a moratorium was put forward in 2015, after fires had placed a whole part of Southeast Asia under a thick toxic fog. The Forum Indonesian for the Environment (Walhi) in a statement hailed President Widodo's decision as "a positive first step for a new management of natural resources, particularly in the palm oil sector", adding however that ideally, the moratorium would have to be 25 years.

Moreover, the timing seems very chosen. The Indonesian decision comes as the country fights alongside Malaysia against the European Parliament's wish to ban the use of palm oil in agrofuels from 2030. It must be said that palm oil is sustaining millions of people around the world, including 4,5 millions in Indonesia and Malaysia alone.

http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/huile- ... D-32280599
0 x