The "doomsday clock" advanced 2 min.

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Christophe

The "doomsday clock" advanced 2 min.

by Christophe » 18/01/07, 08:55

I was not aware of such a "clock":

LONDON (AP) — The symbolic "doomsday clock" of the Chicago-based "Atomic Scientists' Bulletin" was advanced two minutes on Wednesday to signify that the world is nearing a nuclear apocalypse and environmental catastrophe. . It now shows 23:55 p.m.

The eminent scientists of the board of directors of the "Bulletin", in charge of the clock since 1947, took this decision because of "the threat of a second nuclear age and the expected consequences of climate change". According to them, humanity is therefore approaching midnight, the hour chosen to symbolize a planetary cataclysm.

Their concerns are largely related to the nuclear crises with Iran and North Korea. However, "the dangers posed by climate change are almost as serious as those related to nuclear weapons", they point out. This is the fourth time the clock hand has moved forward since the end of the Cold War.

The "Bulletin" was created in 1945 as a newsletter for physicists concerned about the possibility of nuclear war, but has since focused more generally on threats to human survival.

The following: http://fr.news.yahoo.com/17012007/5/l-h ... nutes.html
Last edited by Christophe the 18 / 01 / 07, 16: 47, 1 edited once.
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 18/01/07, 11:02

Whoa, that kind of makes you shudder!

Christophe, I made 2 long answers in the subject "where to find bio fuel" which are not really in their place.

As I spent some time in my momentum, it would be nice if you could tell me where to paste them (with some small modifications) so that they are more in their context.

Goods.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/01/07, 15:33

+1 I was unaware of the existence of such a clock...Really weird, it looks like a disaster movie...

As for the post, tell me precisely where it is, and it's rather you who should know where to put them, right? Even if it means making a new TOPIC... I would then delete the 2 off-topic answers...
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 18/01/07, 16:25

As for the post, tell me precisely where it is, and it's rather you who should know where to put them, right? Even if it means making a new TOPIC... I would then delete the 2 off-topic answers...

..I'm taking care of it
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 20/01/07, 01:50

The (very) big "advantage" (if I can put it that way) of nuclear weapons is that anyone on this planet can immediately perceive their threatening character...

But what is the proportion of people who know that the simple fact of living as we live today, we Westerners, and tomorrow with India + China leads us in an equally certain way to a "non-future"?

And this is what will lead us all to our downfall...
It is "pleasant" to participate in climate change without realizing anything... So everyone wants to do it, it's normal... :|
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."