Serious accident of a hydro-electric power plant in Siberia

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
recyclinage
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Serious accident of a hydro-electric power plant in Siberia

by recyclinage » 17/08/09, 13:44

MOSCOW - Fifty-four people are missing after the accident in the main power plant in Russia, we learn from the authorities.
At least eight people were killed and 10 injured in an accident at Russia's main power plant and 54 people are missing. Water has flooded for a still unknown reasons one of the rooms of the Saïano-Shushenskaya plant, more than 3.000 km east of Moscow. (Reuters / Ilya Naymushin)

At least eight people were killed and 10 injured in an accident at Russia's main power plant and 54 people are missing. Water has flooded for a still unknown reasons one of the rooms of the Saïano-Shushenskaya plant, more than 3.000 km east of Moscow. (Reuters / Ilya Naymushin)

At least eight people were killed and 10 injured, a spokeswoman for the Russian Prosecutor's Office said.

Water has flooded, for reasons still unclear, one of the halls of the Saiano-Shushenskaya plant in Siberia, more than 3.000 km east of Moscow.

"There is no risk for the population," said Irina Boutenko, spokesperson for the Ministry of Emergency Situations.

An explosion could be the cause of the accident. Russian media is also advancing the possibility of a sudden rise in water levels.

RusHydro, which manages the plant, suspended production. Inaugurated in 1978, the Saïano-Shushenskaya plant supplies aluminum factories to the world's largest producer, the Rusal Group.

the express source news
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/08/09, 13:50

Yes ... there are industrial risks everywhere!

There have been 2 major disasters on hydroelectric dams in France and Italy in the 60 years making thousands of deaths downstream ...

Here is the Italian: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrage_de_Vajont

But will make it clear to an ecologist who thinks he knows that there is not only the nuclear power that is dangerous ... :?
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 17/08/09, 16:27

In fact, in industry, there is always a risk.
For example, I learned a few years ago from a manager of Electrabel plant, one of whose alternators had exploded (Verbrande Brug, Vilvoorde: 2 dead) that there was every year on average a big turbo alternator that exploded in the world (according to insurers)
In hydro electricity, a turbine that settles, it must also do a lot of damage
And let's not forget that concrete is not completely waterproof, it's cracking, it has to be monitored by strain gauges, etc.
I once visited the underground gallery of the dam of the Plate Taille (Near Walcourt, Belgium) I assure you that I was not too reassured: the fleet is pissing everywhere!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/08/09, 16:51

elephant wrote:EI once visited the underground gallery of the dam of the Plate Taille (Near Walcourt, Belgium) I assure you that I was not too reassured: the fleet is pissing everywhere!

Chuuuuuuuuuuuuut do not say it!

I think you would have been even less reassured in a BR ... (reactor building) ... but shhh!
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."