Notice: your favorite series Netflix, Amazon Prime, Salto, Canal + ... and elsewhere!

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Christophe

Notice: your favorite series Netflix, Amazon Prime, Salto, Canal + ... and elsewhere!

by Christophe » 25/05/21, 10:49

Tell me what series you watch (on VOD), I'll tell you who you are! A little regular cultural relaxation does a lot of good in the covid world, which is going through confinement!

We had a subject on films media / opinion-on-your-best-favorite-movies-to-recommend-to-see-or-advise-t10639.html but not on the series that you would recommend except for a few dedicated topics per series such as for example Breaking Bad.

Now that VODs are well established and generate hundreds of millions of dollars each month, many very good quality series are released regularly, especially on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

For Salto we will have to wait a little longer to get original production but there are already some cool series on it (in particular they had the Francophone exclusivity for FARGO S4): electricite-electronic-informatique / j-ai-tested-salto-le-vod-francais-a-la-netflix-app-android-a-la-rue-t16656.html

I also think that the series partly compensate for some current societal shortcomings (like the lack of links and sociability ... so we compensate with a regular "virtual" sociability with the recurring characters that we see regularly in our series and to which we end up becoming attached (more or less) ...

Personally, it is not uncommon for me to have a little pang in my heart when finishing a good series that I had really enjoyed and followed for weeks!

Which probably explains the success of series and the increasing number of quality series production ... or is it the other way around? No, it must be the company that doesn't mess around with the series that influence society! : Cheesy:

Another explanation is mercantile and marketing: it is easier to take a VOD customer captive with series than with films. For the simple reason of the lifespan of a series (and availability by non-legitimate means)

For each series I indicate its type, the number of seasons and episode and the overall duration, the origin and the year of the 1st broadcast (to find out if it is compatible with your desires and habits).

For the types of series here are the definitions: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A9ri ... %A9e#Types

Looped series

A looped series is a series whose the episodes follow each other independently from each other with recurring characters. This is the case with Malcolm (although some episodes are "to be continued" therefore in 2 or 3). Basically understand that each episode is wrapped at the end ^^

Anthology Series

A series in which the narrative structure is identical and repetitive between episodes or seasons, without recurring characters, but which fits into a generic framework, having a common theme, genre, spirit. Each episode is independent and tells a full original story, making it a true TV movie.

Serial

A soap opera is a series featuring a story that spans a full season of episodes, see more. One of the strengths of the soap opera is therefore that the viewer is "obliged" to watch all the episodes to know the outcome.

Serial-Series

A serial series (also called serial serial or feuilletonesque series, or even mixed series) is a series where two types of stories coexist at the same time: one that is completed at the end of the episode and one that spans several episodes. It is therefore a type of fiction intermediate between the soap opera and the series with curly episodes.

Mini-Series

Type series serial over a single season of a few episodes (usually 2 to 10) whose main story is over at the end of the season. It is possible to have spin-offs or sequel with a new story in case of success but not a direct sequel.

I'm starting with a cult series that is already a bit old (but the subject does not only concern new series):

"Malcolm (in the Middle)". Type: full-length series, 7 seasons, 151 episode of 21 min, approximately 52 hours. USA 2000

A little spoiler:

A good series "on everyday life" (to watch as a family so if possible) ... with parents who do what they can and kids who never miss one ... often exaggerated ! But the father, played by the excellent Bryan Cranston (the hero in Breaking Bad) is a teenager who is not always responsible! The evidence :

If we dig a little into each episode gives a little lesson in life: this series is educational! : Cheesy:

More informations :

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_(s%C3%A9rie_t%C3%A9l%C3%A9vis%C3%A9e)
https://www.lesinrocks.com/series/on-a- ... 6-07-2020/
https://hitek.fr/actualite/10-choses-sur-malcolm_9107

The series is somewhat reminiscent of Madame is served or Married, two children of the time (for the family life side) but much better ...
0 x
Christophe

Re: Notice: your favorite series Netflix, Amazon Prime, Salto, Canal + ... and elsewhere!

by Christophe » 25/05/21, 11:43

Fargo. Type: soap opera by season (seasonal soap opera?), 4 seasons, 41 episode of 48 min, approximately 33 hours, USA 2014

Inspired by the cult film Fargo (for season 1 only) from the 90s and also produced by the Cohen brothers,I think the series far surpasses the original production ! Original film that I saw again after the series and that I found ... tasteless and hollow ... (in 1h40 we cannot treat the characters and a story as in 10h of series ...)

The atmosphere, the storylines and the psychology of the characters are terrible.

Each season of the series is independent, with different actors; however the events of season 2 are mentioned several times in season 1. Each episode begins with "This is a true story" but in reality this mention is a nod to the film Fargo and has the sole purpose of deceiving the viewer

You can watch the series in any order you want.

The worst is the 3 in my opinion and I put the 1 and the 2 tied in 1st place.

Season 1

Season 2

Season 3

Season 4 (only on Satlo in France)

I agree with telerama: https://www.telerama.fr/series-tv/fargo ... 717571.php

“Fargo”, season 4 on Salto: broader, historical, political… but less endearing

The BA of the film

The wiki page: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargo_(s%C3%A9rie_t%C3%A9l%C3%A9vis%C3%A9e)
1 x
Christophe

Re: Notice: your favorite series Netflix, Amazon Prime, Salto, Canal + ... and elsewhere!

by Christophe » 25/05/21, 12:45

I just finished, The Spy ... it feels very strange, especially at the beginning, to see Sacha Cohen in a serious role ... : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

Tells the true and implausible story of Eli Cohen: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eli_Cohen

He is known for his espionage work between 1961 and 1965 in Syria, where he developed close relations with the political and military hierarchy and became senior advisor to the Minister of Defense. According to some sources, the intelligence he gathered before his arrest was an important element in Israel's victory over Syria and the conquest of the Golan Heights during the Six Day War.

The Spy. Type: historical serial mini-series, 1 season, 6 episodes of 50 min, approximately 5 hours. France 2019

Yes it's French despite appearances: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spy_(s%C3%A9rie_t%C3%A9l%C3%A9vis%C3%A9e)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/05/21, 12:57

I'm still rewriting a message on Breaking Bad but you'll find more info in this old topic: medias / breaking-bad-la-serie-masterpiece-in-October-on-arte-t9997.html

The series focuses on Walter White, an overqualified chemistry teacher and family man, who, upon learning he has terminal lung cancer, falls into crime to secure his family's financial future. . For this, he embarks on the manufacture and sale of methamphetamine with the help of one of his former students, Jesse Pinkman. The story takes place in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Breaking Bad, serial, 5 seasons, 62 episodes of 50 min, 52 hours approximately. USA 2008

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Bad

It's one of the best series in the history of TV according to pro and amateur reviews.

Breaking Bad had 2 spin offs: a prologue and an epilogue. See following messages.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/05/21, 13:21

I continue on the 2 spin offs of Breaking Bad, like that is done: Better Call Saul and El Camino (a film)

Better Call Saul, soap opera, 5 seasons (in production), 50 episodes of 50 min, approximately 42 hours. USA 2015

At the moment it's a Breaking Bad prelude, centered on the life of Saul Goodman, Walter White's corrupt lawyer.

I say for the moment because it takes place before Breaking Bad but it is quite possible that Saul will one day meet Walter White (a lot of Breaking Bad characters are already there) in one of the upcoming episodes (not yet seen S5).

Which would be interesting: we would have the same story seen in 2 different ways. It is a technique that exists in the cinema but which is rather rare and that I like a lot!

A little spoiler (but it's so complicated that it's okay):

El Camino, 2h movie, USA 2019

This is a Breaking Bad postlude, on the end of Jesse Pinkman's run in the months following the end of Season 5 of Breaking Bad

Not to watch without having concluded the series ... which would be without interest!

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Camino_:_Un_film_Breaking_Bad
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 25/05/21, 13:24

I probably miss a lot of things .... But .... I can not stay in front of a screen even for the short duration of a serial episode ... Without falling asleep .. .
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 25/05/21, 13:26

Macro wrote:I probably miss a lot of things .... But .... I can not stay in front of a screen even for the short duration of a serial episode ... Without falling asleep .. .

Me it is the opposite, I can swallow hours and hours of series without taking a dip.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/05/21, 14:21

I know that Macro but with Harry Potter ... never knew how to finish one ...! Crazy how these films put me to sleep as much as they fascinate certain other souls!

Otherwise do like me (and as everyone should live): work less you will sleep less on the sofa! : Mrgreen:

Knowing you, the Fargo and Breaking Bad universe (it's close) should really please you! Then Malcolm also seen how you talk about your kids! : Mrgreen:

Otherwise there is also Xanadu medias / xanadu-la-serie-classee-x-sur-arte-t10806.html but in the end I never watched it!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/05/21, 14:22

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:Me it is the opposite, I can swallow hours and hours of series without taking a dip.

Bin come on, share !! ('screwed up selfish : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: )!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/05/21, 14:58

I continue ... In the same theme as Breaking Bad but a different universe, Narcos is the story of Pablo Escobar and the cocaine trafficking in South America.

Narcos is inspired by real facts that relate to the fight of the DEA and the Colombian authorities against Pablo Escobar.

DEA agents Steve Murphy and Javier Peña actually existed. Boyd Holbrook and Pedro Pascal who play them on screen spent a day with them at the DEA training center. They advised the writers on the chronology of the facts and number of details. For Javier Peña, it was about describing to them "the lie, corruption, sex, love ..." which made the fabric of Pablo Escobar's life and of his stalking.

José Padilha integrated archival images in the production to get as close as possible to known facts. Thus in episode 4 we can see Luis Carlos Galán campaigning for the presidential election and in favor of the extradition of drug traffickers to the United States, the flight over the innumerable houses and properties of Pablo Escobar, a photo of Escobar charging drugs on a Nicaraguan tarmac bound for the United States, the assault on clandestine laboratories by the Colombian armed forces in the middle of the jungle and the capture of the Bogota courthouse by the M-19 guerrillas who would have been remotely guided by Pablo Escobar in his fight against extraditions.

I learned there that Pablo succeeded in being a deputy for a while and that he was doing "charity" for the poorest ...

Elected ephemeral until the rest of the political class denounces him ... not supporting a more rotten than her! : Mrgreen:

There are 3 seasons but Pablo's fall comes at the end of S2.

Narcos, historical soap opera, 3 seasons (2 + 1), 30 episodes, 50 min, 25 hours, USA 2015

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcos

His son, following the series, wrote a book and even talks about it on a TV set in France:

0 x