40% reduction in car fuel consumption

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 19/12/07, 23:17

Christophe wrote: it is precisely because they still currently have SHIT engines (econologically speaking, the V6 is the "base" and 10L / 100 is a very low consumption for them) that it will be very easy for them to lower consumption: they just need to copy foreign technology ... European and Japanese in particular. And voila :)

Oh, it's not just the engines, because good engines the Americans could do with them if they really wanted to, on the other hand there is no point in putting a high efficiency engine in a 2 ton aerodynamic pickup like a shoe box : Cheesy:
It must be admitted despite everything that this type of vehicle is very practical when you live far from everything, often at the end of a long dirt road, which is common as soon as you leave the "rich" coastal areas of the USA ...
On the other hand, I would have liked to ride a Honda insight a long time ago, but it has never been imported into France (there is however at least one that circulates in France because I saw it this year: it is undoubtedly the one that was used for the press demonstrations ... : Cheesy:
0 x
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Arthur_64 » 19/12/07, 23:24

The French solution: the cournil tractor !!! : p

0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher

by Other » 20/12/07, 01:05

Hello

I see that you know little about America and their way of living

first the cars are technically as advanced as the Europeans for a long time.
the catalysts are since the beginning of the 80s, the electronic ignition at the end of the 75s, the single-point and multi-point injection, with knock sensor became generalized on almost all cars in 1988, the transmissions almost fully automatic one manual transmission this is a special option many people do not know how to drive a manual car.
Obviously the engines are bigger, we are going from the 8 liter V5,2 to the 6 liter v3,8, the cars have more air conditioning and all electric gadgets, electric heated seat ect.

Initially the manufacturers make cars to sell them, Citroen and Renault are trying to sell them, but the clientele sulks these cars, we have to ask the question why? they failed the or WV succeeded?

The difference is where you don't see it
With an American auto of average displacement 3, 8l or more certain never changes the engine oil and this for sometimes
50 km he adds some, the oil of the auto transmission is from the rear axle very little exchange, nor the oil of the brake circuit, the antifreeze certain at 000 years, other never ..
At 87 km / h the engine runs at 1200rpm
At -30 it starts and there is heating in the cabin
you can run them on 300.000km without ever touching the engine.
just tires and brake pads that cost very little
for 80 $ you have two records and the set of pads .. (Made in Italy)

Now if you compare the European car do not forget to change the engine oil, and to maintain it well, the parts are quite expensive
Not uncommon to change bearings in WV jetta 2005 with low km, rack and pinion, cylinder head gaskets, the exhaust system does not exceed 6 years, (On my Buick 1989 it is the original)

The gar takes stock, purchases his car + maintains, repairs and fuel, (immobilization for repairs)
If we compare to a European car the total cost is higher.
If you go to Mexico with a GM Chevrolet you break a fan belt you will find it in any small garage, but a Renault belt you stay there.
Smarts are also sold, but the guys don't keep them for a long time, they resell

As long as the fuel is available I see no immediate change in habits
The economic question comes before the environmental question

The American bill is only for the next decade (2015 under reservation)

Andre
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 20/12/07, 08:54

Agree with you André, but what do you do with the cost of fuel?

And then if we do not know America, I do not tell you about it, I have the impression that on your side of the Atlantic, you have a lot of prejudices about European cars!

Parts are expensive at home because you have to import the parts. If we were to buy American, the parts would be very expensive too.
You are talking about your Buick 89 with original exhaust, you would have bought a German at the same time, you would still have your original exhaust and I have never seen a VW exhaust that did not exceed 6 years!

Now, it may be that the European vehicles you receive do not have the same quality (materials, ...) as on the European market. Which would not surprise me for reasons of production costs and also because the American standards are less demanding on certain points!

Finally, all that to say that here in Europe, we can make the same assessment in terms of the cost of purchase + consumption + maintenance of American vehicles and preferred to buy European.

In addition, the European way of driving and the European road network are not at all the same as in America.
The solution to reducing emissions is not to buy from Europe, but rather to create a fuel-efficient vehicle that meets the needs of the American market.
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Other

by Other » 20/12/07, 15:08

Hello
I have never seen a VW exhaust that did not exceed 6 years!

We drive for 5 months in calcium, the roads are wet in winter because they spread tones of salt.
For the exhaust on a Mercedes it is of the level of a Buick
Not on a Renault or Peugeot (stainless steel rather not standard)
fuel fluctuates around $ 1 per liter (so not the first criterion when buying)
A large Michelin tire versus a small tire the difference is small on the price.

Nothing prevents Renault, and Peugeot, Citroen to sell vehicles in America, Honda, Toyota, Kia, Suzuki, are doing well. Why?

It's not prejudice, it's that you have to try and compare them.

A salable car must start at -30 to have a certain comfort, the cars sleep almost all outside in summer and winter, like Husky dogs, a car is a tool for moving around, not a bebel which must be treated with small onions, rub and hide under a cover .. Not a car or you have to treat it at the dealership, every month, a car you put gasoline you turn the key and you drive .. Some drivers do not know how open the hood and ask for their step or is the spare wheel and the jack.
so cars without maintenance which run without worries.

Andre
Last edited by Other the 20 / 12 / 07, 19: 28, 1 edited once.
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 20/12/07, 15:18

Maintenance-free cars will soon no longer exist, even in America.

As for the escape of the French, it may be true what you say but I do not know. I've always driven in German so I'm not going to judge!
0 x
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 20/12/07, 18:17

I just changed my rear silencer (bmw 1984) rotten for 2 years, it holds! for our salty roads. It's true that our French cars are modern: it's consumable !! : Evil: , now they are not even repairable in case of electronic pb !!! (it was seen !!)
to come back to the big V8, pantone, 'was there not an experimental model consuming in the 7 / 8l / 100 ??? I'm not I fell back on these pages! :| this would save over 40%!
for my deuch, I always make 20%, I realized that the counter was necessary! (long live portable gps !!) at 90 km / h I'm really at 105/110 !!! so for the 10l / 100 you will understand! because foot to the board (which is a sheet! :P )
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 20/12/07, 18:23

denis wrote:I realized that the counter was necessary! (long live portable gps !!) at 90 km / h I'm really at 105/110 !!! so for the 10l / 100 you will understand! because foot to the board (which is a sheet! :P )

Ouch, hello the risk of photos of polizeï !!! :?
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."