electricity consumption record broken Monday in France

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 18/12/07, 00:56

Monday December 17, 20:13 p.m.

France broke a electricity consumption record on Monday with a peak of 88.960 megawatts at 19:00 p.m. (18:00 p.m. GMT), due to the cold wave, announced the Electricity Transmission Network (RTE) in a press release.

(Publicity)
The previous record of consumption was dated 27 January 2006, with 86.280 MW.

"This strong demand for electricity is due to the cold wave observed for a few days. The temperatures recorded today are 6 ° C lower than seasonal norms", explained the RTE.

According to the manager of the French electricity network, a drop in temperature of 1 ° C in this season "leads to an increase in electricity consumption of around 1.700 MW, or the equivalent of double the consumption of the city of Marseille ".

The RTE also specified that at 19:00 p.m., France exported electricity to England, Belgium, Italy and Spain, up to 3.500 MW, or 4% of consumption.

Imports amounted to 5.100 MW from Germany and Switzerland. "The balance of trade with neighboring countries was therefore an importer of up to 1.600 MW, or less than 2% of the recorded consumption," noted the RTE.

"This peak in consumption should draw the attention of the French to the importance of controlling electricity consumption", concluded the RTE.

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/afp/20071217/t ... 567_1.html

They are "swollen" to ask for the control of the consumption of electricity while everything is done so that the newly built homes are equipped with electric heating or even heat pumps.
Last edited by jean63 the 18 / 12 / 07, 12: 38, 1 edited once.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/12/07, 09:26

Roh is that amazing? Thank you the heat pumps as you say ... and say that the escrologists who sell them talk about savings and renewable energy ... : Evil:

Otherwise at the time of energy consumption reduction I am extremely surprised by the difference between the 2 records from 86.280 to 88.960 it is more than 3% increase! In absolute value it is 2 MORE NUCLEAR REACTORS AT FULL LOAD !!

So long live the German coal power plants ...

: Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/12/07, 12:25

0 x
jonule
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jonule » 20/12/07, 10:43

Electricity consumption records confirm the failure of the French nuclear option

Despite the need to save energy, France has once again beat its electricity consumption record with a power demand of 88,9 GW at 19 p.m. Monday, December 17 and 88,2 GW, Tuesday, December 18. to 19h. However, if the temperatures are cool, they are not extreme. So how to explain such consumption which forces France to import electricity?

This situation is the direct consequence of the “all nuclear” imposed in France for thirty years: to legitimize the construction of 58 reactors, EDF and the State have set up the largest electric heating park in Europe [1], which leads to an overconsumption of electricity and which, moreover, is a ruinous mode of heating for consumers. Electric heating, which impairs the purchasing power of the poorest households, is moreover prohibited in Denmark in all new constructions.

Nuclear, whose production lacks flexibility, is unable to respond to the peak consumption for which it is responsible. In fact, when it is cold as it is now, it is necessary to operate coal-fired and fuel oil-fired plants that emit a lot of CO2, but also to import electricity at high prices from neighboring countries. But will the latter still be able to supply the missing electricity to France? Is France not under the threat of a shortage of electricity in the event of further drops in temperature and / or unavailability of means of production?

However, it is possible to quickly get out of this energy deadlock. According to the study on nuclear exits in 5 or 10 years published by the Network "Sortir du nuclear" [2], a vigorous campaign to save energy and renewable energies over 5 years could reduce electricity consumption by France by 20%. For this, it would be necessary to launch an insulation program for old buildings and replace the most energy-hungry equipment (household appliances and lighting) with sober appliances. Electric heating and electric water heaters should also be replaced by biomass heating systems (wood, crop residues, organic waste) and by solar thermal panels.

Energy savings and renewable energies would allow France to really improve its energy independence and would significantly reduce its energy bill. These programs would also create many more jobs than the construction of the EPR nuclear reactor in Flamanville, an unnecessary and dangerous investment.

It is high time to change the way we produce and consume energy to avoid these consumption peaks and the risks of shortages.

[1] 7 million households heat themselves with electricity in France.

Exit Nuclear Network
Federation of 800 associations
http://www.sortirdunucleaire.org
T. 04 78 28 29 22
Press release of December 19, 2007
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 20/12/07, 11:08

Well, I'm not the only one who thinks that heat pumps are scams !!! : Mrgreen:

Such peak consumption with all-electric, it's not surprising !!!
Many people believe that electricity equals ecology. This is still very rarely the case !!!
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 20/12/07, 11:19

Gregconstruct wrote:Well, I'm not the only one who thinks that heat pumps are scams !!! : Mrgreen:

Such peak consumption with all-electric, it's not surprising !!!
Many people believe that electricity equals ecology. This is still very rarely the case !!!

I met my heating installer yesterday (1985). 22 years ago he installed the same floor heating at home with an air-water heat pump. He is now 75 years old. He told me that he had abandoned this scam: the last straw! a heating engineer who is fired at the end of his career. : Lol:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 20/12/07, 11:23

It is indeed a roof!

A heat pump can only really work ecologically in countries like Iceland for example.
When you sit on one of the world's kettles, everything comes from geothermal energy, including your electricity (logically).
Outside such regions, it is ridiculous and stupidly polluting !!!
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 20/12/07, 11:23

I don't care,

I do not heat at home ............ it is the neighbor below who heats and I still manage to have 12 ° C in the apartment. C not bad.

So long live HLM with beautiful insulating external walls and thin floors like leaves, to let the heat through.

I'm going to invite my neighbor downstairs for a drink, it must be something of all his expenses.

slt
the Frédo

:)
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 20/12/07, 11:25

You have a very energy-consuming neighbor below !!! : Shock:
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 20/12/07, 11:40

They have a kid .... and the guy comes from hot pys.

It must be that apparently.

In addition I recover then ....... it's a little parasitic anyway ...
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."