Auto industry: Volkswagen veers ... 4000 Belgians!

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Christophe

Auto industry: Volkswagen veers ... 4000 Belgians!

by Christophe » 21/11/06, 17:14

We almost hear that on the radio ... and for good reason ... 2000 layoffs expected it will finally be 4000 ...

Production of the Golf will leave the factory of German automaker Volkswagen in Forest for the benefit of two German sites, which will lead to the loss of two thirds of jobs, said Reinhard Jung, chairman of the board of directors of VW Forest. The unions are in shock.

http://www.lesoir.be/dossiers/vw_forest ... 5468.shtml

The management of the German car manufacturer Volkswagen has decided to cut around 4.000 jobs in its Brussels factory in Forest, where some 5.200 people work, we learned Tuesday from a Brussels union source After announcing "between 3.500 and 4.000 redundancies. jobs, "union officials ended up evoking the figure of 4.000, announced during the meeting of an extraordinary works council on Tuesday morning. According to them, management intends to keep around 1.500 employees, casting doubt on the eventual survival of the plant. "This is the biggest disaster we have experienced so far," said Pascal Van Cauwenberge, delegate of the Christian union CSC at Volkswagen.

http://www.lemonde.fr/web/depeches/0,14 ... 46,0.html*

4000 employees is more than 10 000 people "affected" ... that is to say 1 Belgian in 1000 !! It's huge !
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/11/06, 17:33

2 small remarks:

1) The French equivalent (in proportion to the population) would be that of a dismissal of 24,000 people ! Worrisome, isn't it? For France such a dismissal never happened I believe ...

2) Causes of this fact? Competition from relocation, search for ever better profits or the first signs of the "all car" slowing down? Probably a little of the 3 ...
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 22/11/06, 01:41

Volkswagen is one of the few manufacturers to do well on the European and global market. Only the Japanese have made good scores lately, but it is thanks to their big increase in market share in North America to the detriment of the Big Three (Ford, Chrysler, GM) who are downright in the red.

Otherwise the market tends to stagnate, maybe the beginning of a decline. And given the dependency rate of French employment in the automobile, it will hurt a lot (especially since PSA and Renault are not among those who are doing the best in these hard years for the automotive market) .

It is only the beginning of the big slate that we will have to pay willingly or by force. Automobile decline (not that ...) is inexorable for simple questions of oil decline and rising fuel prices. It will come at a high price, but given the complete ineptitude of the "Earth-Platist" economic system which requires permanent and exponential growth for things to go well, we will have to come back to Earth one day or another.

The third millennium begins and given the program, I feel that it will not disappoint the historians of the year 3000 (the lucky ones) : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/11/06, 09:20

Exact Rulian ... some clues of the end of the overcons (ommation?) Society like "I change car every 2 years ... to show off in front of my neighbor or colleague"

Otherwise small correction, this morning on the radio, they announced the figure of 10 jobs directly threatened (subcontractors) by these 000 layoffs ... or a "French" equivalent of 4000 unemployed at once ... :|
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 22/11/06, 10:52

Who spoke of weapons of mass destruction ...........

Are you talking about subcontractors ??
Hmm, that takes into account, the bakers, restaurant owners, stores / movies who lived around.

What I love is the words of the bosses who say that they only have 5000 employees without counting the intermediaries, subcontractors, and the population that revolves around them.

The gold of the Arcelor-Mittal battle, surprises will certainly happen, the Russian boss who was supposed to save Arcelor, said he was responsible for a town of roughly 50.000 inhabitants, I believe.
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 22/11/06, 16:01

freddau wrote:Hmm, that takes into account, the bakers, restaurant owners, stores / movies who lived around.

It is not the subcontractors but the indirect jobs that Christophe wanted to talk about.
0 x