Good news: a near habitable exoplanet (humor)

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Good news: a near habitable exoplanet (humor)

by elephant » 25/04/07, 22:27

Good news: researchers from the University of Geneva, associated with researchers from the University of Lisbon using the new ESO telescope have found the first "habitable" exoplanet 20,5 light years away .

I suggest that we use our latest energy resources to go that far: there are no longer enough places to pollute without making everyone moan here!

only problem: how are we going to verify that this planet is still "virgin"?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 26/04/07, 08:37

Why humor?

It's the door next to 20 light years away

It remains to find a way to move at 50 times the speed of light (Heim's hyper propulsion), a source of energy (the z-machine?)

No problem :D
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/04/07, 09:02

Interesting, what do you hear not "habitable"? Do you have a little more info?

If the atmosphere and the "solar" flux (I don't know if we can speak of solar anywhere other than in our solar system, so we should perhaps say "stellar"?) Are close to those of our Earth, there is there is a good chance that life has also developed there now it is necessary to determine at what level of evolution this potential life is located (from bacteria to green man : Cheesy: ). It is probably less advanced than our life on Earth if not "they" would have already greeted us ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 26/04/07, 18:49

Christophe wrote:Interesting, what do you hear not "habitable"? Do you have a little more info?

Article seen on www.orange.fr :

A "habitable terrestrial-type" planet capable of harboring extra-terrestrial life has been detected for the first time by a team of astronomers in an extra-solar planetary system, according to a study to be published Thursday in the journal Astronomy and Astrophysics.

This exoplanet, which orbits the star Gliese 581 (Gl 581) 20,5 light years from our planet, is the first and the lightest of some 200 known to date to "have both a solid surface or liquid and a temperature close to that of the Earth ", according to its discoverers.

It therefore brings together the characteristics "making it possible to imagine the existence of a possible extraterrestrial life", underlined in a press release the National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS), of which three associated laboratories participated in the discovery, with researchers from the Geneva Observatory and the Lisbon Astronomical Center.

The average temperature of this “super Earth is between 0 and 40 degrees Celsius, which allows the presence of liquid water on its surface”, according to the main author of the study, Stéphane Udry (Geneva).

In addition, he added, "its radius would be 1,5 times that of the Earth", which would indicate "either a rocky constitution (as for the Earth), or a surface covered with oceans".

The gravity on its surface is 2,2 times that on the surface of the Earth, and its very low mass (5 times that of the Earth).

Discovered with the 3,6 m "Harps" telescope of the European Space Observatory (Eso) in La Silla, Chile, this planet orbits in 13 days around the star Gliese 581 (Gl 581), of which it is 14 times closer than the Earth is to the Sun.

Gl 581, a red dwarf star with a mass less than a third that of the Sun, is one of the 100 closest stars to our solar system. Of very low mass, the red dwarfs are privileged targets for the search for habitable planets. As they are relatively dim, their habitable planets orbit close to them and are therefore more easily detectable.

"Due to its temperature and its relative proximity (to Earth), this planet will most likely become a very important target for future space missions devoted to extraterrestrial life," said another author of the discovery, Xavier. Delfosse (University of Grenoble).

A first exoplanet was detected around Gl 581 by the same team of astronomers two years ago. Its mass - 15 times that of Earth - was comparable to that of Neptune and it orbits its star in 5,4 days.

The discoverers of "super-Earth" also observed a third planet around Gl 581. With a mass eight times greater than the Earth, the latter performs its orbit in 84 days.

Given the results obtained so far with the Harps (High Accuracy Radial Velocity for Planetary Searcher) instrument, "finding a planet of the mass of Earth around a red dwarf is within reach", finally believes another author of the study, Michel Mayor.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 26/04/07, 19:52

Super, a new paradise to pollute and devastate once we have made it permanently uninhabitable.

Do not be overly happy with this kind of discovery, it gives food for thought to supporters of "work more to earn more, buy more and pollute more".

Because indeed, what is the problem of rotting this planet if we have a spare?

Last appearance in the "everything is disposable" catalog: the planet.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
ThierrySan
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by ThierrySan » 27/04/07, 12:13

I will say first like Maloche, why humor ?!

I can't wait to find out more ...
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 27/04/07, 12:17

ThierrySan wrote:I will say first like Maloche, why humor ?!

I can't wait to find out more ...

I think that "humor" is to be compared to "good news" for the reasons I explained in my previous post.
Finally, me, that's how I see it.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 27/04/07, 15:43

well I naively thought that the idea of ​​going to pollute another planet would make you smile (or cry) and I specified humor in case an unaccustomed would have taken me for a barge!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 27/04/07, 18:17

Christophe wrote: now we have to determine at what level of evolution this potential life is located (from bacteria to green man : Cheesy: ). It is probably less advanced than our life on Earth if not "they" would have already greeted us ... : Mrgreen:

If they are a few million years (which is little on the scale of the universe) ahead of us, there is little chance that they will want to greet us, just as we n 'do not feel the need to greet ants when we pass an anthill ...
It seems to me that the novelty does not lie in the existence of this planet, but in the fact that there are now instruments precise enough to detect such small cosmic objects.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 27/04/07, 18:24

yes, it is far from the lip cup of the mushroom to the little green men.

Perhaps life has not developed as quickly as with us:
therefore, not enough oil (which are old forests, just like coal)

gravity is higher: therefore even less obvious to fly away, to orbit, to free oneself from the orbit

or so, as said cui cui they actually find that we are not frequentable and they are right

or they were as stupid as us and are all dead

(dolphins are smarter than us: no pockets, so no money, so no taxes, etc ....)
0 x