Europe hit by giant power outage

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 05/11/06, 19:40

this cut was very weird ...

in Angers, there were some neighborhoods that were cut, and not others ...

I was not cut, and a friend who lives 400m away was cut for 45 minutes ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 05/11/06, 20:49

Rulian wrote:Uh Bham (and everyone), when you copy / paste an article like that, could you quote the source to put a link please? It helps to know what we are talking about and improves the credibility of the discussions.

Goods.

+1 I say it every time but apparently it does not fit ...

Otherwise in terms of info we have seen nothing here in Belgian Luxembourg ...

Otherwise this kind of thing is likely to happen more and more often with the liberalization of energy ...
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 06/11/06, 20:10

Bham: thanks for specifying the source.

Otherwise, the question is not linked to the liberalization of energy since the electricity (the TEN) and gas (the GRT) transport networks are managed by organizations that are admittedly private, but in absolute monopoly and under state control ( in fact, energy sellers pay rights of way on the transmission network, but do not intervene technically. On the other hand, for distribution networks, it is not that simple). I think the real problem comes from the fact that the electricity transmission network is very interdependent between EU countries, but there is no regulation at European level. Each does its little business on its national network without asking the question of the effects on the neighbor's network. This is what we witnessed.

Welcome to the era of energy difficulties. It wasn't even the first sip of the aperitif ... the best is yet to come !! : Mrgreen:
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 06/11/06, 21:55

For the breakdown in Germany: usual normal cut-off of a high voltage line above a watercourse to allow a ship to pass safely, but… .human error? The overloaded network did not support this additional overload ... The incident could have been confined to the region, well no, all of Europe is interconnected, even Morocco.
What is curious is that it is not Germany in lack of energy, which was in the dark, but France and Italy which in surplus of electricity, were in the process of supplying it. … Weird, weird!
I thought that when a country was asking for and buying electricity, it was done for a certain planned flow, and not beyond the quantity necessary vital for the good functioning of the selling country. There is still a lot of shenanigans of €, because the kw sold are negotiated more expensive, according to the demand. Would this be done at the expense of the producing country? It would be to be deepened. Our national EDF, our nuclear power plants that we export all over the world, don't give a damn about the inhabitants of the country that financed them! This is the truth.
---------
Another unrelated curiosity, the next day, a blackout depriving 1,5 million homes in Japan. I'll give it to you in a thousand: a pontoon crane cut a high line above a stream. Nothing to see, but a coincidence all the same.
0 x