Nitrogen dioxide: which pollutes the most?

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Nitrogen dioxide: which pollutes the most?

by jean63 » 29/01/06, 10:57

New in Wanadoo / Clermont-Ferrand : Arrow:

Peak of pollution with nitrogen dioxide in Clermont-Ferrand
The level of nitrogen dioxide pollution exceeded the recommendation and information threshold in Clermont-Ferrand on Wednesday morning, announced Atmo Auvergne.

The nitrogen dioxide concentrations, recorded Wednesday at 09:00 am in two measurement stations in Clermont-Ferrand, amounted to 273 and 293 micrograms per cubic meter, said the Association for the measurement of air pollution in Auvergne (Atmo Auvergne) in a press release.

The recommendation and information threshold is set at 200 micrograms per cubic meter.

This situation reflects widespread pollution in the Clermont-Ferrand-Riom-Issoire region. The accumulation of this pollutant, mainly of automobile origin, was favored by the high pressure conditions which limited the dispersion, according to the same source.

The previous episode of nitrogen dioxide pollution dates back to December 15, 2004.

It is recommended for frail, asthmatic or allergic people to avoid intense physical and sports activities. Road users are invited to reduce their speed or to use public transport or carpooling.

2006 © AFP

What do you think? who pollutes the most? who sends the most NOx into the polluted atmosphere of cities?

I think I know part of the answer but I would prefer advice from the pros: econology, andré, nlc, asgard, benoit, jean-françois, cuicui, professor .. (from Grenoble) ..... etc : Idea: : Arrow:

Thank you for your answers : Arrow: : Arrow:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/01/06, 12:34

A large part of the nitrogen oxides is due to road transport (see ademe or aspa for details).

Even modern vehicles (Hdi ...) are struggling to reduce these pollutants .... Nox, antiNox or DeNox process traps have not yet been fitted to private vehicles for cost reasons. By cons these solutions are for recent industrial engines (injection of urea on trucks or water on marine engines for example)

The other big polluter in Nox is intensive agriculture with overdose of nitrogenous fertilizers (but on this side the worst was done in the years 60-70 ... We come back to more "normal" dosages)

For the moment, we are satisfied with the "DIY" solution that is the EGR (see recent article on this subject on the forum https://www.econologie.com/forums/a-propos-d ... t1419.html )
Last edited by Christophe the 31 / 08 / 08, 21: 36, 1 edited once.
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 29/01/06, 13:07

So I think I have the answer : Cheesy:

In the report http://www.citepa.org/publications/Inventaires.htm#inv4 (p 47) of CITEPA, we find the figures of the IPCC (large world organization specialized in GHG): the NOx emissions in 2003 are distributed on the different sources in this way:

Transport: 53.5%
Residential, tertiary, agriculture combustion: 19.1%
Combustion energy transformation: 14.3%
Combustion industry and construction: 11.3%
Other sources: 1.5%

Here is. So I think the answer is clear. It's good transport and therefore massively the car : Evil: which rots oxygen the most with NOx.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/01/06, 13:42

And that´s it :) Thanks Rulian!

So transport contributes 2 times to the greenhouse effect: by CO2 AND NoX (also a powerful greenhouse gas) ... but "fortunately" they release more CO2 than NOx ...

Too bad that agriculture does not have its own share and evolution ... to compare compared to the figures of the 60s and 70s and break the popular accusing thought of peasants like GREAT POLLUTORS (in order to blame the others ... . of the selfish behavior style "Not In my Background") ... And even if there is still a lot to do in this area, particularly in terms of pollution of groundwater, the situation is less worse than before!
0 x
nlc
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Nitrogen dioxide: who pollutes the most?

by nlc » 29/01/06, 14:02

jean63 wrote:I think I know part of the answer but I would prefer advice from the pros: econology, andré, nlc, asgard, benoit, jean-françois, cuicui, professor .. (from Grenoble) ..... etc : Idea: : Arrow:

Me a pro !! ???
There must be an error on the person, with regard to pollution I know absolutely nothing! : Cheesy:
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 29/01/06, 14:51

OK, thanks

Among NOx, which sends the most :?:

- Gasoline
- Diesel
- LPG
- CNG
- Essence + pantone
- Diesel + Pantone

How much could we hope to reduce these emissions if we branded ALL vehicles in circulation :?: : Mrgreen:

What vehicles should we start with?

- Diesel trucks
- Diesel / petrol vans
- Diesel / petrol passenger cars ........ I probably ask a lot but at first glance, we can have a little idea :?:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 29/01/06, 16:39

I am very concerned by this pollution ...... well, almost because 13 km south of Issoire .... in the countryside .... : Arrow:

This situation reflects widespread pollution in the Clermont-Ferrand-Riom region-Issoire. The accumulation of this pollutant, mainly of automobile origin, was favored by the high pressure conditions which limited the dispersion, according to the same source.

With the snowfall everything was purged; I heard of the regional news FR3 Auvergne that evening, that we had observed an increase in the peak of pollution at the hours of maximum attendance of cars in town ... it's very clear. Soon to Clermont-Ferrand tramway, but there will still be cars.
I heard or read that a study on pollution in Paris, since Delanoé widened the bus lanes, had stagnated or even increased given that cars remain blocked longer at red lights !!! : Evil: :!: .........and for good reason.
The solution of course is that the engines do not run at a standstill (C3 system which has provided this function .... but does it sell? ... is there a premium to the purchase of such a vehicle ?.).

And of course, the TOP of the TOP is the TOYOTA Pruis hybrid ..... if it was not so expensive ... I buy immediately. (in addition the batteries are guaranteed 8 years), it is super well designed this car and at least it does not pollute when stationary. So, if the politicians want to break the LPG, why not then subsidize the purchase of such a vehicle, it is done but far too little. The basic price is about 23000 euros I think ..... at 15000 euros I buy. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

Re: Nitrogen dioxide: who pollutes the most?

by Other » 29/01/06, 22:01

nlc wrote:
jean63 wrote:I think I know part of the answer but I would prefer advice from the pros: econology, andré, nlc, asgard, benoit, jean-françois, cuicui, professor .. (from Grenoble) ..... etc : Idea: : Arrow:

Me a pro !! ???
There must be an error on the person, with regard to pollution I know absolutely nothing! : Cheesy:

I am not an example of what concerns pollution, with
the huge amount of fuel that I consumed just to make the wind, close to 90000 liters of gasoline just to travel by plane and I dare not count that for cars ...
I am interested in pants and my intention is not as noble as you, I seek to reduce consumption to increase the range of the vehicle, and so much the better if it improves combustion and that it pollutes less, so much the better if the candles and oil remain clean.
If I had only wanted to work on the economy I would have made a bubbler with fryer oil much easier than working with water.
It is true that at the place where I live the pollution is not obvious as with you we are surrounded by immense forests and lakes, with a wind coming from the far north on the snow it drives away the air of the cities .

Andre
0 x