Melting frozen mounds in northern Russia

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
bioman14
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Melting frozen mounds in northern Russia

by bioman14 » 14/09/06, 21:20

good evening everyone,

I heard yesterday on France Inter that (excuse me for the approximate terms) the frozen swamps of northern russia are melting, releasing a huge amount of methane.
methane which amplifies the greenhouse effect, global warming, and therefore accelerates the melting of swamps (and the rest).

hey, here we are, it's getting carried away. we probably no longer have the means to stabilize the deregulation. : Cry: : Cry:

go tell me that I'm wrong, that I am dramatizing, that it is negligible and that there are plenty of projects about to be completed to slow down this fucking train which is traveling at 500km / h towards this fucking wall that we have built ourselves.
0 x
if I say something stupid, tell me, but kindly and politely.
denis
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by denis » 14/09/06, 21:51

it's the "chain reaction", I always think of the titanic, it was too late, with the inertia they saw the disaster coming, without being able to do anything !, for the climate that's what happens, Will there be that many% death?
if yes will hope that there will be a memory of our civilization, with these vices, will that serve as a lesson?
the man is going to return to his cave. : Shock:
0 x
White would not exist without the dark, but anyway!

http://maison-en-paille.blogspot.fr/
Other
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

Re: melting frozen swamps in northern russia

by Other » 14/09/06, 22:03

bioman14 wrote:good evening everyone,

I heard yesterday on France Inter that (excuse me for the approximate terms) the frozen swamps of northern russia are melting, releasing a huge amount of methane.
methane which amplifies the greenhouse effect, global warming, and therefore accelerates the melting of swamps (and the rest).

Hello
This is called permat frost here. It is the same thing in northern Canada and has been for several years.
it is a small layer of earth which normally thaws on the surface, the bottom always remains frozen, and some vegetation grows that the caribou and various animals feed on.
by melting in depth it makes mud and earth which derives and gas which was trapped in this frost is released.
This is just a small clue, but the sea ice which is melting visibly is more worrying on the north coast of the St. Lawrence River, the land is gradually being eaten away.

Andre
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: melting frozen swamps in northern russia

by freddau » 14/09/06, 22:16

bioman14 wrote:good evening everyone,

hey, here we are, it's getting carried away. we probably no longer have the means to stabilize the deregulation. : Cry: : Cry:

go tell me that I'm wrong, that I am dramatizing, that it is negligible and that there are plenty of projects about to be completed to slow down this fucking train which is traveling at 500km / h towards this fucking wall that we have built ourselves.

Well you have a project, find the off button .........

And it will be necessary to do it together.

Again this evening on France Inter, a scientist from NASA gave us 10 years to reverse the machine ...

10 years is tomorrow ....... or the day after tomorrow.
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 14/09/06, 22:36

Here I even found where the off button is, I think:

The world economy continues to show a flourishing health despite the slight cooling of growth in the United States, estimated Thursday the International Monetary Fund, while warning against the return of inflation and expensive oil.

"Global growth is expected to grow by 5,1% this year before returning to a more moderate rate of 4,9% in 2007," said the IMF in its autumn economic report published in Singapore. In April, he expected only 4,9% and 4,7% respectively.

The world is experiencing "the period of global expansion (...) the strongest since the early 70s", with growth exceeding 4% for four years and which should remain so in 2007, he underlines.

Nevertheless, "these solid forecasts are surrounded by more uncertainties than in the past with the risk of a deterioration of the situation," tempered the IMF chief economist, Raghuram Rajan, to the press.

The report is particularly concerned about the return of inflation, which is accelerating everywhere and could lead to more severe interest rate hikes than expected from central banks. He also fears further surges in the price of oil and or a sharp fall in the real estate market in the United States.

Mr. Rajan insisted in priority on the risk caused by the "slowdown more accentuated than expected in the United States, accompanied by the uncertainty on the extent of the autonomy of the growth of the rest of the world compared to the American growth ".

The report has indeed revised down its forecast for the world's largest economy next year to 2,9%.

"A sharp collapse in the real estate market could cost US growth up to a percentage point", he warns.

The euro zone is finally out of the rut with an expected growth of 2,4% in 2006, its highest rate in six years, notes the IMF, before falling to 2% next year. This slowdown is mainly due to the expected tax hike in Germany in 2007.

In Japan, the strong appetite of consumers will allow growth of 2,7% this year, before falling to 2,1% in 2007.

As for emerging economies and developing countries, growth remains strong at 7,3% in 2006 (7,2% in 2007), outweighed by China's 10% growth this year and next.

In terms of risks, the policeman of the global financial system is worried about inflationary pressures in industrialized countries. Starting with the United States, where they were the consequence of rising wages and moderation in productivity.

Another threat: further shocks on the oil market, with a political situation still volatile in the Middle East, which "could fuel a further rise in prices".

According to the report, in view of the contracts negotiated on the markets, we can expect an "average price per barrel of 75 dollars in 2007, close to the record reached in early August".

However, the IMF recalls that despite the recent surges in oil prices, the world economy has shown exemplary resistance, the increases being due "to a strong increase in demand rather than to supply difficulties" .

Finally, the examination of global imbalances shows, according to the report, that the widening of the American current account deficits could be financed without causing too much suffering on the world financial system.

For the future, the IMF invites the Federal Reserve to consider further rate hikes to curb inflation, Japan to continue its gradual recovery and China to work in favor of greater flexibility in its rates. change rate.

To be coupled with the notion energy intensity, ie the ratio between the energy consumed and the GDP and the fact that the current energy is far from being clean.

The best are the Europeans and the Japanese, the worst, the Chinese and the North Americans at the last news. But hey, even with the best it's not enough.
0 x
pollux
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pollux » 14/09/06, 22:40

yes, it's too late. I would like to be able to say that it is nothing, and that we have the means to do something, but I have lost that hope since I read Hubert Reeves' book, which must be called "mal de Earth "if I remember correctly.

knowing that methane is 23 times more reinforcing for the greenhouse effect than C0², and that the quantities contained in the permefrost (frozen soil) are phenomenal, it smacks of Venus syndrome ... not the goddess, eh, the planet ... 180 ° C on the ground, no liquid water, therefore no life ...

small ray of hope anyway, which says greenhouse effect says evaporation, and therefore more clouds and therefore more energy returned to space. It may slow down a bit. but water vapor is also a greenhouse gas. Basically, we don't really know if it's the end of the world, but it still looks a lot like it. and the worst part is that if this is the end of all life on Earth, there is nothing we can do about it.

despite this very bad news, I will continue to ride my bike, save energy, and look for clean ways to live, or better, a clean source of energy that is powerful enough to allow us to try and slow the effects of this warming. just because there is always a chance, however small, that we can still slow down and save, if not humanity, at least life on this planet. and also because I am stubborn.

I urge everyone to do the same, not to give up, even if everything seems screwed up.
in my humble opinion, our only hope lies in the invention or exploitation of a clean energy source that would allow us to obtain enough power to actively regulate the climate (by that I mean sequestering greenhouse gases) or transform them into inert products). but this is science fiction ...
let's fight with our means and look for solutions, hopefully we can still try something.

-Pollux
0 x
criticism is necessary, but the invention is vital because in any invention there is a criticism of the convention ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/09/06, 22:41

The flourishing world economy ... well France must not be part of the same world then ...

Otherwise on the subject a few articles from the site:
permafrost and warming
methane hydrates and warming
or :
global warming in the arctic
0 x
bioman14
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bioman14 » 14/09/06, 22:44

and shit, that's not what I wanted people to tell me.

even press off, my wife does not agree on the pretext that if we are alone doing it it is useless. it's so stupid and so true at the same time ...

so I would prefer that people lie to me, that I could enjoy what we have left without too much psychoanalysis.
0 x
bioman14
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bioman14 » 14/09/06, 23:05

well done and thank you, to pollux in particular, for its "stubborn half-optimism".
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 14/09/06, 23:08

It's not me who says Christophe but hey I'm lucky to work for the Germans and I can tell you that it's not wrong, everyone needs steel at the moment (it's a basic product for the economy) and it is being built everywhere everywhere, even France is shuddering.

If not bioman, you must not be alone to do it, you have to move others with you, me alone it does not work well.

And then there is a possibility that the models crash but that's not why we have to relax
Last edited by freddau the 14 / 09 / 06, 23: 14, 2 edited once.
0 x