Bury CO² waste ??

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
fred.f
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Bury CO² waste ??

by fred.f » 11/04/06, 09:25

Hello everybody

Read in the last "Science & Vie", an article which exposes a process which would make it possible to make the CO² storable under an impermeable layer of the basement (type the disused mine shafts) and thus not to aggravate more the warming of the planet .

Apparently, the technique is already being tested in the Nordic countries and seems to be satisfactory.

This process will be primarily intended for the biggest polluters on the planet (such as cement factories).

What do you think ?

Have you heard of this technique before?

Despite the apparent assurance shown by the main players in this solution (and above all, this new market !!), I am a little skeptical ...
Yet even GreenPeace seems to endorse this technique, so ...

@ +,
fred
0 x
------------------------------
Fred - gas / fuel oil, cabriolet / 4x4 / break / cut
I have at least one of each !!!!
demogue8
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

bury the CO²

by demogue8 » 06/05/06, 14:10

In fact it seems to remember that in my distant schooling, I learned that the CO² which made life very difficult on our earth was fixed in the limestone of primitive animals which made up our cliffs and the limestone rocks of the globe. But currently lime, cement consists in doing the opposite operation, we will be stronger than nature to recompose in a few decades or even a few centuries what nature has done in billions of years. I wish it to my grandchildren but I remain skeptical it may be due to almost 60 years of disappointment with science and technology which should bring us happiness and quality of life and have in fact only brought 'impoverishment of the poorest and who moreover must bear the pollution generated by progress which we have neither known nor appreciated nor used wisely. : Cry:
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 07/05/06, 03:10

Hello,

I read this Science and Life. Capturing CO2 in geological layers has been a trendy technique for a while ... S&V does not hold a scoop. Besides, if you want reliable information, I suggest that you do research on your own towards the sites of oil companies, various environmental agencies, IPCC ... Indeed, S&V information is often a little light, even incomplete. But after all it's a generalist magazine, you can't ask them everything.

It is still difficult to form an opinion on the capture of CO2 but it would seem that the waterproofing of the soils used is completely satisfactory to retain the injected CO2, and it is a way like any other to take advantage of the groundwater oil exhausted. All we risk is a gas rise in the atmosphere after a few years, but it will do the same thing in this case as if we had not tried anything ... We will be fixed since it is no shortage of experiences, but I think we have nothing to lose.

So after all why not. It may perhaps add a small stone to the edifice of the fight against global warming. But the safest way is still not to emit CO2 -> www.kyot-home.com : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/05/06, 12:24

Rulian +1 :)

Guess S&V mentioned the Castor project? If so, more info here: googlesearch? q = Beaver

[pessimistic mode on]
Anyway what good is it to bury CO2 here (EU) when somewhere else (USA, China ...) we do anything? The only proven fact is the sealing of the European economy ... which is already the worst of the 3 ...
[pessimistic mode off]
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 07/05/06, 12:58

Christophe, when you say the worst of the three. You mean the lowest growing one ??

Yes, personal what to think of an economy which is going at full speed and which is not very responsible ecologically, than an economy which coughs but which makes efforts in this direction ?????

Besides, good growth corresponds to more consumer cars in general and based on the carbon economy, it's not great.
But a buried carbon-based economy is much more realistic and sustainable.
As soon as we do that, we can consume like mad if we want, the time to exhaust the coal reserves :)

From what I read, coal is a source of energy for the future :), well distributed in the world (no need to transport it over thousands of km).
It mobilizes few means (therefore not too expensive), still abundant and the techniques are there to make it "clean", according to what they try to make us pass.

He is even responsible for acid rain and co2. (China must be well placed to find out and moreover it is participating in the Castor project, according to the radio)

We can even store the co2 under Paris, the only problem is if the cap gives way, it would make a cloud of co2 without oxygen and the eradication of all forms of human life
0 x
geotrouvetout
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by geotrouvetout » 07/05/06, 14:03

Hello,

and a dissociation of carbon and oxygen ???

Carbon recovery and release or recovery of oxygen.

GEO : Idea: .
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 07/05/06, 15:00

geotrouvetout wrote:Hello,

and a dissociation of carbon and oxygen ???

Carbon recovery and release or recovery of oxygen.

GEO : Idea: .

It's not a bit like the cycle of plants, where they fix the carbon they lack and release o2.

Otherwise it's reverse combustion, whatever you mean.
The problem is that the combustion releases energy when the reverse must be needed so we bite our tails because we need a coal-fired power plant for that, but I didn't bend over it enough
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/05/06, 19:37

freddau wrote:Christophe, when you say the worst of the three. You mean the lowest growing one ??

Yes, personal what to think of an economy which is going at full speed and which is not very responsible ecologically, than an economy which coughs but which makes efforts in this direction ?????

I want to say above all that we are in a closed system ... And that we would need a certain unity in the measures taken otherwise the efforts of some (rare) will quickly be wiped out by the casualness of others ...

But the problem is also inter EU ... We must not raise awareness and applaud our dear oil companies because they have one or two landfill plants and they finance an R&D program that goes in this direction, since on the other hand 99% of their other rejections are not treated ... This is nonsense and a moral and ecological scam!

But hey these techniques have AT LEAST the merit to exist ...

freddau wrote:We can even store the co2 under Paris, the only problem is if the cap gives way, it would make a cloud of co2 without oxygen and the eradication of all forms of human life

LOL I don't think it's that risky ...
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."