Arte TV: The energy of the sea

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Arte TV: The energy of the sea

by gegyx » 21/05/07, 21:19

Tonight at 22:45 p.m., on ARTE, a one-hour program on "The energy of the sea"

Research in Japan to supply electricity, drinking water and hydrogen.
In Great Britain on tidal turbines.
On tidal energy.
0 x
bolton069
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bolton069 » 22/05/07, 12:43

Damn, I only see him now.

Does anyone intend to put the program on the net?

It was good?

A few years ago I saw a prototype power plant : Idea: tidal, using the vertical movement of large floats to generate electricity.

Here are some sites that talk about it.

Techno science
Edinburgh University
An application
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 22/05/07, 13:51

Heck, too late

for once there's something good on tv

I boycotted TV for a while, I don't even watch the programs anymore ...
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 22/05/07, 14:20

Program summary:
http://www.arte.tv/fr/connaissance-deco ... 72640.html

http://www.telleestmatele.com/article-6657341.html

The new development was ETM technology

http://www.ae2d.infini.fr/evenemen/Energie_Mer.htm

System pumping cold water to the bottom of the sea, cooling in an ammonia exchanger, previously heated in steam, by surface water, and running a generator.
The electricity produced can be stored in the form of hydrogen by electrolysis.
On the same floating concrete platform, there is production of electricity, hydrogen and drinking water.
Many isolated islands, dependent only on fossil energy, would be likely to use this technology (Hawaii, but also, a Palestinian researcher seeks to adapt it for his country).
Surplus electrical energy can be transported remotely by converting it to hydrogen.
0 x
crispus
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by crispus » 22/05/07, 14:45

gegyx wrote:The electricity produced, can be stored in the form of hydrogen, by electrolysis
Surplus electrical energy can be transported remotely by converting it to hydrogen.

The report shows a mysterious revolutionary product, finally making it possible to "store" hydrogen in large quantities under low pressures, which makes the scenario credible.

The idea has some chance of being developed, because it does not call into question the dogma of "growth" so dear to our leaders.

With this technique, current oil and LNG tankers would be converted at low cost into "hydrogen", our vehicles running on fuel cells.

No more smoke or oil spills. Shipowners and oil tankers can breathe, the planet can catch its breath for a few decades, as long as the oceans remain cold ... : Mrgreen:

There remains for the user the consolation of producing his drinking water with his vehicle : Lol:
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 22/05/07, 16:55

0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 22/05/07, 22:12

Capt_Maloche wrote:Heck, too late

for once there's something good on tv

I boycotted TV for a while, I don't even watch the programs anymore ...

But, there is a lot of good "stuff" on TV ......... especially on FR5 (in the afternoon if you are retired, there are a lot of very interesting documentaries) and on ARTE the evening.

Reports of all kinds on subjects relating to renewable energies, there are "tons" in the news. I stopped reporting it in this forum because I will do more than that .... : Lol: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Lol: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 22/05/07, 22:19

No more smoke or oil spills. Shipowners and oil tankers can breathe, the planet can catch its breath for a few decades, as long as the oceans remain cold ...

Still dreaming, it's not for tomorrow even with Juppé at the helm .... they will lay a few scoops for us as he had done with the skirts which had consisted in sending lots of cars (in perfect working order with some repairs), scrapped for a "premium" ... all this to relaunch the sale of new cars in 1995.

Now that he has picked up the green fiber in Quebec, he must have lots of ideas, for example he could cycle to his ministry in the morning. I noticed that they all drive with big sedans 607, C6 and the little sister from Renault .... the show must go on : Lol: : Idea: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Evil: : Evil:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 22/05/07, 22:23

Other than that, I saw this report in part and recorded the rest.

If it were to work on a large scale it would be too good.

I tell you that they will let it destroy our beautiful planet, don't worry, it's just chat as usual.

The few scientists who work on these projects are neglected by big capital, all the money will go to projects like EPR and Cie ..... the show must go on. : Evil: : Evil:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/05/07, 23:24

Crispus wrote:With this technique, current oil and LNG tankers would be converted at low cost into "hydrogen", our vehicles running on fuel cells.

I saw the 2nd part of this report ... interesting except concerning the use of hydrogen as an energy vector, the 2 things that have "bothered" me the most:

1) The overall yield would be lousy (ok we don't care since the source is almost inexhaustible but still it bothers me ...)

2) It is completely ILLUSIVE to want to transport hydrogen from such artificial islands to the final recipient at the other end of the planet !! : Evil: and this even using physico-chemical storage techniques for the good reason that it is much easier to transport a fluid than a gas and especially if the gas is hydrogen ... How many LNG carriers in the world for how many tanker? 1%, 2%? It is not a coincidence...

So a question came to me: pkoi, given the amount of H2 and water that ETM factories can (in theory) produce, do not use this hydrogen to make it a heavier synthetic fluid (and therefore more easily transportable)? I don't know much about it but here are 3 tracks that would seem "nice" to me:

a) Biomass liquefaction needs a lot of H2 ...

b) Hydrogen peroxide, H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide in low concentration and fuel in high concentration) ...

c) Come on I start to dream ...let's all ride on hydrazine... H2N2 if I remember correctly :D Not even need water for the final product :D

Yapluka huh!
0 x