A solar car goes around the world

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

A solar car goes around the world

by martien007 » 22/09/08, 12:01

This Swiss proves that it is possible (heard yesterday on France Inter):

Built in 2005, the Solartaxi is a two-seat three-wheeler, with a trailer fitted with solar cells producing half the energy required for this 50 km journey.

The other 50% is produced by solar panels in Switzerland and transmitted in the network so that the solar taxi can be powered on the road by plugging into an electrical outlet.

It emits no polluting substances and consumes 8 kilowatt hours, the equivalent of 0,8 liters of petrol per 100 km.

It travels at an average of 50 km / h with peaks of 90 km / h.

Empty, the vehicle weighs 500 kilos, the trailer 250. The 6m2 of solar cells produce current for 15 km per year.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/fre/swissinfo.h ... 3000&ty=st

September 13, 2008 - 15:44 p.m.

Solartaxi causes a sensation in New York

During his trip around the world in a solar car, Lucerne adventurer Louis Palmer made a stopover in New York. He notably had as passenger UN Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon, whom he drove to his office.
The Solartaxi is the first car to travel the world using only solar energy. Louis Palmer started his journey in July 2007 in Lucerne. In fourteen months, this 36-year-old teacher covered 43 kilometers and 000 countries without notable breakdowns or accidents.

"I didn't spend a dime on gas," he says, presenting his craft to the media at the Cooper-Hewitt National Museum of Design in New York, in the presence of the Swiss consul general Christoph Bubb.

"The Solartaxi is as reliable as a Swiss watch." With a full battery, the two-seater can travel 300 kilometers with a top speed of almost 90 km / hour.

Facts rather than words
For Louis Palmer, this adventure is the realization of a childhood dream. In 1986, then aged 4, he already saw himself traveling around the world in a clean car. He even made sketches of the vehicle he imagined.

As no car of its kind has been put on the market so far, Louis Palmer therefore took matters into his own hands and went in search of technical support and sponsors.

While the entire planet is talking about climate change, there is still no real alternative to petrol. "So I want to demonstrate that clean and sustainable technologies and solutions can provide solutions to the energy crisis."

Louis Palmer hopes to convince industrialists and investors that it is time to develop a solar car.

Does he consider himself a savior of humanity? “No, I just want to prove that there are solutions to the energy crisis. I use Solartaxi to demonstrate it, but I don't want to play the moralizers. ”

Environmentally friendly and inexpensive
A solar car is not only environmentally friendly, but also inexpensive, explains its creator by presenting its vehicle to the public of the Big Apple. "By charging electricity for a dollar, I can travel 100 miles."

"It is a little embarrassing that it is someone coming from a country without automobile industry which must show to the Americans that the solar car is not a utopia", declares an onlooker.

Another exclaims: "I didn't know that there were such innovative and adventurous people in Switzerland."

More or less famous passengers
It was to reach the general public that Louis Palmer designed his car like a taxi. Wherever he goes, he takes passengers for a short trip, politicians, stars, but also street people.

He and his vehicle were of course highly regarded for the UN climate conference in Bali. In these times of soaring oil prices, there is also a lot of interest in the United States.

“We are welcomed everywhere. Our vehicle attracts attention, people come to talk to us, ”he says. His visit to the Washington Capitol even made headlines in the media.

Among his American passengers, Palmer includes UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, film director James Cameron ("Titanic") and the unavoidable TV host Jay Leno.

Mass production possible
The taxi was built by the Higher Technical School of Lucerne and the Federal Polytechnic of Zurich, in collaboration with private partners in Switzerland, while the solar cells come from Germany.

It is a prototype, but its inventor is convinced that mass production would not pose any particular technical problem. This kind of car, he believes, could be sold for 15 francs.

Around the world in 80 days
So far, his journey has taken him across Europe, the Near and Middle East, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and now to the United States. From there, Palmer should embark for Algeria and he should have returned to Switzerland for Christmas.

And then? Isn't he afraid of the void after a year and a half of adventures? "Not really, because I have new projects."

The Lucernois wants to set up an international race and, of course, participate in it himself. The project is under the sign of Jules Verne: "80 Days around the world with renewable energy".

swissinfo, Rita Emch in New York
(Translation from German: Isabelle Eichenberger)
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 22/09/08, 13:27

: Arrow: Hi Martian,
I had heard of this story.
The additional info is interesting.
Oil tankers don't want this kind of ad, but thanks to this kind of Don Quixote, the world may change.
Good food for thought!Image
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 22/09/08, 14:13

0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 22/09/08, 15:14

Capt_Maloche wrote:http://www.solartaxi.com/

Great site.

There in Pennsylvania, police control:

http://www.solartaxi.com/blog/2008/09/05/washingtondc/

It's a hell of a pub for this kind of vehicle.

Of course you need the trailer covered with photovoltaic cells (provided by the Germans from what I read), but hats off to the little Swiss for this blow.

maybe it will raise awareness among ricans and they will embark on this kind of vehicle.

They speak of 15000 francs (Swiss I suppose); how much is that in euros? perhaps not more expensive than a Prius Toyota hybrid, light and consumes no fossil fuels.

disadvantage: you have to pull the trailer and park in town, it's not great.
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 28/09/08, 18:08

Capt_Maloche wrote:http://www.solartaxi.com/

Fabulous, there are even videos which are funny, see "SHIT"

and if not, they have humor, talent (even as filmmakers) :P

And then finally, if someone needed proof, that a car can "walk in the sun", to wonder why our valiant journalists, do not edit all his clips !!! or a report on the phenomenon that represents this "life-size test"?
FICTION: Special Envoys: "Tonight we are taking you on a journey of 50.000 km on the trail of the solar electric car, reliable, economical, non-polluting and safe solar, Mireille Chenus, is carrying out the investigation for you!"

It would be a great pleasure for me to nail down our mouths on all these dead marchers, who are the stinky car manufacturers ...

He also denounces in his episode in New York, the question of the critters of amloques, it goes up to how much? As he says, in a city or, to go quickly we take ... the metro!
That's stupid as a question!

Amused greetings from Lietseu :P
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...