A Norman invents a low-cost house for homeless

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 17/12/07, 20:33

This is lively discussion! : Cheesy:
Peace on earth to men of good will ... : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

Nevertheless, I am not a fan of the kind of shelter made of odds and ends!
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 18/12/07, 00:32

Christophe wrote:
jean63 wrote:
And there, no country in the world that trades with the Chinese, is fighting against these exploitative practices of millions of rural Chinese who are just waiting to work to SURVIVE (commonly 72 hours / week and .... until 90 hours / week during peak periods).

My dear Jean, I agree with this, but are you applying only for yourself what I just explained above?

I'm getting to know you a little and I am sure that you are more attentive to the price of a product than to its source... and the living conditions of the employees of the store in which you buy.

I am wrong?

Before being convinced, I could easily show you the opposite:

- My cars although old are of French brand Renault, Peugeot,

- My house was built by local craftsmen with local wood (Douglas fir from the Noirétable region in Forez) .. etc
except the exterior cladding in red cedar from André (near ..) ..... because it has unique qualities.

- My 1st boiler was a Franco-Belgian (the brand) !!! : Lol: and the second is a Leblanc ELM ..... I don't think it's Chinese?
The underfloor heating system is VELTA (Alsatian or German).

- My tools are of French or European brand (if it is made in China and checked + boxed in Europe, it is considered "made in France"):

. I have a FACOM wardrobe (with sockets and pawls + cardan joint, etc. flat wrenches + pipe wrenches + screwdriver ..) since 1975 which had cost me 2000 francs at the time when my salary was to be 1500 francs /month. I amortized it well and everything still works today. At the time it was made in France, I think the same wardrobe is now made in China.

. the majority of my power tools are of the BOSCH brand (German does it seem to me?): drill, jigsaw, circular saw, grinders, sanders, hedge trimmer, or French brand: air compressor, chainsaw (nothing guarantees that BOSCH has manufacturing in China or Eastern Europe at low salary costs).

One of the rare tools that is not European is the 2 stroke roller jack bought about fifteen years ago: I remember looking at the box and looking for the "made in ......." and there is no had nothing except "TUV control" ... so theoretically made in Deutschland, but when I opened the box at home, a small label stuck on this jack said "made in China". I remember very well my surprise and even my disgust at this discovery.

You have to remember that Mitterrand had said "let's buy French" but it must have been in the 80s (end).

- Regarding my current purchases:

. I never go to the LIDL et cie, but to Intermarché which is fairly honest about the origin of what it sells: in winter I even buy apples which they buy from a local producer (within 10 kms) , all that is fruit and vegetables: I look at the provenance and I buy as much French as possible.
For Auvergnat and French cheese we have what it takes.
I also buy a lot of organic products (from + to +) despite the price even if it means consuming less: for example breakfast cereals guaranteed without pesticides or chemical fertilizers made in France, milk the same ... etc.
I have even boycotted LU since they closed the factories in France.

So you see that you were wrong on the whole length !!

Except for clothing and shoes where it is difficult to find anything other than made "elsewhere" (it is NEVER marked elsewhere), and I am a small consumer. I also make it last.

For my cars, I operate a maximum breakage for spare parts like starters, alternators ... and all parts other than wear (clutch, brake pads, brake hoses: new mandatory) ......

You know that even if you buy Michelin tires (made in Auvergne in Clermont-Ferrand near my home) ...... in fact they are no longer made in France !!! : Lol: Michelin factories in Clermont-Ferrand have gone from 30 employees to 000 in 10 years (or 000 max): heard yesterday in the regional news (local strikes for outsourcing of production).
Last edited by jean63 the 18 / 12 / 07, 00: 50, 2 edited once.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 18/12/07, 00:36

But we have deviated from the initial subject.

Tonight at the JT of FR3 at 23 p.m. (soir3), they have shown that all homeless people are not treated in the same way: those who are lucky enough to go to specialized centers with a locked personal closet + return every evening in the same center ..etc ... can more easily reintegrate and find a job, but apparently there are very few.

http://jt.france3.fr/soir3/index-fr.php?jt=0&taille=1

... from 1'20 "-> 3'50": it is very clear the current accommodation conditions ...... after that we can start to discuss !!!
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/12/07, 09:06

jean63 wrote: So you see that you were wrong on the whole length !!

In this case accept my most recent apologies ... I was wrong :D

But admit all the same that during many discussion topics, you gave the impression of always being very attentive to the price. Apparently it was a false impression since you seem to buy sustainable :)

For Velta distributors, it's German. We have the same at home.

jean63 wrote:Except for clothing and shoes where it is difficult to find anything other than made "elsewhere" (it is NEVER marked elsewhere), and I am a small consumer. I also make it last.

Yes it is almost impossible, for example, to find t-shirts made in France.

jean63 wrote:You know that even if you buy Michelin tires (made in Auvergne in Clermont-Ferrand near my home) ...... in fact they are no longer made in France !!! : Lol: Michelin factories in Clermont-Ferrand have gone from 30 employees to 000 in 10 years (or 000 max): heard yesterday in the regional news (local strikes for outsourcing of production).

Is that so? Are you sure they are no longer made in France? Where are they then? And what do the 10 people do if there is no more production?
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 18/12/07, 14:37

But admit all the same that during many discussion topics, you gave the impression of being always very attentive to the price. Apparently it was a false impression since you seem to buy sustainable

yes of course, but that's normal. that doesn’t stop buying good stuff during sales or promotions (it makes a little less margin for the intermediaries !!!).

Is that so? Are you sure they are no longer made in France? Where are they then? And what do the 10 people do if there is no more production?

You don't follow the news! in Clermont-Ferrand there are white-collar workers, the head office and administration, there are only certain types of tires left (I think it is for heavy goods vehicles) + the test tracks which may also "go" in dollar zone according to the established expression (according to Mr Gallois, boss of Airbus after the contracts signed in China).

We would have to take a look at the Michelin site to find out what is left in Clermont-Ferrand.

I keep you posted on occasion.
Last edited by jean63 the 18 / 12 / 07, 14: 48, 2 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/12/07, 14:39

No i'm not that kind of news :(

Am already pretty depressed by everything else ... : Cry:

10 employees are already a big company ... they could have relocated EVERYTHING :( :(
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 18/12/07, 15:04

Here is a last little relocation of Michelin:

http://www.boursorama.com/brss/outpage. ... l&client=0

it's true, it's not very good for morale these things :frown:

The height is that it costs them dear to close sites ....... is to say what they expect to gain in the 2010s by relocating today. There they only talk about restructuring, it is more elegant to pass the pill.
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 18/12/07, 15:17

Christophe wrote:Yes it is almost impossible, for example, to find t-shirts made in France.

jean63 wrote:You know that even if you buy Michelin tires (made in Auvergne in Clermont-Ferrand near my home) ...... in fact they are no longer made in France !!! : Lol: Michelin factories in Clermont-Ferrand have gone from 30 employees to 000 in 10 years (or 000 max): heard yesterday in the regional news (local strikes for outsourcing of production).

Well this year I bought a fair trade cotton tshirt made in France at Armor Lux, but the price was accordingly (~ 4x a shiny Tshirt), as were my Mephisto shoes ...
Michelin tires are still made in France (less staff because more automation!), But Michelin also has Michelin factories in other developed countries, including the USA ... mainly to serve local markets ... But Michelin is, it seems to me, in the 40% of tires manufactured in the world if we count all the brands and sub-brands that belong to it ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/12/07, 15:36

Armor Lux interesting ... Well, it looks like they still have textile factories in France? I believed that there hadn't been any for years ... like what ...

http://www.armorlux.com/_fr_/pages~entr ... orique.htm

It is fair trade cotton Max Havelaar apparently ...
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."