Mitterrand and abolition of the death penalty

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
democrate
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Mitterrand and abolition of the death penalty

by democrate » 17/03/07, 10:54

Personally I never liked Mitterrand's personality very much because he did some political actions not very worthy in his function of governor of a country: listening and spying for personal ends, Greenpeace, engagement of French soldiers in the first war of the Gulf (when it was an American problem which already protected the Saudis and knew that Saddam Hussein was going to invade Kuwait), creation of the current debt of France (which continued to swell even under other governments d 'other political colors', badly designed European construction, that is to say exclusively based on money and not really democratic, social and on certain values ​​(I am for Europe but with rules and not a vast ultra liberal market and unfair to the level of competition between the countries forming it, this is why although pro-European I voted no to this constitution which was proposed to us). But no one is perfect in this world. And anyway the time is different and the problems of today are not those of yesterday (although some unfortunately continue because of poor choices made before). But hey I get lost so Mitterrand despite everything has made some laws that are valid. The abolition of the death penalty is one.

You should know that the death penalty has never solved the problems of crime. A true society of values ​​must take into account the fact that it can be wrong. Many cases of people after their executions have been found innocent and it is a tragedy.
I campaigned (a long time ago) in associations (Amnesty, Acat) for this purpose, also against torture which is unfortunately still practiced in many countries.
On the other hand, real incompressible penalties for serious criminals, yes.
For pedophiles.
Sadistic crimes (i.e. people practicing torture).
The murderers of children and physically weak people (disabled etc.).
The serials killer.
A society without rules is not a society of just, because laxity is not justice. Always give people a chance to catch up (everyone makes mistakes in their life) but that does not exclude firmness.
Geoffroy
(blog: http://blog.france2.fr/democrate/ )
0 x
Never be afraid to sit down for a moment to think. (L.Hansberry)
www.chez.com/societe
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Mitterrand and abolition of the death penalty

by bham » 17/03/07, 15:09

democrate wrote:........ On the other hand, real, incompressible penalties for serious criminals, yes.
For pedophiles.
Sadistic crimes (i.e. people practicing torture).
The murderers of children and physically weak people (disabled etc.).
The serials killer.

I would add Bush, for anti-personnel mines and ..... the rest.
0 x

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."