CERN LHC accelerator: black hole machine? What risks?

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Christophe

CERN LHC accelerator: black hole machine? What risks?

by Christophe » 12/09/08, 21:19

C in the air to see here: http://www.france5.fr/c-dans-l-air/inde ... 406#centre

The world's largest physics instrument, the large LHC hadron collider, was launched with the aim of unlocking the secrets of matter and the universe. Some physicists fear, however, that it will cause the creation of black holes that can swallow the Earth.

It was past 9:30 a.m. on September 10 when the CERN (European Center for Nuclear Research) teams successfully started up the large hadron collider LHC, possibly paving the way for 'one of the most exciting and uncertain adventures of modern science.

With extraordinary dimensions - 27 km in circumference -, this particle smashing machine, located 100 meters below the Franco-Swiss border, should allow it to reproduce the conditions that existed at the very first moments of the universe, just after the big bang, 13,7 billion years ago.

Thus, physicists at CERN hope to solve a number of puzzles, such as discovering the nature of dark matter and dark energy which constitute 96% of the universe. But above all, they dream of flushing out the Higgs boson, sometimes nicknamed the "divine particle", which would give mass to all particles, but which no one has yet observed, 44 years after the physicist Leon Lederman postulated its existence .

Getting hold of this missing piece would make it possible to complete the "puzzle" of the universe and to validate or not the various big bang scenarios currently selected to explain its creation.

Feverishly awaited by the international community of physicists, this big bang machine, unique in the world, is the result of unparalleled cooperation by the number of scientists but also of countries involved: nearly 5 physicists and engineers from sixty-three countries have participated for ten years in CERN experiments which have cost almost 000 billion euros.

However, approaching its launch phase, this project has raised many fears and concerns. An American, Walter Wagner, and a Spanish, Luis Sancho, a former science teacher, have thus filed a complaint against CERN before a court in Hawaii to obtain the ban on opening the LHC until it has been demonstrate its absence of danger. They fear in particular that the proton collisions in the LHC, intended to recreate the conditions after the big bang, could cause the appearance of tiny black holes which, as they grow, absorb all the matter around them and eventually engulf our planet.
Last edited by Christophe the 12 / 09 / 08, 23: 42, 1 edited once.
0 x
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 12/09/08, 23:41

Yes, Christophe, I also read this stuff on the web ...

They even said it on A2 earlier, but "they don't believe his amazing ideas", um ...

If the two guys who came up with the idea are not mistaken, we will soon no longer be there to say it (physically anyway!)

We only have our fingers crossed, and hope ...

Greetings from almost Lietseu's other grave : Mrgreen:

Tomorrow, I throw a stone in the pond, if nobody does it before me, wait and see !!!
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu
"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?
One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 13/09/08, 10:28

Starting up the LHC on Wednesday 10 September, everything went well, but the real experiments will not begin until next spring, according to Philippe Charpentier, physicist at CERN (France's scientific program inter "La tête au carré").

http://www.radiofrance.fr/franceinter/e ... p?id=70973

http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?siteSe ... id=9619403

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/fr/LHC/LHC-fr.html (link in French while France Inter gives the link in ... English!)
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 13/09/08, 21:56

we do not care ! We will not suffer long! : Mrgreen:
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Lietseu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Lietseu » 14/09/08, 16:45

Well said !!! 8)
0 x
By removing Human Nature, he was far from his nature! Lietseu

"The power of love, must be stronger than the love of power" contemporary Lie Tzu?

One sees clearly only with the heart, the essential is invisible to the eyes ...
Hydraxon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Hydraxon » 14/09/08, 18:12

But if you are a little serious, a tiny black hole has no chance of becoming large: it disappears so quickly that it is just if you have a chance of knowing that it existed.

For those who think that all this is theory not confirmed, I simply specify that the existence of black holes is just as hypothetical as their evaporation.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/09/08, 18:42

Hey paranos ... thank you for watching the debate of C in the air instead of relaying various speculations ...

Besides, who tells you that "crossing" a black hole hurts? : Mrgreen:

ps: the rap clip that Bucheron had found is the "official" clip of cern in fact!
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 14/09/08, 18:43

This thing will pound us on the gu ...
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/09/08, 19:13

Hydraxon wrote:For those who think that all this is theory not confirmed, I simply specify that the existence of black holes is just as hypothetical as their evaporation.

You are a few years late I think ... I think scientists have already "observed" a black hole ...

In addition there is a strong assumption that all the centers of galaxies are black holes ....

ps: then we all have a black hole ...
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 14/09/08, 20:45

Christophe wrote:Besides, who tells you that "crossing" a black hole hurts? : Mrgreen:

ps: then we all have a black hole ...

OH him EH!

well, we saw it work the gadget, it's cool right?
I can't wait to see the first results!
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^

Back to "Media & News: TV shows, reports, books, news ..."