$ 25 million for water doping?

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
Christophe

$ 25 million for water doping?

by Christophe » 17/02/07, 18:27

Richard Branson offers a prize of $ 25 million for the best idea to "purify" the atmosphere. This competition, called the "Earth Challenge", aims to remove one billion tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) from our atmosphere. It will be an international panel of scientists who will evaluate the winning proposal.

Well, doping does not purify but if it were "generalized" it would greatly reduce emissions into the atmosphere by more than one MM of T ...

http://www.techno-science.net/?onglet=news&news=3733
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 17/02/07, 18:59

1st inexpensive solution: double the price of gasoline in the states ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/02/07, 22:30

Yes lol but there is an uncertainty on the title ...

Is it to reduce emissions (easy is enough to consume less oil ...) or remove CO2 from the atmosphere (landfill, carbon sink, nanotechnology?)?

Because in the 2nd case it would legitimize a greater consumption of fossil energy ... Is it reasonable (from a resource depletion point of view?) But good as a businessman should not be angry his "friends" (oil companies, economists, financiers ...)

ps: subsidiary question (answer on econo in 2 minutes) 1 billion tonnes of CO2 / year what does this represent compared to current releases? : Mrgreen:
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 17/02/07, 23:13

a billion tonnes is not that huge, as they think. And when you count on the total amount of carbon brewed in ecosystems, it greatly exceeds one billion tonnes. Maybe we should talk about billions of billions ...
Just by driving with HVB, in recent years, I have avoided several tons of CO2 according to the calculations I have made ...
So imagine what the industry rejects. A billion a year, I find it pretty easy, a large-scale reforestation plan might be enough ...
A billion a day might be harder ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 18/02/07, 11:30

:? The solution is to transform cars, trucks, buses ... into electric vehicles supplied with electricity by on-board generators, running on HVP and water doped
= 50% less pollution.

But it is not for tomorrow, when we know that the German manufacturers refuse to reduce the emissions of their vehicles. : Evil:
Toyota / Lexus and the others have to rub their hands. : Shock:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/02/07, 16:06

you do not answer my question in bold above ... :?:

Because I believe that the competition does not consist in limiting emissions but in removing CO2 from the atmosphere ... therefore once again the curative method if not preventive ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 18/02/07, 16:20

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the official address of the competition was mentioned:
this is
www.virginearth.com

the regulation explicitly mentions "removal" and not reduction or other equivalent terms
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 18/02/07, 16:56

Christophe wrote:you do not answer my question in bold above ... :?:

Because I believe that the contest does not consist in limiting the emissions but to remove CO2 from the atmosphere...so once again the curative method if not preventive ...

that I understood well, but what is his method to Mister Branson?

and then a lot of CO2 does not only have drawbacks (just kidding) ==>

http://www.techno-science.net/?onglet=news&news=3459

Earth Challenge: a contest to purify the atmosphere

The innovation prizes, these "Challenges" put forward for a few years now, are a formidable catalyst for new ideas. Richard Branson, the charismatic boss of Virgin, understands this and decides to tackle one of the biggest problems of today: air pollution and climate change.

Thinking about the Earth of our children ...

Richard Branson offers a prize of $ 25 million for the best idea to "purify" the atmosphere. This competition, called the "Earth Challenge", aims to remove one billion tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) from our atmosphere. It will be an international panel of scientists who will evaluate the winning proposal.

The British billionaire, with the support of US Vice President Al Gore, presents himself as an environmentally conscious man. According to him "The earth cannot wait 60 years. I want my children and my children's children to have a future, and the clock is ticking." He qualifies his "Earth Challenge" as the best way to get things done.

I don't see anything in this text that answers the question (it will send billions of dollars in banknotes in the air ?? : Lol: ) ... myself, I don't know how to do it, except that I have a lot of trees and shrubs on my land to capture it ...
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/02/07, 18:24

Well, you have to understand that it's a FARCE is all ...

It would take 25 billion a year to fight CO2 emissions!

Point bar!
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 19/02/07, 01:02

If I understood correctly, it's like the price he received for sending his machine into space. The premier who gets there will receive the 25 million, those who will which 0.9 billion tonnes or 1 billion in second place will not have it. In itself it does not finance nothing.
So I don't think it's a farce (he sent his magic plane into space, it looked like a farce too at the start).
And to remove a small billion tonnes from the atmosphere, it's not very difficult: reforestation, or plant bioreactor. But in the current logic, they will rather try to trap CO2 in wells, even if it means emitting more ...
0 x