1ère cited 100 ecological% in Abu Dhabi

Books, television programs, films, magazines or music to share, counselor to discover ... Talk to news affecting in any way the econology, environment, energy, society, consumption (new laws or standards) ...
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

1ère cited 100 ecological% in Abu Dhabi

by jean63 » 12/02/08, 12:48

Abu Dhabi builds the first fully ecological city in the world

The rich oil emirate of Abu Dhabi started construction on Sunday of the first city in the world scheduled to operate with a zero level of carbon dioxide emissions, said a spokesman for the project.

"The construction of Masdar City begins today," he said, referring to the project which will cover 6,5 km2, will cost 22 billion dollars and must be completed in 2015.

Masdar City, which means "source" in Arabic, will run exclusively on renewable energies, including solar power, a constant resource in the emirate's desert.

Its 50.000 inhabitants will circulate using trams and a series of other automatic means of transport.

Unlike the sumptuous towers of the city of Abu Dhabi, a model of Masdar City, designed by the Foster and Partners group, shows low constructions and equipped with solar panels on the roofs.

Despite the abundance of the sun, only the parking meters are supplied with solar energy in the Emirates which, like the other oil monarchies of the Gulf, use little solar energy.

The city will be located not far from the sea and a belt wall will have to protect it from the hot air blowing from the desert and the din of the nearby Abu Dhabi airport.

Abu Dhabi holds the bulk of the oil and gas reserves of the United Arab Emirates, the country ranked fourth and fifth in the world, respectively. The proven crude oil reserves of the Emirates are sufficient to last another 150 years or so.

But like the other oil-producing countries, the Emirates seek to diversify their economy to reduce their dependence on oil.

The new city is part of an ambitious program launched by the government of Abu Dhabi in 2006.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 12/02/08, 15:18

To know a little about the region and the kind of life we ​​can have there, it makes me laugh a little and I think it's more of a new toy than anything else.

But at the same time, it can't hurt and maybe it can contribute to the development of new techniques and technologies. We should follow this more closely to find out ....

PS: I wonder if decent working conditions for the workforce during construction and house staff afterwards are included in the concept of ecology? Probably not ... it wouldn't be fun anymore ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/02/08, 15:26

Isn't that the place where there is the manufacturer of pleasure submarines? : Mrgreen:
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 12/02/08, 15:35

Christine wrote:To know a little about the region and the kind of life we ​​can have there, it makes me laugh a little and I think it's more of a new toy than anything else.

But at the same time, it can't hurt and maybe it can contribute to the development of new techniques and technologies. We should follow this more closely to find out ....

PS: I wonder if decent working conditions for the workforce during construction and house staff afterwards are included in the concept of ecology? Probably not ... it wouldn't be fun anymore ...

The region ... let's not talk about it. Do you know this place?

The "Indian or Pakistani slave" labor ... there have been reports, it is shameful.

The project ... it is better that they spend their money on it rather than building ski slopes in the middle of the desert, one of which does not prevent the other of course. I do not know if it is at home or in Dubai, I confuse the 2.

They want to do some advertising, but if it can serve as an example it's good.
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 12/02/08, 17:28

You will notice that given the bill, it is surely not housing for the poor. Unless you are addicted to your airco, a barrack in this village must consume 10 times less than ours.
(I once heard the interview of a Belgian exile in Valencia: 2 propane tanks on his winter!)

By the way, why not refine petroleum, directly on site, and partly with solar energy: less energy to refine, less energy to transport, less pollution here.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 12/02/08, 18:02

elephant wrote: Unless you are addicted to your airco, a barrack in this village must consume 10 times less than ours.

Rather 10 x more. Airco is essential 10 months out of 12 and even the most modest accommodation is provided. But we often forget that what is very energy intensive there is water. This is treated and desalinated seawater. And, how to say ..., over there the notion of saving water, energy or anything is a notion ... let's say "exotic".
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 12/02/08, 18:33

Sure it must be frankly unlivable unless you snuggle up in an air-conditioned house ... in the sun!
8)
Finally, solar energy is making its way :P
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 12/02/08, 22:46

Bonjour à tous

About oil country and air conditioning, I had the opportunity to go to work in Katar (tiny country just nearby). Down there, the Kataris are crazy about horses and very proud to show them, so they take care of them as best they can. The climate is too harsh for horses (racing) they are entitled to a very high standard and air conditioned! Normal when one of the canassons present had just been bought 1 million dollar!

Beside, the groom (Pakistani) was treated with contempt and kicks in the ass ... Strange country where horses are better than men. :frown:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 13/02/08, 11:07

Christine said:

But we often forget that what is very energy-consuming over there is water. It is treated and desalted seawater.

It's true, but it's a shame: there are seawater desalination devices that run on solar energy, it looks like large greenhouses and can be made using Belgian glass :D
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 13/02/08, 12:08

Yes huh :D . I don't know which company you're referring to, but it wouldn't be silly to send salespeople to sell this kind of technology rather than jet-on aircraft.

But perhaps they have included this concern for the production of CO2less water in their plan? I do not know, this is why - as I already said - it would be necessary to have a little more details to gloss on this project.
0 x