Thermal bridges in the garage, optimization of a door and walls

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Christophe

Thermal bridges in the garage, optimization of a door and walls

by Christophe » 30/11/08, 13:00

Fight against leaks and thermal bridges in a garage and a garage door, photo report. Episode 1 2 on (I think enough 2)

Following the problem mentioned here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/isolation- ... t6607.html we began working with the simplest and least expensive: namely the optimization of thermal leaks and bridges of our garage (and there was potential for improvement as you will see in the pictures).

SITUATION

a) It is an "internal" garage at the house (Ive said that it is not attached, it is part of the house in its own right).
b) It is not heated (obviously)
c) It is not isolated from the rest of the house, it is in contact with a corridor, 2 rooms (our 2 offices actually: above and below) and a bathroom (above).
d) It is against isolated (30 cm Ytong / Siporex of 400 kg / m3) on exterior walls
d) The door 20 years and a lot of leaks (it's not that we begin the optimization) as you will see, but is already isolated over most of the surface of the opening (styrofoam).
e) This optimization will probably achieve better performance than replacing it with a new door for 10 times lower cost.

Edit by Christophe few months: here's an article that shows the change https://www.econologie.com/isoler-une-po ... -4031.html

A) BEFORE

The "virtual seal that has been forgotten" from the door sill (it's the same on the top):

B) WORK

purpose:

a) Caulk main leaks
b) Isolate what is possible on the frame (by gluing sheets of expanded polystyrene or extudé). About that: beware when you put the plates: made an opening test every time! It sounds stupid but a garage door has such bizare kinematics of time is not a luxury!
c) Improving the insulation of the opening

It starts with the access door to the hallway ...

Then attack the garage door:

C) FIRST RESULTS

a) The door bottom flanges (on sale for € 2.90 95 room for cm) have been screwed to the top of the door (I would make you pictures when the bottom will be done)
b) styrodur of plates glued to the top and side of the frame (it remains to be the lintel)

Side exterior is rather quiet, especially that it is possible to find the color door bottom of the door (not too much the case here!)

So much for the moment, the following:

a) putting socks on the bottom of the garage door (I lack 1 pudding + alu strips)
b) lintels and glass blocks

The garage has already gained a few ° C but above all the humidity has dropped (98% outside, it's snowing ...) to less than 50% (probably due to the "raw" ytong without coating which constitutes the exterior walls)

D) Estimated cost optimization of the complete Garage: less than € 70

- 8 door flanges to be € 2.90 23 €
- 5 to 6 m² of 3 or 4 cm styrodur (lintels included): recup. for the most part but still paid for a "day" at 5 to 6 € per m² or 30 € approximately
- 1/2 cartridge of "any glue" at around 5 €

To compare the price of a new garage door (2.40 m) isolated: 300 500 to € (transportation / installation). Question: on a new garage door, is that the frame has a thermal break?
Last edited by Christophe the 18 / 11 / 14, 13: 38, 2 edited once.
0 x
tigrou_838
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Garage insulation

by tigrou_838 » 01/12/08, 16:20

hello christophe, to reply to your little question:

"" Question: on a new garage door, does the frame have a thermal break? ""

I had a door just like you front door scrap 25ans I had to isolate styrodur 45mm, then I find a 450euros an isolated sectional motorized door.

the frame is therefore not in one room of thermal break.

Temp ° ext before 0, 3 int ° maximum.
after Temp ° ext 0, 15 ° int

it also remains isolated me lintel above the door to even won some small degree I hope.

Foam is good, but it must be done with special seals acrylic masonry exterior side (cartridge as silicone)

to see your garage, I think the small window have to receive double glazing (homemade).

tigrou
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 01/12/08, 17:53

Not stupid at all the blow of the door flanges!
I think I'll change my garage door insulation
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 01/12/08, 18:36

concrete lintels with walls Ytong, hello material incompatibility ...
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/12/08, 13:00

Ben greg, I do not know pkoi it's done well but that's ca.
There must be a good reason ... It is not the lift because the roof slabs are in "Ytong armed" ... so I do not know at all ....

Tigger ok to information for small windows I made the bourin and I put a piece of styrofoam for the winter, anyway apart the morning when the sun is shining (EST direction), they are not enough not enough to illuminate when you look for a tool ...
0 x
tigrou_838
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Garage insulation

by tigrou_838 » 02/12/08, 13:20

hi tof

the next time you pass by my house, in another two plate styrodur yellow in 3 or 4 cms for your lintel insulation above the garage door, because you have a very beautiful lintel with a beautiful bridge thermal.

in addition to the Bridge window.

I'm sure cut into three or four that have to go in the car.

tigrou
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/12/08, 13:32

Uh're on more and need? If so, the jte rachetré against 2 or 3 Rocheforts the next time we see :)

But then I still have some in stock, you know ... besides we have to finish the warm spell ... it's over there reneige :)

Hold here 3 photo measurement (1 ° C outside) T ° walls:

a) metal of the opening part:

b) sleeping on Styrodur:

c) Wall parpain hallway to:

After we had stopped because battery HS so I'm not sure of the reliability of these measures 3.

ps: this thermometer was replaced in the shop with a new more powerful model, I think the report to which I referred above with the new model (not adjustable emissivity old):

https://www.econologie.com/shop/thermome ... p-132.html
0 x
tigrou_838
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Garage insulation

by tigrou_838 » 02/12/08, 13:39

yes I see it, and that's normal temperature on the amount, it is in thermal bridges directly to the outside.

for plates, I ended insulation above garage, so I need it anymore, or against 2 3 cases of Rochefort.

when I was the same door, I find V plastic seals sticker that I put on the amounts, the door or doing day on your photos, and this stop not too bad cold winds.

both amount and with high crosses.

but not down, we must find a slightly larger joint, 2 3 cm was set on the door.

I find the seals roll in a DIY something, I do not know, for three francs six under.

tigrou : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

Re: Garage insulation

by Christophe » 02/12/08, 14:19

tigrou_838 wrote:for plates, I ended insulation above garage, so I need it anymore, or against 2 3 cases of Rochefort.

2 or 3 funds? You're crazy!!!
It is gold plated tone styrodur? : Mrgreen:

In the bottom of the door: I would like for the top, jcomptais do this AM that matter!

The "V" joints I already have them too! On the other hand they are in "D" in fact, it is serious doctor?

: Cheesy:
0 x
tigrou_838
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Garage insulation

by tigrou_838 » 02/12/08, 14:59

blah, ca should go well too, you will have just a little more resistance to closure, so better insulation.

the advantage of the v-packings is that you fill the thickness of 0,5mm has 5mm, so with a door that is not right it's boring. and even with bigger you can do more.

seals D to see how much you can mini maxi butcher, but it is also very good if you stay within the limit of the extent of the seal.

both are worth it in terms of space has clogged.

to your socks, the idea is good I think, it will not often open the garage, or else fixed under the doorjamb with a small latte and some scrap metal screw in are hoping that after the door closes.

one more thing, the door seals that leads to the garage, how they are?

tigrou
0 x