What about wood heating?

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
dodo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

What about wood heating?

by dodo » 12/10/10, 12:36

Hello,

I'm going to tear off my old open fireplace, and I'm starting to get interested in the wood burning stove, although I always prefer the aesthetic part of the fireplace but the budget is not the same.

What concerns me is that we can read a lot about wood heating,

- that it is a renewable energy
- that it is a type of polluting heating
- some even say that it is an archaic heating of the time of our ancestors.

in spite of all this one can find among the manufacturers like scan, heta, jotus, supra, many stoves in their catalog between the stoves in cast iron, steel and the stoves with soapstone which weighs in the 500kg.

I would like to have feedback from those who warm themselves with wood.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/10/10, 12:42

A) We have a complete file with the pros and cons here:
https://www.econologie.com/se-chauffer-bois-pourquoi/

Here is an excerpt from pros and cons, if it does not answer your questions, well I could not help you more:

woodburning Benefits

- Can be used in addition to heating an oil or gas boiler. For example, for off-season periods where the conventional boiler has poor performance and could be shut down (at least for heating).

- CO2 balance almost null.

- Cheap fuel compared to the price of fossil fuels (see comparative prices of heating fuels).

- Price of very low wood if you do it entirely yourself. It will cost you time, sweat and some expenses.

- A completely renewable source of energy provided that the forest is managed in a sustainable way (which is the case in the majority of the countries of Western Europe).

- Do sports for those who split their wood or even cut down their own wood!

- Varied choice of fuels of different shapes and origins: from traditional logs to pellets from sawmill waste and shredded wood! See page: types of firewood.

- Development or maintenance of the local economy! By warming yourself in the woods at home, you create sustainable and local jobs in your area!

- Development of new econological sectors: more sharing of renewable resources, more local actors, less power to large energy lobbies ...

- Valorization of wood by-products (cutting waste, sawdust ...): 2th economic development.

- Low price fluctuation (even if wood prices are aligned, to some extent, with oil).

- Morally, it makes you less responsible and dependent on oil and gas conflicts and international geopolitics.

- Beauty of a flame visible in the living room, stove or fireplace can add an important "cachet" to your home.

- Antidepressant and relaxing pyschological function of stoves or inserts with visible flame. In addition, the beneficial effect on the morale of infrared radiation (that all poes emit) is known and recognized by medicine since the 60 years (research conducted by NASA during the Apollo program in particular).

wood heating drawbacks

- Binding if you are 100% wood (ECS and heating included).

- Maintenance and maintenance generally higher than fuel oil or gas.

- Requires constant attention (ie periodic reloading) except for automatic feeders (shredded wood, pellets).

- Prices are not regulated: they vary from one region to another.

- Low power regulation (except pellets) and therefore requires a much larger storage volume than fuel oil. Example: 3,5 needs more volume with pellets than with fuel and almost 10 times more with shredded wood.

- Requires a dry and airy storage place.

- Fouler fouling of the chimney, especially if the fuel wood is of poor quality. Read the article on different types of firewood.

- Can strongly pollute the CO (lethal!), Particles and soot with improperly regulated heating equipment or poor quality fuel (see wood burning analysis)

Debate: Heating-to-wood-why-and-how-file-t9111.html

B) Why tear off your chimney for a stove? So put an insert with heat recovery ...
0 x
dodo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by dodo » 12/10/10, 12:59

Christophe wrote:
B) Why tear off your chimney for a stove? So put an insert with heat recovery ...

thanks for the link I'm going to take a look.

we will remove the chimney because madame want a kitchen open to the living room :P and since it is stuck to the wall in question. It should be rotated 90 degrees otherwise.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 12/10/10, 15:40

The right stove will take the same volume as the chimney which can be moved as well or have a stove mounted in insert and chimney ??

Think ahead before the best choice, check seeing the stove or fireplace working at other people who bought the same supplier installer !!
0 x
dodo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by dodo » 12/10/10, 15:50

if you open the living room on the kitchen, you must be on the wall.

I actually went to someone who uses a stove yesterday, it happened to be more than 25 degrees in the room.

I was even surprised because the person even picked up the nutshells to get warm.

I read christophe's links, and saw the did67 and Bernard debate. : Mrgreen:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 12/10/10, 16:45

someone who uses a stove yesterday, it turned out that it was more than 25 degrees in the room.

At the moment it is hot and therefore not surprising, heating almost useless!

With the wood, stove or insert is heated strong, but not long, except good stove or insert quite expensive!
So no problem to heat with the basic stove in the room in less than an hour!

We must see in winter by -5 ° C and especially the constraints in wood, frequency of refills, ashes and sweeps that dirty!

example of Norwegian stove recommended in a post here that is above the French average:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/post177710.html#177710
http://www.danskan.be/danskan_poeles_a_bois.htm
http://www.dutry.com/merken/danskan/dan ... _bois.html
http://www.poeles-cheminees.com/poele_scandinave.htm
http://www.atre-loisirs.fr/www-poele_fo ... 05-FR.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/10/10, 16:47

Yes and here is a typical curve of the power of a wood stove (or boiler) over time:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/rendement- ... t9209.html

0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 12/10/10, 18:59

And we fill the logs every hour in cold weather !!

If you're away for a day you end up cool with low embers and it's quite an art to restart the fire spontaneously with the embers!
0 x
dodo
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by dodo » 15/10/10, 23:36

thank you christophe for these infos on the powers because it is not clear to know that power can take some mark as scan-line announces that with 6kw one can heat up to 120m2 and other like jotul announcement of 8kw.

tonight a stove seller just told me that a stove in our house will not be possible indeed our chimney touches the beam even when tubing the chimney.

: Evil:
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 16/10/10, 01:40

tonight a stove seller just told me that a stove in our house will not be possible indeed our chimney touches the beam even when tubing the chimney.

Your chimney and well old firebricks ??
In my opinion there must be way to tuber and protect your heat beam from heat by a thin layer of insulator and plate of aluminum or copper good conductor of the heat which removes the weak heat of the brick of chimney.
A brick chimney does not heat up much above all cased, and well ventilated in the attic.
In addition, the wood does not catch fire with more than 150 ° C to 200 ° C.
At home and almost all houses not new, the brick chimney passes against the girder and nothing happens since 34ans!
At home, with the uncased chimney, you made fires and the beam did not heat up !!
So, look for another more motivated and competent installer who does not apply a regulation that provides this for a rudimentary chimney flue without insulating brick fireplace !!!

I seem to have seen a regulation providing these conditions for beams!
0 x