Summary: Driving without oil, vehicles of tomorrow

Transport and new transport: energy, pollution, engine innovations, concept car, hybrid vehicles, prototypes, pollution control, emission standards, tax. not individual transport modes: transport, organization, carsharing or carpooling. Transport without or with less oil.
Christophe

Summary: Driving without oil, vehicles of tomorrow

by Christophe » 29/06/07, 18:18

Received by email and very interesting (but a bit long sorry):

Bonjour à tous

The 10 last June, I gave a lecture entitled Roll Without Oil. Today, I am sending you a few digital slides that I presented for the benefit of all. You will find all this data and more in the book I'm writing now.

First, after studying the various options, I come to the conclusion that the vehicles of the future will be plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. An excellent compromise is that they travel, on average across the entire vehicle fleet, 70% of kilometers in electric mode and 30% of kilometers using biofuel. The engine will be electric only and the engine will be connected to a generator on board, to recharge the batteries en route. This is called a hybrid series vehicle.

In fact I consider that cars and light trucks can travel 80% of their mileage in electric mode, which requires a battery capable of giving autonomy, in pure electric mode, 100 km per daily recharge. For medium and heavy trucks, I assume they will be able to travel 40% of their mileage in electric mode. The average for the complete fleet of vehicles giving 70% of the mileage in electric mode.

To evaluate the impacts of such a scenario, it is first necessary to evaluate the average power consumption of the plug-in hybrid electric vehicle fleet, when they only operate on their batteries. To do this, it is first necessary to establish the percentage of the different vehicles and their respective consumption of electricity at 100 km. The first slide below shows the result of my evaluation. I relied on the statistics of the French and US transport ministries. I assume that in a context of energy scarcity and high fuel costs, people will opt for more adapted vehicles if necessary, hence the 25% of small city cars. As for the consumption of each category of vehicles, I used the power consumption of different existing vehicles.

The end result is an average power consumption of 20 kWh / 100km for the entire fleet, when the vehicles only run on the electricity stored in their batteries.

Also, for all the graphs in this e-mail, I did not take into account that people were more involved in public transit, cycling, or carpooling. It's "business as usual" at the level of transport habits. These figures are therefore conservative.

In the second slide, I have multiplied 70% of the kilometers traveled by all the vehicles of different countries by 20 kWh / 100km, to obtain the electric consumption of the fleet of road vehicles, and I compared it with the electric consumption per inhabitant in these different countries. As can be seen, given Quebec's large electricity production, we would only need 5,4% of our current electricity consumption to meet demand! Let's not forget that a transition to plug-in hybrid electric vehicles will run from 15 to 20 years and that an increase in 5,4% power generation over such a period is no problem. In fact, we could recover about 10% of electricity consumed in Quebec if we installed geothermal heat pumps to replace 60% of heating, we would not need to build new dams.

As seen in the graph, Californians are those for whom a transition to primarily electrical mobility (70%) represents the biggest challenge. In their case, the abundant solar energy they have could play an important role, especially since it is already competitive in California, where electricity rates are higher. In addition, several studies have already shown that up to 20% of electricity can be recovered in the United States through energy saving measures, at a lower cost than building new plants.

Learn more about the author P.Langlois:

https://www.econologie.com/forums/pierre-lan ... t6554.html
https://www.econologie.com/forums/voiture-el ... t7716.html
https://www.econologie.com/rouler-sans-p ... -4160.html
https://www.econologie.com/forums/transport- ... t8306.html
Last edited by Christophe the 11 / 10 / 10, 09: 56, 3 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/06/07, 18:20

Let us now look at the greenhouse gas reductions that are achieved in different regions when the vehicles operate in electric mode.

To carry out this calculation, it is necessary to know that for each liter of gasoline consumed, 2,35 kg of CO2 is emitted into the atmosphere, and that for each liter of diesel consumed 2,68 kg of CO2 is emitted. This corresponds, for the European fleet (more diesel) to about 2,5 kg CO2 / liter of fuel, and 2,4 kg CO2 / liter of fuel for the North American fleet.

It is then sufficient to obtain the number of grams of CO2 / km to know the total number of liters of fuel consumed in a country / state / province as well as the total number of kilometers traveled by all vehicles. These statistics are given by the transport ministries of the different governments. In the graph below, the number of grams of CO2 / km of conventional vehicles (in 2004) is brown. I point out that this is an average on all vehicles, including trucks and buses.

To obtain the quantity of CO2 emitted by vehicles running on electricity, it is sufficient to know the number of grams of CO2 emitted per kWh by the plants of the different countries / states / provinces (in 2004):

- France = 90 gCO2 / kWh

- Canada = 220 gCO2 / kWh

- United States = 656 gCO2 / kWh

- Quebec = 20 gCO2 / kWh

- California = 311 gCO2 / kWh

Knowing these values, simply multiply them by 0,2 kWh / km, which corresponds to the average electrical consumption of the vehicle fleet described in the table above (20 kWh / 100km). We then obtain the green bars in the graph below, above which I indicated the decrease incurred in the emission of greenhouse gases, when the vehicles circulate in electric mode.

As we can see, Quebec is particularly pampered because it would see its emissions decrease by a factor 73! Even Americans, who produce 70% of their electricity with fossil fuels (50% coal, 20% natural gas), would see a decrease of a factor 2,7!

In addition to gains in CO2 emissions, there would obviously be gains in pollutant emissions, such as volatile organic gases (carcinogens), carbon monoxide (harmful for the heart and those suffering from respiratory diseases), nitrogen oxides (the cause of smog), sulfur oxides (responsible for acid rain), and soot particles (harmful to the respiratory system). I have graphed the factors of reduction of these various pollutants for California, of which you can see the composition of the energy park in 2004 in the other graph that follows.

Imagine the gains for people's health!

Last edited by Christophe the 11 / 10 / 10, 09: 57, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/06/07, 18:25

Now that we have covered the 70% of mileage done in electric mode, let's take a look at what the remaining 30% is doing with biofuels.

The first thing that's important to note is that advanced plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, like the ones we're looking at here, will consume about 5 times less fuel when they run in their fuel mode (without recharging the batteries on the sector). These vehicles will therefore consume on average 6% of the fuel currently consumed. There will be no problem using only biofuel and FINISH THE OIL !!!!

In addition, with second generation biofuels, not ethanol made with corn kernels, the impact on greenhouse gases will be very low, because of the carbon cycle of the plants used for the production of biofuels.

The reduction of an 5 factor in fuel consumption, in fuel mode, is a result of several factors. First, Hybrid series electric motor-wheel vehicles consume less than half of the fuel, as demonstrated by several prototype vehicles recently (see slide below). Several prototypes of wheel-drive cars will soon confirm this state of affairs.

The second set of fuel reduction factors is the predictable improvement in heat engines. Three approaches are worth mentioning in this regard. The first approach consists of vaporizing the fuel before injecting it into the cylinders of the engine and mixing it with a little hydrogen produced on board the vehicle, or water vapor superheated by the exhaust gases (Pantone process and Pantone-G). As we have seen in several previous emails, this approach allows diesel engines to use 50% less fuel. Another recent technological breakthrough is the development of non-crystalline carbon coatings alloyed with glycerol as a lubricant, which allows friction to be reduced by a factor of 10 compared to conventional lubrication techniques (a very good article, titled " Motors, Adieu les frottements! ”And signed by Xavier Müller, has just been published on this subject in the May 2007 issue of Science & Vie). From this reduction in friction we can expect a 10% reduction in fuel consumption. Finally, the third approach which has the potential to also significantly reduce fuel consumption is the use of new rotary engines, like the Quasiturbine, which have ten times fewer parts than a conventional engine, and do not need valves.

By combining only three of the four factors we discussed, we get a reduction of one factor 5!

Finally, to complete this overview of cars of the future, it must be emphasized that fuel cell cars (PAC), which are filled with hydrogen, have no place!

The demonstration is obvious and several scientists denounce it more and more. We are entitled to ask serious questions about the current hydrogen lobby ...

Of course, PAC cars emit only water vapor at the place of use. The problem is in the manufacture of hydrogen. We obviously do not want to produce hydrogen from fossil fuels. We are therefore led to use the electrolysis of water, ideally from renewable electricity. But, as we can see in the slide below, in doing so and using fuel cells we end up with about 27% of electricity, used to make hydrogen, which arrives at the engines. It is simply a question of multiplying the efficiencies of the electrolysis (0,75), the compression in the tank (0,9) and the fuel cell (0,4) to obtain this result (0,75 x 0,9 x 0,4 = 0,27). On the other hand, if we store energy in the form of electricity in batteries (instead of hydrogen in a tank) we see that 85% of the electricity reaches the engines.

A plug-in hybrid electric car, running on the electricity of its battery, uses THREE TIMES LESS ELECTRICITY than a fuel cell car, for the same mileage. In addition, hydrogen costs 5 10 times more expensive than electricity and is much more dangerous to transport and handle!

So tell me, in these conditions why a smart person would like to use hydrogen fuel cells and have to build three times more power plants, pay at least 5 times more expensive fuel and run all risks of installing a hydrogen distribution network? Some may argue that it is sufficient to use a liquid fuel with a reformer in the vehicle. To those I answer, why not use a combustion engine with biofuel, which is much cheaper and makes more sense, given the small amount that will be needed.

NO, THERE IS NO REALLY NO PLACE FOR FUEL CELLS IN VEHICLES IN THE NEXT QUARTER OF CENTURY, FOR WHEN WE ARE IN A PERIOD OF RESTRICTION AT THE LEVEL OF ENERGY, IT IS NOT IN THE GASPILLANT WHAT IS THE RULE OF OUR PROBLEM?

In closing, let's summarize the main advantages of ELECTRICAL-BIOCARBURANT MOBILITY.

- We are sheltered from the depletion of oil and its price which is racing

- greenhouse gases are significantly reduced, which reduces the risks associated with climate change.

- we significantly reduce polluting emissions, which greatly reduces our health costs.

- we are revitalizing our economy by ceasing our importation of oil for road transport (5 billion dollars a year for Quebec)

- the noise in our cities is greatly reduced

Quattendons we?

cordially

Pierre Langlois, Ph.D.
physicist: consultant / author

www.planglois-pca.com
Last edited by Christophe the 11 / 10 / 10, 09: 58, 1 edited once.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 29/06/07, 19:10

There is one detail that I did not understand very well about the pie chart of the Californian electric production:

11% of renewable
17% hydroelectric

hydroelectricity would not be renewable?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/06/07, 19:12

Ben apparently not in his ranking ...

Me what surprises me is simply the 11% (it's huge) but good California is a case apart in the US.
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 01/07/07, 22:50

: Arrow: Yes, California is a special case, its situation is rather privileged for renewable energies.
- Solar, photovoltaic or thermal, we also find solar thermal to produce electricity via stirling engines.
- The wind because of the proximity of the sea and natural reliefs.
- Geothermal energy because of its geological situation (the San Andreas Fault).
The use of the sea is also a significant deposit.
Finally, the largest deposit in the short term is, as elsewhere, the reduction of waste ...

Thanks to christophe for putting this post online : Arrowu: notament the articles on hybrid prototypes series. There are many more than that, but no media has exhaustively identified them.

In my opinion, this is THE short-term logical solution ...
However, I want to moderate the author's point of view.
The agricultural situation of France and the planet is very worrying.
The replacement of petroleum cannot be operated by 100% national vegetable oil. World production is falling due to global warming, the cereal stock has fallen from 6 months to 3 months, prices are soaring ... And imported "biofuel" will be as expensive as oil ....
I let you meditate on the subject ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/07/07, 23:29

citro wrote:The replacement of petroleum cannot be operated by 100% national vegetable oil. World production is falling due to global warming, the cereal stock has fallen from 6 months to 3 months, prices are soaring ... And imported "biofuel" will be as expensive as oil ....

All this is simply pure speculation because for the moment the choices of biofuels are those of businessmen, oilmen, goldenboys and co ...

If we developed the algae biofuel the deal would be surely different (it does not eat seaweed ... or very rarely) ...

It may not be for nothing that bush wanted to develop ethanol ... he was very aware of the consequences on prices ...

https://www.econologie.com/biocarburant- ... -3388.html
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 04/07/07, 23:11

Pierre Langlois wrote:[...] First, after studying the various options, I come to the conclusion that the vehicles of the future will be plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. An excellent compromise is that they travel, on average across the entire vehicle fleet, 70% of kilometers in electric mode and 30% of kilometers using biofuel. The engine will be electric only and the engine will be connected to a generator on board, to recharge the batteries en route. This is called a hybrid series vehicle. [...] / quote]
Fun! :P That's exactly the idea I'm defending too! : Mrgreen:

Ben say Christophe, you're not angry with the hybrids anymore? : Wink:

citro wrote:[...] The agricultural situation of France and the planet is very worrying.
The replacement of petroleum cannot be operated by 100% national vegetable oil. World production is falling due to global warming, the cereal stock has fallen from 6 months to 3 months, prices are soaring ... And imported "biofuel" will be as expensive as oil ....
In fact, it is necessary to reason more in terms of "fuel from biomass" than in terms of direct agro-fuel to avoid the perverse effects of this (clearing and replacement of forests by monocultures, competition for the use of seeds. with nutrition, excess of intensive agriculture, etc ...)
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/07/07, 23:35

Woodcutter wrote:Ben say Christophe, you're not angry with the hybrids anymore? : Wink:

Pfff did not understand you!

I've never been angry with biohybrids ... only with petro-hybrids : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 04/07/07, 23:58

Waaaaah, so him! : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."

Back to "New transport: innovations, engines, pollution, technologies, policies, organization ..."