Bench and biodiversity

Innovations, ideas or patents for sustainable development. Decrease in energy consumption, reduction of pollution, improvement of yields or processes ... Myths or reality about inventions of the past or the future: the inventions of Tesla, Newman, Perendev, Galey, Bearden, cold fusion ...
Eco-Challenge
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Bench and biodiversity

by Eco-Challenge » 20/03/17, 14:56

Hello everyone !

Without going into too much detail to avoid a message river, we are developing an urban base to promote biodiversity at the foot of trees instead of tree grids that have little use.

We are trying to raise funds through a contest on votes (for motivated to support us, we need all the help we can !) to go into the test phase in the field.

The return of the Ecological community, at this stage, would be really interesting at all levels on the subject! By that I mean constructive criticism in :)

To have a more precise description and start the discussion> https://blog.defi-ecologique.com/banc-refuge/

Thank you in advance to all :)
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Bench and biodiversity

by phil53 » 20/03/17, 19:18

It may be from a good feeling, but I'm not sure that passers-by will dare to sit on benches where there are wasps and other small animals.
In my garden, naturally, in the composter and in the bands covered with hay or brf, have settled spiders. They are huge and thrive.
That makes me rather happy, but I can assure you that my wife hates it. I think many are of his opinion.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/03/17, 19:49

Giving yourself a clear conscience by "protecting" in town and on a small scale the bugs that are massively eradicated in the countryside, is "too trendy"! : Lol: : roll:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Eco-Challenge
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Eco-Challenge » 21/03/17, 07:20

phil53 wrote:It may be from a good feeling, but I'm not sure that passers-by will dare to sit on benches where there are wasps and other small animals.
In my garden, naturally, in the composter and in the bands covered with hay or brf, have settled spiders. They are huge and thrive.
That makes me rather happy, but I can assure you that my wife hates it. I think many are of his opinion.

It's obvious. Also surely that I do not sit on a bench that I find too dirty or that I will not take advantage of these "chairs" (1/3 of benches) that we see blooming everywhere in our cities. in the middle of nowhere and everyone. What is strange is that you are currently the 9th person to tell us this but these 9 people, and you therefore, could sit on it ...

Ahmed wrote:Giving yourself a clear conscience by "protecting" in town and on a small scale the bugs that are massively eradicated in the countryside, is "too trendy"! : Lol: : roll:

It is true that one could also stay there without doing anything and wait for the universal salary by saying that the environment will be a problem for our kids. Or you can read the article and talk after.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 21/03/17, 09:24

The first question of your FAQ is
"We see more and more, in public gardens, hotels with insects on the way to ruin ... A political coup without any follow-up. "
It is from this observation that we left, to bitterly support the interest of using this Refuge bench for something other than a simple urban object.
Refuge bench: an urban base serving biodiversity https://blog.defi-ecologique.com/banc-r ... z4bwfkxmpM
Their place is in the middle of a natural setting and quite far from the public, because of the inconvenience specified by Phil53.

I do not understand the project either. There are many other possibilities to give back biodiversity in cities :
  • parks, flowers, terraces and green walls.
  • reduced lighting with motion detectors, reduced energy waste at the same time
  • Maintenance of the park of insect hotels
A sign "At your own risk" to warn passers-by?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/03/17, 09:49

To do something useless and which, moreover, strengthens the illusion of a positive reorientation, is to encourage the environmentalism at the expense of the fight against the real ecological crisis ... It is the spectacle of the action instead of action.

"Bench and biodiversity": isn't this an unconscious way of illustrating the fact that we sit on biodiversity? : Lol:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 21/03/17, 11:05

Hello,

Is it an approach to accustom people in cities to biodiversity? or to get biodiversity used to living in the city, for when there will be no more in the countryside ...? (Like zoos to "conserve" extinct species?)

@ Phil53, in my garden I also have a lot of spiders running on the blanket of fallen leaves, but I like spiders :P .
Wasps do not forage, so if there are any around these "biodiverse" public benches, it is because people drop part of their snack on the spot ...
0 x
Eco-Challenge
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Eco-Challenge » 22/03/17, 08:55

Thank you for your feedback!

If I summarize well then there are only detractors =)
Frankly I really understand your feedback as much as I think they are to weight

I allow myself to answer a little laconically, but it is first and foremost to avoid going on a message eh.

izentrop wrote:I do not understand the project either. There are many other possibilities to give back biodiversity in cities

There is precisely a point "Raising human awareness of the environment", a crucial point of our project. Having widely installed entomofauna awareness panels is not a bad thing! Giving people the opportunity to go to a platform that tells them about their local wildlife either, right?
Regarding the maintenance of the existing insect hotel park in any case we agree. But we must also remember that 15 years ago, when the first hotels appeared more numerous, many ecologists and naturalists rebelled against "who cares about hotels, it is the natural environment that 'we must save! " (which is true in this case). Like what the look has evolved.

For precision and feedback on all the criticisms that we have already gleaned so far:

phil53 wrote:It may be a good feeling, but I'm not sure that passers-by will dare to sit on benches where wasps and other small animals are housed.

The reflection has been made 12 now and always by people who would be ready to sit on it :)
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 22/03/17, 11:57

dede2002 wrote:Hello,

Is it an approach to accustom people in cities to biodiversity? or to get biodiversity used to living in the city, for when there will be no more in the countryside ...? (Like zoos to "conserve" extinct species?)

@ Phil53, in my garden I also have lots of spiders running on the blanket of fallen leaves, but I like spiders :P .
Wasps do not forage, so if there are any around these "biodiverse" public benches, it is because people drop part of their snack on the spot ...

Dede, if you have been on the link proposed you will see that there is nothing to forage and when I see these benches very clean, I imagine them in real life with lots of leftovers of mac-do or kebab embellished with butts or chewing gums planted in holes for insects.
On the site to see this sanitized universe with this rickety tree surrounded by a bench, I think to scratch the bark to see if there is not a USB socket and a wifi terminal hidden in the trunk.
In summary, Defi-eco, from my point of view this is not a solution that will return insects. They need a world that is favorable to them. In this case they will find themselves where to nest.
This is how you preserve 100m2 of forest and that you propose to the natives to live in the 10th floor of the building which took the place of the forest.
That's just my opinion.
0 x
Eco-Challenge
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Eco-Challenge » 22/03/17, 13:06

phil53 wrote:Dede, if you have been on the link proposed you will see that there is nothing to forage and when I see these benches very clean, I imagine them in real life with lots of leftovers of mac-do or kebab embellished with butts or chewing gums planted in holes for insects.

It's a risk. But what I do not understand is that with this reasoning we do not make a natural park either because people may throw tires at them, no?

phil53 wrote:On the site to see this sanitized universe with this rickety tree surrounded by a bench, I think to scratch the bark to see if there is not a USB socket and a wifi terminal hidden in the trunk.

We are against connected objects for many reasons, we should have asked. From there to condemn a project for things that do not appear there ...

phil53 wrote:In summary, Defi-eco, from my point of view this is not a solution that will return insects. They need a world that is favorable to them. In this case they will find themselves where to nest.

We never had the presumption to say that we were going to save the world, just that we want to participate in the change, otherwise we would not even have come here to take the risk of being thrown stones. Moreover, we constantly shout that better value a wide range of environments ... Through our educational panel among other things.

phil53 wrote:This is how you preserve 100m2 of forest and that you propose to the natives to live in the 10th floor of the building which took the place of the forest. That's just my opinion.

To be fair in the metaphor we should rather say that we come to an exhibition on the natives so that the chainsawners are aware of the error they have committed because we do not have more means than you to condemn and stop the chainsaws.
0 x

Go back to "Innovations, inventions, patents and ideas for sustainable development"