Tesla Powerwall: profitable?

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 26/05/15, 13:28

I never said the opposite and I don't forget anything at all. :?

1 / The individual car for everyone is a declining economic model (much to the dismay of the manufacturers), mainly in the city. Cities are doing everything they can to drive cars out of public space (paid 24-hour parking, narrowed traffic lanes, fewer parking spaces, 24 or restricted areas, etc.). In Bordeaux, elected officials boast of having, thanks to these measures, reduced the number of cars per household from 30 to 1.2 in the hyper center.

2 / Not everyone lives in a pavilion like me, but all individual houses could advantageously be fitted with solar panels instead of tiles, vestiges of outdated construction methods. And soon, it will be the glazing of our windows (including apartment) that will be photovoltaic.

3 / I gave an order of magnitude of what represents a photovoltaic production, But I drive more than 30.000km per year with my electric vehicles. My electricity consumption for vehicles has reached up to 6000kWh per year and does not exceed 4000kWh today because the electric scooter and then the electric bicycle are increasingly replacing the use of the electric car.
Compared to 8 years ago, cycling represents a reduction by 50 (65 to be precise) of my energy consumption for going to work.
This allows part of my solar production to be transferred to home consumption.

I am not a model, I just give leads, concrete examples in support, while keeping in mind the diversity of cases. : Mrgreen:
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 31/05/15, 13:32

The Irish company Gaelectric will buy 1 MW of battery from TESLA to insert it into storage systems for ENR in Ireland. Deployment in 2016.

Tesla and Gaelectric to Introduce Tesla Battery Storage to Ireland

May 28, 2015 evwind

Gaelectric and Tesla today announced the purchase and planned deployment of Tesla Energy's first battery power utility-scale project in Ireland.

The two companies are collaborating to develop a pipeline of multiple battery projects to build new transmission system services required to facilitate the integration of renewable energy sources such as solar and wind. The initial demonstration project, 1-MW in size, is targeted for deployment in 2016.

http://www.evwind.es/2015/05/28/tesla-a ... land/52428
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 01/06/15, 00:01

1MW is a unit of power, not capacity. : Evil:

Still journalists who write articles without knowing or understanding what they write ...

TESLA primarily sells storage capacity. :?

On the other hand I would be curious to know how many MegaWatt.hours will be installed to provide 1 MegaWatt of instantaneous peak power. :?:

Apart from the "coup de com" and the fact that the TESLA technology will be installed in Europe, this article does not help us much ...
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 02/06/15, 16:44

citro wrote:On the other hand I would be curious to know how many MegaWatt.hours will be installed to provide 1 MegaWatt of instantaneous peak power. :?:

Apart from the "coup de com" and the fact that the TESLA technology will be installed in Europe, this article does not help us much ...

Same remark on another forum.

I just looked at various sources again. They are talking about 1 MW.
So it's power.

But that doesn't say how many MW.h it stores (energy).

When you know how the press works, you should know that in general everyone slavishly copies a `` press release '' (press release in English) when it is not an oral public communication (like a general meeting of shareholders) or an interview.

If you search a bit you will quickly find the press release of Gaelectric:
http://www.gaelectric.ie/index.php/2015 ... o-ireland/

Dublin, Ireland; Thursday, 28th May 2015 - Gaelectric and Tesla today announced the purchase and planned deployment of Tesla Energy's first battery power utility-scale project in Ireland. The two companies are collaborating to develop a pipeline of multiple battery projects to build new transmission system services required to facilitate the integration of renewable energy sources such as solar and wind. The initial demonstration project, 1-MW in size, is targeted for deployment in 2016.

1 MW, we will know no more. Image
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 10/06/15, 20:39

In addition to TESLA here is that Mercedes-Benz is also entering the domestic battery market:

Mercedes-Benz, in Tesla's footsteps, launches its domestic battery

By Aurélie M'Bida Usine Nouvelle on June 10, 2015

The German manufacturer Daimler presented this Wednesday, June 10, the first individual storage system for electricity stamped with its Mercedes-Benz brand, at the Intersolar fair which takes place in Munich (Germany) from June 10 to 12.

From an emerging (and innovative) market with Tesla, to the beginnings of a new trend with Mercedes-Benz. Soon, no doubt, the domestic electricity storage market put forward by these major car manufacturers, will be emulated. This Wednesday, June 10, the famous three-pointed star brand, owned by Daimler AG, unveiled its new electricity storage battery, for private and industrial use, at the Intersolar trade fair in Munich, dedicated to industry and solar energy. The German manufacturer strikes hard and goes fast, insofar as this battery is already available for sale. Pre-reservations are open online with delivery scheduled for the beginning of September.

Less powerful than the Powerwall system

Coming from Daimler's Deutsche Accumotive division, which develops Lithium-Ion batteries for its hybrid and electric motor vehicles, this new energy storage system has been "developed for demanding use in automobiles". The Mercedes-Benz battery therefore presents "high standards of quality and safety", according to the manufacturer. It will be able to contain around 2,5 kWh, which is however less powerful than the 10 kWh Powerwall system from Telsa presented on April 30, 2015. However, it will be possible to assemble up to eight of these batteries to achieve a capacity of 20 kWh electrical storage.

Sector of the future

The German manufacturer has not yet announced a price. But based on the success of Tesla, which announced that it had registered 38 pre-orders for its home battery in one week, it is fairly easy to deduce that Mercedes-Benz will suffer a similar fate. In fact, the electricity storage industry, which was valued at just $ 000 million in 200, would reach $ 2012 billion in 19, according to the specialized firm IHS CERA.

http://www.usinenouvelle.com/article/me ... ue.N334851
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 11/06/15, 16:30

Saft is doing it too.

The new Intensium® Home 10M 240 V storage system consists of five Li-ion modules that provide both high power of 10 kW and energy storage capacity of 10 kWh in a cabinet with a specially designed aesthetic design for commercial and domestic installations.
[...]
During the Intersolar trade fair, visitors will be able to learn about the growing range of Saft “behind the meter” energy storage solutions, from solutions for individual homes with Intensium® Home 4M (4 kWh / 7 kW) to tertiary and agricultural buildings with the Intensium® Smart system (50 kWh / 100 kW).

http://www.saftbatteries.com/fr/presse/ ... laire-avec
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 11/06/15, 23:17

thank you for this information Gaston. :D

This is great news. Finally, seeing the leading Western operators entering the arena is thrilling.

I think that the Asians will soon be breaking in too (the Koreans, the Japanese and of course the Chinese).

It remains to know the price and detailed services of the products that will be offered.
:?:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/06/15, 14:37

0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 22/06/15, 08:54

Today, an interesting article on the website of the newspaper Le Monde. It refers to some studies ...

And nuance the subject.

http://internetactu.blog.lemonde.fr/201 ... t-changer/
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 22/06/15, 19:15

we learn that Tesla has also made Powerpacks much larger than the PowerWall.

Tesla also unveiled the PowerPack, an even more impressive battery (neither the marketing nor the price have been announced) capable of storing 100 to 250 kWh, making it possible to consider storing electricity for an entire building or a village. For Musk, his batteries allow us to envision what would be a transition to a world of sustainable energy. With 160 million PowerPacks, we could achieve the energy transition of the United States. With 2 billion, that of the entire planet (transport, electricity and heating included). Of course, $ 2 billion seems like an insane number, yet, Musk recalls, is roughly the number of cars and trucks in circulation on the planet - and only in circulation, not the sum of all the cars produced. Which means we've done such crazy things before.

Image: the large Tesla PowerPack.
0 x