Energiestro (store energy by inertia in concrete)

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
lolopil
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Energiestro (store energy by inertia in concrete)

by lolopil » 10/04/15, 13:21

Hello
I know that the subject has already been discussed (flying inertia), however, I 'm contributing to informing about the evolution of this storage solution, because the Energiestro company is one of the finalists in the Edf Pulse Edition 2015 competition.
The concept is not new in itself, but they plan to use a concrete storage wheel instead of more expensive materials such as steel or carbon.
Here is the presentation of the product in question:

The brake on the massive use of renewable energies is their intermittency. Storage is a solution to this problem, but with current solutions, batteries, the cost of energy storage is high: more than 0,10 € / kWh. It's more than the cost of producing energy! The reason is the low battery life: only a few thousand cycles. Storage by flywheel can, it, achieve a very large number of cycles, but as current flywheels are in expensive materials (steel or carbon), their acquisition cost remains too high.
6 patents filed

Energiestro invented a process to use a very low cost material, concrete. This new solar storage steering wheel, VOSS, will be at the same price as the cheapest batteries, but with an unlimited lifetime, thus offering a storage cost lower than 0,02 € / kWh. It will then become possible to massively increase the production of intermittent renewable energies.
Energiestro aims in particular giant solar power plants installed in the deserts. The combination of photovoltaic panels and flying VOSS will produce renewable energy available night and day at a lower price than fossil fuels.
The VOSS project won the 2014 Global Innovation Competition.

The link of the source:
http://pulse.edf.com/fr/voss-volant-de-stockage-solaire

and the Energiestro website:
http://www.energiestro.fr/
0 x
_________________________________which can (+) can (-)
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/04/15, 14:17

Hello,

Unlimited life with ball bearings that have to support 16 tons?

What are the energy losses over time?
0 x
lolopil
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by lolopil » 10/04/15, 14:32

izentrop wrote:Unlimited life with ball bearings that have to support 16 tons?

What are the energy losses over time?

Hello
according to the description the flywheel would operate under vacuum (less friction)
As for bearings supporting such a weight ??
I think designers have to study the problem as they use
one of their model to power their facilities.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 10/04/15, 15:44

I do not see how such low storage capacity (a few kwh) could have an interest other than anecdotal like the switching buffer between two sources or other stuff like that.
but to say that it is a storage solution ....
more than 3tonnes to store 10kwh .....
0 x
Click my signature
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 10/04/15, 16:42

The problem of inertial storage is that the forces acting on the steering wheel are proportional to the square of the speed of rotation.

And for the tensile strength, the concrete is not very good ...

With identical mass, a concrete rotor stores 480 times less energy than a Kevlar rotor capable of rotating 22 times faster ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 10/04/15, 17:14

dirk pitt wrote:from there to say that it is a storage solution ....
It may be a solution for a small photovoltaic installation, but it should not come back more expensive than batteries and that it takes several days without loss of energy greater than batteries.
gaston wrote:a concrete rotor stores 480 times less energy than a Kevlar rotor
and it is 480 times more expensive?
0 x
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Energiestro

by hic » 10/04/15, 19:53

Hi lolopil
The advantage of inertial storage,
is that it stores and restores a peak of power inaccessible to the batteries

disadvantage
for low storage capacity

lolopil wrote:Hello
I know that the subject has already been discussed (flying inertia), however, I 'm contributing to informing about the evolution of this storage solution, because the Energiestro company is one of the finalists in the Edf Pulse Edition 2015 competition.
The concept is not new in itself, but they plan to use a concrete storage wheel instead of more expensive materials such as steel or carbon.
0 x
lolopil
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by lolopil » 11/04/15, 07:53

Hello
I thought that this solution had potential, but in view of the weak points that you raise I think the other alternative and may be more adequate (always with the edf pulse contest).
I think of chemical storage by electrolysis
when there are peaks in electricity production

source:
http://pulse.edf.com/fr/reversible-elec ... e-chimique

and also in addition

[/ quote] Biofuel: cheap hydrogen produced from corn

Hydrogen as a source of clean, efficient energy ... and cheap: it could soon become a reality. A team at the Virginia Institute of Technology has developed a method for producing ecological and economical hydrogen from plant residues, in this case maize. A solution that could make it possible to generalize the use of this biofuel and fuel cell vehicles.

08 / 04 / 2015 at 15: 34 - By Nathalie Mayer, Futura-Sciences
18 comments Post a comment?

Researchers at the Virginia Institute of Technology use the most abundant sugars in plants in general and in corn in particular to produce hydrogen. They reduce the overall cost of producing hydrogen from biomass. © Tomas Moravec
Researchers at the Virginia Institute of Technology use the most abundant sugars in plants in general and in corn in particular to produce hydrogen. They reduce the overall cost of producing hydrogen from biomass. © Tomas Moravec

For the last ten years, Percival Zhang's team has been working on developing alternative and economical hydrogen production techniques. Researchers at the Virginia Institute of Technology (USA) are particularly interested in the actions of enzymes (the catalysts of cells) and their ability to release hydrogen retained in plants. In a recent issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, they unveil a low-cost, high-yield production method that exploits sugars in corn.

Why such an interest in hydrogen when its consumption is only a small percentage of global energy production? First, because with an energy density of 33 kWh per kilogram, it contains for example three times more energy than diesel and even 2,5 times more than natural gas. Moreover, used in a fuel cell, hydrogen, which combines with air to produce electricity, rejects nothing but water. It is therefore an ideal fuel for cars of the future. However, conventional generation technologies are still largely based on fossil fuels (hydrocarbons, natural gas, etc.). They are expensive and release large amounts of CO2. Hence the importance of the work carried out by Percival Zhang's team.

For Percival Zhang, hydrogen will play a major role in the future biofuels market. It could thus fuel the fuel cells of our vehicles. © P. Stroppa, CEA
For Percival Zhang, hydrogen will play a major role in the future biofuels market. It could thus fuel the fuel cells of our vehicles. © P. Stroppa, CEA
Extract hydrogen from corn glucose and xylose

There are already methods of producing hydrogen from biomass but they are usually based on a raw material of refined sugars, which already require an energy expenditure for their production. Researchers at the Virginia Institute of Technology are proposing to exploit biomass waste such as corn stalks or husks (the main grain grown in the United States). What would reduce costs and imagine a model of distributed energy production that would be both closer to the processing plants and consumers.

Based on a computer model, Percival Zhang's team peeled up the possible enzymatic reactions to degrade corn residue sugars with hydrogen and CO2 production. The researchers have discovered a series of reactions that do not exist in nature but are very effective in extracting the hydrogen contained in both corn glucose and xylose. By acting on these two types of sugars simultaneously, they have been able to increase the hydrogen release rate and to triple the volume produced more conventionally.

The Virginia Institute of Technology team has also been able to increase the efficiency of enzymatic reactions by a factor of ten over the best known methods today. A sufficient level to consider hydrogen production in small facilities, "similar to traditional gas stations," say the researchers. Especially since the biological reaction involved does not require the creation of special conditions that would require large technical means. The hydrogen produced can be easily separated from the enzymes in aqueous solution and remains of high quality. What widespread use of fuel cell vehicles, according to US researchers, and dramatically reduce the use of fossil fuels and greenhouse gas emissions.

The team already has the necessary funds to take the next step, that of the realization of an industrial demonstrator.

Source:
http://www.futura-sciences.com/magazine ... ais-57807/
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 11/04/15, 08:03

dirk pitt wrote:I do not see how such low storage capacity (a few kwh) could have an interest other than anecdotal like the switching buffer between two sources or other stuff like that.
but to say that it is a storage solution ....

I would be particularly interested in friction in the bearings ... how long does it take for the goof to stop and eat up its kWh? 3 tons in rotation, it presses "slightly".

Otherwise I am a little skeptical about the use of concrete. Steel is not that expensive, and supports centrifugal forces better.

Concrete does withstand compression, but does not like to be stretched ... unless it is prestressed, and then we fall back into the use of steel.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 11/04/15, 14:58

lolopil wrote:Researchers at the Virginia Institute of Technology use the most abundant sugars in plants in general and in corn in particular to produce hydrogen
Not sure it's a good idea to make energy with what is meant for food.
Remundo wrote:Otherwise I am a little skeptical about the use of concrete. Steel is not that expensive, and supports centrifugal forces better.

Concrete does withstand compression, but does not like to be stretched ... unless it is prestressed, and then we fall back into the use of steel.
We see on the project that the envelope is metal and I guess this problem has been studied seriously. http://www.energiestro.fr/
This system directly at the foot of each group of solar panels seems to me the most realistic, if the bearings are well designed to last. Why not pour the concrete on site to limit the impact of transport.

0 x

Back to "Renewable energy: solar electricity"