Solar Aero Tower: Aerothermal Power Station by Edgar Nazare

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Solar Aero Tower: Aerothermal Power Station by Edgar Nazare

by Ahmed » 11/12/17, 17:45

The Coriolis current affects the displacement of the air masses in a (roughly) horizontal plane (so to speak), but the height will not change anything ... : Shock:
This current results from the difference in the diameter of the globe according to latitudes ...

Edit: for large rainy masses, I agree, but I was only talking about small columns of air, to stay in the orders of magnitude of the subject.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/12/17, 18:01

The height not but a large tower that means a large volume of air captured on its surface. But where does the restricted end or how big do you think? : Cheesy:

The spiral effect sought by Nazare is perhaps simply there to improve the energy conversion at the level of the turbines (and not to oppose Coriolis) ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/12/17, 18:20

But where does the restricted end, where do you think the big one begins? : Cheesy:

It's a good question! I would see that on the scale of several tens of kilometers ...?

The spiral effect sought by Nazare is perhaps simply there to improve energy conversion at the level of turbines (and not to oppose Coriolis) ...

Even assuming an effect at the level of the capture, the influence would be zero at that of the tower. The idea of ​​the vortex is to get an acceleration of the air stream.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/12/17, 18:57

The swirling rain columns are not tens of km wide ... only a few hundred meters ...

The thermal columns that rotate upwards can be even smaller ...

It happened to me to see (on the ground) a "rising tornado" (a mac in spoken pilot) since the ground and which crossed a cloud so strong it was, as it came out of a cloud it was visible.

It spiraled well and was probably no more than a few tens of m wide ... at the maximum, difficult to say but I guess it was more like ten or so m ...

What about tornadoes? They do not exceed tens of m at their base and yet they rotate ...

It rotates counterclockwise seen from above so it corresponds to the depression in the northern hemisphere so it is consistent (check with other tornadoes ...):

If it's not Coriolis, what is the effect of all this then?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/12/17, 20:47

Coriolis probably doesn't explain everything! It would be to check carefully, the direction of rotation of the small vortices ...
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 11/12/17, 20:55

Christophe wrote:
It rotates counterclockwise seen from above so it corresponds to the depression in the northern hemisphere so it is consistent (check with other tornadoes ...):

The Coriolis effect does not affect the direction of rotation of a tornado, the scale of the latter being too small to be affected by it.
However, tornadoes are produced by mesocyclones, which in view of their deployment within large meteorological processes can be affected by this effect, which explains why there will be a statistical sample of tornadoes going more in one direction than in another depending on the hemisphere.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/12/17, 21:08

Like what, tornadoes deceive their world ... : Lol:
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 11/12/17, 21:19

Regarding tornadoes, watch this video, certainly one of the most impressive ever filmed!

0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/12/17, 21:38

This one turns visibly counterclockwise and therefore makes fun of the Coriolis effect ... 8)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/12/17, 00:06

sen-no-sen wrote:Regarding tornadoes, watch this video, certainly one of the most impressive ever filmed!

If you want to include the video directly on the forums, don't put youtube links in the url tag anymore ... just the raw link 8)
0 x