Which is better solar cell, N type or P type?

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
Mientlea
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Which is better solar cell, N type or P type?

by Mientlea » 12/10/23, 09:59

Friends, I have heard about these two types of solar cells. Which is the most cost effective if I want to install solar panels on my house? : Cry: : Cry:
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Which is better solar cell, type N or type P?

by izentrop » 12/10/23, 12:24

Hello,
GPT's response
N-type and P-type solar cells have subtle differences in their manufacturing, but both are commonly used in the photovoltaic industry. N-type cells have slightly higher efficiency than P-type cells, but they are also more expensive¹². However, it is important to note that the choice between the two types depends on the specific needs of the photovoltaic installation. For example, if available surface area is limited, N-type cells may be preferable because they have better low-light performance¹. If radiation resistance is an important factor, P-type cells may be preferable because they have high resistance to radiation and degradation¹. Ultimately, the choice between the two types depends on the specific needs of the photovoltaic installation.

Source: conversation with Bing, 12/10/2023
(1) Type N or type P cells: how to choose - Eco Green Energy. https://www.eco-greenenergy.com/fr/cell ... t-choisir/.
(2) Discussion of Type N and Type P crystalline silicon solar cell. https://www.dsnsolar.com/info/discussio ... 59977.html.
(3) p-type heterojunction solar cells achieve a.... https://www.pv-magazine.fr/2022/11/10/d ... u-gallium/.
(4) Choosing the Best Solar Panel | Guide and Decryption (2023) - Otovo. https://www.otovo.fr/blog/le-solaire-et ... u-solaire/.

This type of cell will be supplanted by heterojunction cells, which are more efficient and cheaper to produce:
The benefits of heterojunction
More economical
With a simpler component design and a reduced number of steps required for their manufacturing and integration, heterojunction cells show promise in achieving the objective of reduced cost production over the entire lifespan of the cell, while keeping the impact on the price of electricity as low as possible.

More ecological
The environmental impact of heterojunction cells is also less thanks to its lower temperature manufacturing process: the heterojunction photovoltaic cell needs to be heated to much lower temperatures than cells with other junctions.

Unlike a homojunction cell which only uses its front side (the one on the Sun side) to create electricity, the heterojunction cell can mobilize both sides. Not only does the light absorbed by the front surface produce electrical energy, but the rear surface captures part of the Sun's rays reflected by the ground. Depending on its reflective power, a gain of approximately 10% to 20% in power is generated by the cell. Bifacial homojunction technologies also exist, but they must sacrifice part of their power on the front face for the contribution of the rear face.

More efficient
The homojunction photovoltaic cell currently achieves an efficiency of 19% for polycrystalline, and 22% for monocrystalline. For a marketed module composed of heterojunction photovoltaic cells, the efficiency begins to reach more than 24% in production and approach 25% in pre-series.
https://www.cea.fr/comprendre/Pages/ene ... iques.aspx
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 12/10/23, 14:05

As for me, I don't understand the question.

In a PV panel, N (with excess electrons) and P (with electron deficit) doped layers coexist.

more explanations here:

0 x
FALCON_12
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by FALCON_12 » 17/02/24, 03:00

Remundo wrote:As for me, I don't understand the question.

In a PV panel, N (with excess electrons) and P (with electron deficit) doped layers coexist.

more explanations here:

Moving an electron (i.e. moving a particle) is different, at least in mobility, from moving a hole (the absence
of one of these particles). Don't ask me why, I haven't found any explanation that I'm capable of
to imagine myself.

What is the mobility of a load?

Under the effect of an electric field E (this is how we modeled things), the particle
undergoes vectorally a force F = -qE Under the effect of this force the particle or the anti-particle (electron
or hole) acquires, within a conductive material M, an average speed proportional to F.

This speed V is worth uF, u depending on the material considered and whether we are talking about a hole or an electron (the average speed of movement of an electron or an electron hole within a conductor is dependent on the number of collisions and rebounds that the atomic structure of the material imposes on it each unit of time).

For example, in silicon (the silicon that photovoltaic panels use), the conduction per hole is 3 times lower than the conduction per electron: in silicon, under the effect of the same electric field E (induced for example by the difference in potential existing between an N-doped zone (more electrons) and a P-doped zone (less electrons)) the holes move three times slower than the electrons.

In other words, in silicon, the conduction in the P-doped zone is three times less than
that of the charges in the N-doped zone: The electrons move 3 times faster than the holes/absence of electrons.

The conduction u having a direct impact on the intensity of the currents since a flow (whether of charges
electricity, liters of water, or cars under a bridge) also depends on the speed of movement of the
things in question, an answer to the question asked may appear.
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 17/02/24, 10:27

Both of you are talking about the functioning of the cell, not its type of manufacture...

Oscaro does it in pictures, it's clearer for everyone https://www.oscaro-power.com/guide/fr_F ... voltaiques
On the other hand, finding the corresponding panels is not easy... the most efficient, not the most expensive

1 x