It heats for solar PV in France, moratorium!

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
Christophe

It heats for solar PV in France, moratorium!

by Christophe » 04/12/10, 17:28

After the coup in late September (read: https://www.econologie.com/forums/rumeurs-su ... t9970.html ), here is another ... worrying fact for the future of PV: the outright cessation for 4 months of all aid for (new) installations of more than 3kWp.

But rather than crying out for scandal, what if it cleans up the supply and demand market, which is currently completely riddled with subsidies?

Edit on 10/12:

And here is the ministerial press release:

Photovoltaic: publication of the decree temporarily suspending the obligation to purchase photovoltaic electricity

Storm warning on the French photovoltaic sector

By Antoine AGASSE (AFP)

PARIS - Government Announces 4-Month Suspension Of Solar Aid sounded like a thunderbolt among the photovoltaic manufacturers who denounced Friday the lack of visibility to invest, after three changes in standards in less than a year.

"An activity put on hold for 4 months, it's unbearable!", Gets angry André Antolini, president of the renewable energies union (SER). "Tell the auto industry not to sell cars for 4 months ..."

"It is villainous, in addition to being absurd", gets carried away for his part Arnaud Mine, president of the group of professionals of solar photovoltaic (SOLER).

The manufacturers and installers of solar panels are standing up against a draft decree which risks jeopardizing an activity taking off.

"Five manufacturers have canceled in disaster this (Friday) morning projects to increase their production," says Yann Maus, president of the French Photovoltaic Industry Association (IPF).

After a meeting with seven ministers on Thursday, the head of government François Fillon has decided on a moratorium on new solar panel projects, excluding those of individuals.

As soon as the decree is published, the initiators of photovoltaic power plant projects will no longer be able to buy their electricity from EDF. And after four months, they will have to file a new redemption request, at a price and under conditions still unknown.

The government intends in this period of time to conduct a concertation to overhaul the entire system of public support for solar energy, which it considers too costly.

"It is a halt to the development of solar energy that has been decided and the conditions for its restart are so far rather imprecise", believes the lawyer specializing in environmental law Arnaud Gossement on his blog.

This "stop" occurs after several successive brakes. The government twice lowered the feed-in tariff for solar electricity in January and September.

The tax credit granted to households for the purchase of solar panels was halved on September 29. And two other tax aids, intended to support SMEs in the sector and overseas photovoltaics, were purely and simply abolished.

"The first criterion for setting up an industry is stability. You cannot change your mind every three months. It's a joke! A sad joke!", Denounces Arnaud Mine.

The power of the photovoltaic park has more than doubled since the end of 2009 and reached 720 megawatts (MW) as of September 30 (+ 137%). And the projects in the queue reached 3.550 MW!

Excitement in the sector represents a major political issue because it threatens to cause the electricity bill to soar. The purchase of photovoltaic electricity by EDF is in fact financed by electricity consumers through the Contribution to the public electricity service (CSPE).

But if industrialists recognize the need to lower purchase prices, they demand more predictability for a sector which employs, according to them, 25.000 people.

Benoît Rolland, managing director of solar panel manufacturer Tenesol, does not hide his concern: "we have gone from 100 million to 300 million euros in turnover in less than three years. For the first time, we will export 50% of our production abroad. What is happening now is very problematic for our 800 French employees ".

Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... 0a0d36.111

Or:

The obligation to purchase electricity from solar sources by EDF will be suspended while conducting a consultation procedure with the entire sector. A decree will be transmitted in the coming hours to the Electricity Regulation Commission (CRE) before being published in the Official Journal.

Written by
Julie Chauveau

The suspense over the future of the photovoltaic sector will last for at least three more months. This Thursday, the interministerial meeting held around the Prime Minister decided to suspend the obligation to purchase electricity from solar origin by EDF while conducting a consultation procedure with the entire sector . A decree will be sent in the coming hours to the Electricity Regulatory Commission (CRE) before being published in the Official Journal thereafter. The suspension will be effective after the publication of the decree.

Individuals who install photovoltaic panels with a power of less than 3 kilowatts are not affected by this decision and may therefore continue to benefit from the feed-in tariff. Likewise for installations on the ground, or on roofs where investors will be able to prove that they have already paid the first deposit in order to buy the equipment.

The government's objective in making such a decision is to cope with the increase in the queue of projects, which amounts to more than 4000 megawatts despite the last two price reduction decisions.

Nathalie Kosciusko Morizet, Minister of Ecology considers that "if the objectives of the Grenelle Environment Forum in terms of volume have been respected and exceeded, the requirements in terms of environment and job creation have not been met".

She would like criteria to be taken into account when negotiating with professionals to take into account the analysis of projects in terms of CO2 emissions and the recyclable nature of photovoltaic panels. The production and transport of a Chinese panel in France represents 1,8 times more CO2 than a panel produced in France and 1,45 times than the same product manufactured in Germany. The negotiation will also have to decide the evolution of the tariffs and to make them evolve in the long term.

JULIE CHAUVEAU

And another article: http://www.zinfos974.com/Le-gouvernemen ... 2.html?com
New stop for the photovoltaic sector in France, solar infrastructure projects of more than 3 kilowatts, which would not have accepted the estimate of connection of ERDF, will no longer be able to benefit from the feed-in tariffs from this source of electricity production.

Indeed the State suspends for a period of three months the obligation of EDF to buy electricity of photovoltaic origin. A decision that was formalized last Thursday after a meeting in Matignon.
Last edited by Christophe the 10 / 12 / 10, 15: 47, 2 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

Re: It heats for solar PV in France, moratorium!

by Christophe » 04/12/10, 18:14

Little note:

AFP wrote:Excitement in the sector represents a major political issue because it threatens to cause the electricity bill to soar. The purchase of photovoltaic electricity by EDF is in fact financed by electricity consumers through the Contribution to the public electricity service (CSPE).

Yes for the CSPE but not for the price increase !!

Talking about prices soaring because of the PV, at present (and for another 20 years!) It's monumental bullshit, it is time that AFP journalists (re) learn to count, estimate orders of greatness and re-learn to make analyzes rather than making the peroquets of some press services !! : Evil: : Evil: : Evil:

All the explanations and orders of magnitude are here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/augmentati ... 10076.html
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 04/12/10, 19:12

all that hardly surprises me ...

All the poison of the Charpin report has been spreading since the end of August, slowly but surely.
The SER is standing up against the draft decree on photovoltaics

"This draft decree immersed the profession in a very great emotion". André Antolini, president of the renewable energy union (SER) did not mince his words the day after the inter-ministerial meeting on public support for solar energy. According to him, there were many other ways to manage the queue, including the establishment of a completion bond system which would have filtered the projects to keep only the most reliable technically and financially. In addition, the SER-Bipe study which has just been finalized shows that the natural mortality of projects in the queue would have led to a "naturally high" fall rate, around 75 to 80%. There is therefore no point in suspending the purchase obligation, which will impact all projects, both bad and good.

In addition, the text (see the draft decree), "clearly retroactive" for the SER, imposes a period of 18 months between the date of payment to the network operator of a first deposit for its connection and the implementation installation service. “This deadline is not sustainable and adds a layer of difficulty even for those who have had their technical and financial proposal (PTF) and have paid their first deposit! », Carried away Mr. Antolini. It is also difficult for industrialists to put their activity on hold during the 4 months of suspension of this buy-back obligation provided for in the draft decree.

"Absurd and villainous"
"This new text is absurd and rascal vis-à-vis our companies," says Arnaud Mine, of SER Soler. This change of rules a posteriori, on the pretext that there is overheating and that less serious companies have entered this market will cause business failures for sure. Besides, this supposed queue for connections of 4 giga watt is pure fantasy; it is, at best, 1,5 giga watt. "

Yvon André, Deputy Managing Director EDF Energies nouvelles, for its part, wanted to emphasize that if its company had "a significant share in the current queue", it did not exceed 15 to 20% of the files, "the equivalent of EDF EN's market share in photovoltaics".
In general, RES officials point to the jolts that the young industry regularly experiences: first drop in prices in September, drop in the tax credit, exclusion of certain provisions of the TEPA law, measures on the Other -sea...

So many uncertainties that make it very complicated to structure a sector that has yet created, according to the SER, 25000 jobs in 3 years, and generated in 2010 "between 5 and 10 billion euros in turnover. " Not to mention the fact that investors and funders do not appreciate this "stop and go" system ...

Meeting Thursday December 9

The president of the SER intends to present as early as Thursday, December 9, at the meeting of the Higher Energy Council, amendments to this draft decree. “We will then propose a quick meeting with the protagonists to propose new measures with regard to controlling the cost and the level of activity. In particular, we would like to no longer reflect on the basis of this 500 MW target, but on the basis of an amount. If, with the same allocated sum, one can exceed this ceiling, why deprive yourself of it? Let's give an overall cost envelope and adjust the prices according to consumption. "

Source The Monitor

The SER's reaction is desperate because the French PV sector is already experiencing a very marked decline which will worsen significantly.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/12/10, 19:21

Well yes but good on the other hand, all this was "predictable" ... it's been some time that we say about these forums: too much subsidy kills the market pity! I will not recite the 3 or 4 subjects in question ... the interested party will type "solar PV scam" here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/search.php

There given the facts, I still give 6 months to 1 year max to photovoltaics for individuals in France ... :?
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 04/12/10, 19:27

Oh you know Christophe, the latest prices for large roof installations are not amazing ...

I say that 40 ct € to 50 ct € / kWh for clean and renewable energy, giving future production capacities in total independence of uranium or oil, it is a good deal.

That we encrypt also the costs of global warming and nuclear waste and we will talk about the real price of hydrocarbons or nuclear ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/12/10, 19:41

Remundo wrote:That we encrypt also the costs of global warming and nuclear waste and we will talk about the real price of hydrocarbons or nuclear ...

Yes, that's the whole problem of the problem of the so-called non-profitability of green energy without subsidy: we don't know how to count correctly and globally ... :?

But you don't even know you need to look for a hypothetical cost of global warming: what is the price of a human life mown down by an oil or gas war? No one (except insurers) knows how to put a price on life ... so ...

Regarding the cost of warming,
it had been estimated a few years ago at $ 5500 billion by the Stern Review (in my opinion it must be "a bit" revised upwards given the current events) ... but this blow even corrected, remains ridiculous compared to the 40 000 Billion $ EXCLUDING TAX PROVEN reserve of oil which remains (I really insist on the HT and proven terms because that means that in reality it is 5 to 20 times more ... "at least")...

In addition to that, the cost of warming, well, it's not heavy ...

Not to mention that there will be, and deny it would be false, economic GAINS THANKS to global warming : exploitation of the northwest passage and of the artic (and antartic) oil, the permafrost, the tundra and sibery ... etc etc ...

https://www.econologie.com/forums/historique ... t2717.html
https://www.econologie.com/forums/texte-inte ... t2706.html
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/12/10, 22:29

Christophe, your promptness to "applaud" any removal of subsidy saddens me. I will not resume here my developments made elsewhere on a "degressive" subsidy aimed at "launching a sector" (necessarily, not profitable at the start) ... This has nothing to do with a "life-long infusion". Definitely, must have a very shitty economics teacher at INSA !!! (or no economics teacher at all?).

What is clear:

1) The success of the measures which had been taken (tax credit for individuals, various guaranteed prices for all) exceeds the objectives. And that bothers "classic" operators.

2) You defended it very well and explained: the increase in CSPE is not due to PV!

However, apart from the tax credit, the additional cost of PV is paid by users via this CSPE. There is no "financial" reason to put the brakes on it.

So once again, I am delighted with the subsidized PV, because it is never only an indirect tax on electric energy, "abnormally" cheap in France because of nuclear power (and costs not currently covered) . So I dream of a subsidized PV which really begins to seal the CSPE. This is the only way to make the electric energy savers "profitable" and to put heat pumps in the closet!

3) You also know, we are still very far from a level of production that would destabilize the network (due to the random nature of the PV and its inability to cover peaks in the evening).

So, for me, it is indeed a political decision, contrary to the "principles" of the Grenelle or Kyoto (but not to the quantitative commitments of the Grenelle, which are already exceeded).

The subsidy only plays a marginal role (since it is essentially the CSPE) in the overall electricity accounts. Because it's "peanuts" ...

I agree that there are some very criticizable induced effects: market domination by Chinese panels, with significant gray energy, an eproduction that is suspected to be extremely polluting, mediocre yields; deficit in the trade balance, etc.

There yes, there's a catch.

But besides that, we will still, in France, fall behind compared to our partners. We are already ridiculous. We will be a little more ...

I am not sure that a moratorium will help the few French companies that have launched. This will strangle them financial. And the Chinese, who are global, will be a little stronger at the end of the moratorium ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 04/12/10, 22:49

I greatly agree with Did67's analysis.

just a note: the PV is not random nationwide. With the weather stations and a census of the production sites, we can quickly have a good estimate of the PV injection 24 hours in advance via a relatively simple mathematical model (a geographic sum of the installed kWp weighted by the expected radiation)

This is already done for wind power ... PV does not pose serious problems for RTE contrary to what is said.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/12/10, 23:05

Remundo wrote:
the PV is not random at the national level.

The term is perhaps poorly chosen: I mean not controllable (even if "predictable" at 2 days). You will never be able to cover the 20pm peak in winter !!!

I forgot to say that I think we have to analyze what is going on overall:

a) announcements of further price increases in 2011 (from 11 to 12%). After those of this year, the modification of subscriptions to "penalize" low consumers ...

b) GDF-Suez's attempts to enter the nuclear market in France and to have its new generation EPR; it is therefore necessary to generate considerable profits to maintain stock levels ...

c) EdF indebted to the core; some bad acquisitions abroad; therefore fragile vis-à-vis its main competitor

d) agitation of new operators to obtain real market opening ...

In this backdrop, the PV serves as an appetizer or smoke screen ...

So for me, the question of the PV subsidy or not, and even its level, it's just an "epiphénmomene"!

Anyone who wants something to change - consumer behavior - must help ensure that politicians go to bed in front of EdF and GDF-SUez and their profits / CAC 40 index / profitability of sactions. It is therefore necessary to be consistent and we defend PV - and other electricity from renewable sources - (even if the subsidy has some perverse effects, men being men, therefore "subsidy suckers").
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/12/10, 23:11

1) Uh, don't be sorry, I didn't applaud, I asked a question ... which I think is legitimate ...

2) I developed in my previous post and while responding to Remundo, that the indirect costs of fossil fuels were not taken into account.

3) The problem, and you will agree with me, is that grants that go to PV are grants that don't go elsewhere: 1 € invests or subsidizes in insulation rather than in photovoltaics yields 6 times more CO2 savings and 57 times more primary energy savings ...

See details here: https://www.econologie.com/comparatif-en ... -3858.html

Figures for the Walonnie from a few years ago:

I do not wish to repeat this Nth debate, what I know is thatin Belgium, since a premium was removed at the end of 2009 ... the offers of solar pros and "excluding premium" have roughly reduced the value of this premium.

In other contexts, we would speak of collusion ... sorry i don't see any other words ...
Last edited by Christophe the 04 / 12 / 10, 23: 14, 1 edited once.
0 x