Direct parallel connection of 2 EAST and WEST PV solar strings with (very) different panels and voltages?

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
Christophe

Direct parallel connection of 2 EAST and WEST PV solar strings with (very) different panels and voltages?

by Christophe » 22/11/21, 13:21

Is it possible to parallel 2 solar PV strings with different voltages in direct connection? That is to say 2 strings made with photovoltaic panels of very different voltage and power?

Indeed, there are MC4 parallel connectors so a priori it is very easy to put 2 stings in //:

mc4-male-branch-connectors.png
connectors-de-derivation-mc4-males.png (125.21 KiB) Viewed 14240 times

The panels are dioded, so normally there is no return of current in the weakest string ... but I still ask myself the question: what happens when a string let's say made for nominal 150V receives 300V at its terminals?

And when these 2 strings produce "a little" (around noon for example) with these 150V voltage difference? : Shock: : Shock: : Shock: What would happen? According to the basic laws of electricity, the weaker string will not produce anything at all ... Is that it?

It is as if we put 2 batteries including 1 used in //: all the current would be supplied by the strongest but the overall voltage would be lowered by the weakest. In the end, the strong battery alone would work better ...

We can see a lot of houses without roofs in the south with 2 strings 1 east and 1 west ... so if direct paralleling is not possible, you therefore need 2 inverters so 2 completely independent circuits?

That's it ? So the MC4 parallel connector is only used for the same orientation / same string of the same panels? But even in this configuration, it is possible to have solar masks on one thong and not on the other ... and therefore the same concerns of restraining the production of the strong thong would arise ...

In short, it's not very clear ... if someone who has more PV experience than me could explain to us? 8)
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Direct parallel connection of 2 EAST and WEST PV solar strings with (very) different panels and voltages

by Macro » 22/11/21, 13:57

2 parallel thongs exposed to the sun ...

They don't stay parallel for long : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
447b75fecc5f219d144d87b5423a148d.jpg
447b75fecc5f219d144d87b5423a148d.jpg (58 KB) Viewed 14216 times
1 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

Re: Direct parallel connection of 2 EAST and WEST PV solar strings with (very) different panels and voltages

by Christophe » 22/11/21, 14:03

Macro you are an ignoble pignoleur !! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 22/11/21, 14:06

You are right : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/11/21, 12:18

So I still don't have my answer ...

Remundo can be ?? You who have PV for 10 years?
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 23/11/21, 12:38

I put a micro inverter not panels.

The next panel is not disturbed by the other one which could be in the shade.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/11/21, 12:39

Okay I know the principle ... but that does not answer the question.

And micro inverters ... expensive and source of N failures do not interest me too econologically speaking ...

ps: I reviewed the doc about the so-called micro inverter and these are NOT micro inverters these are panel SHUNTs which deflects the passage of the current in a shaded panel ...

At least that's what I found I don't know what you got ...
0 x
jean.caissepas
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by jean.caissepas » 23/11/21, 14:39

Christophe wrote:Is it possible to parallel 2 solar PV strings with different voltages in direct connection? That is to say 2 strings made with photovoltaic panels of very different voltage and power?

The ideal is to have double-sided panels that are mounted vertically with the edge facing south. The panel itself manages the voltage differences.

https://www.entraid.com/articles/clotur ... -verticaux
0 x
Past habits must change,
because the future must not die.
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/11/21, 15:58

Ok but that still doesn't answer the original question ...

And the double faces are not intended to be mounted on the roof ... and for good reason!
0 x
NCSH
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by NCSH » 23/11/21, 16:52

Christophe wrote:Ok but that still doesn't answer the original question ...

And the double faces are not intended to be mounted on the roof ... and for good reason!

Quite simply, you need an inverter with 2 inputs, which is difficult to find for small powers. I am not familiar with this subject.
0 x
To discover the parallel universe of non-fossil carbon energy carriers, take the time to browse (15 min) the website NCSH : http://www.ncsh.eu/language/fr/energie-et-matiere/