Photovoltaic test bench for mirror reflection or solar concentration to optimize electricity production

Forum solar photovoltaic PV and solar electricity generation from direct radiation solar energy.
Christophe

Photovoltaic test bench for mirror reflection or solar concentration to optimize electricity production

by Christophe » 23/11/21, 13:11

I have just assembled this "small" photovoltaic string of flexible PV panels of 7 * 100Wp unit ...

string_pv_souple.jpg

I would like to use it to do concentration / solar reflection tests to see to what extent we can boost production, especially in winter ...

The panels are flexible, I can possibly bend them (a little).

Who has an idea of ​​how to make a mirror "optimizer" of fixed radiation (I want no electronics in it ... in a pinch a weekly adjustment ... but no more ...) with as much reflective surface as possible and the least cost (I have ideas but I'm waiting for yours to start ...)

I did some tests with the mirror of my ulog oven Solar-thermal / solar-oven cooker-ulog-build-and-performance-t10753.html but on 1 to 2 panels there is nothing really measurable ...

Flat ? Parabolic? Hyperbolic? And what dimensions in relation to the panels?

I recall the specifications which are simple:

a) The most powerful / largest
b) The cheapest (and therefore sustainable a minimum)

To your copies! : Mrgreen:
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Photovoltaic test bench for mirror reflection or solar concentration to optimize electrical production

by Macro » 23/11/21, 13:21

I saw on a camp of "nomads" (but fried nomads) a system of foldable panels, mounted on a trailer which followed the sun during the day ...

But with mirrors ... To get to concentrate this in one point ... You will need a parabola on the ground and climb your panels at the top of a mast ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Photovoltaic test bench for mirror reflection or solar concentration to optimize electrical production

by sicetaitsimple » 23/11/21, 13:46

Christophe wrote:
Who has an idea of ​​how to make a mirror "optimizer" of fixed radiation (I want no electronics in it ... in a pinch a weekly adjustment ... but no more ...) with as much reflective surface as possible and the least cost (I have ideas but I'm waiting for yours to start ...)

Uh, I give my tongue to the cat for an "optimizing mirror" ... On the other hand, a layer of very white limestone gravel in front of your panels, it can certainly go in the right direction (you said without electronics, I don't care. stick to the specifications!).
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/11/21, 16:03

Macro wrote:I saw on a camp of "nomads" (but fried nomads) a system of foldable panels, mounted on a trailer which followed the sun during the day ...

But with mirrors ... To get to concentrate this in one point ... You will need a parabola on the ground and climb your panels at the top of a mast ...

A parabola (circular) has only one focal point, this is not what is needed in this case, it is necessary to project 2 or 3 suns * (in winter) on the overall surface of the panels ... to have an equivalent of a summer sun ...

It reminds me of the subject of Flytox's "double south" houses (old but I have a good memory ...): heating-insulation / house-double-southeast t7157.html

* coef. to refine ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/11/21, 16:08

sicetaitsimple wrote:On the other hand, a layer of very white limestone gravel in front of your panels, that can certainly go in the right direction (you said without electronics, I stick to the specifications!).

Not stupid, certainly enough to gain 10% (?), But irrelevant for this test ... (the string is mobile and the gravel is heavy ...) on the other hand stainless steel or aluminum sheets are possible but it costs an arm (and a kidney) ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/11/21, 16:11

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:https://www.ecohabitation.com/guides/3232/un-miroir-peut-il-augmenter-la-performance-des-panneaux-solaires-pv/

Interesting but false:

The model was tested in real conditions in Kingston, Ontario, which produced impressive results: the efficiency was increased by 45% in the case of badly inclined panels, by 18% in the case of perfectly inclined panels. According to Pearce, performance should go up to 30% with better reflectors.

Because I suppose that we are talking about an improvement of a standardized radiation of 1000W / m2 ...

A well-designed mirror can therefore increase much more than 30% in mid seasons and in winter ... where solar radiation is very weak and this is precisely where current is needed ... for example to make turn a swimming pool heat pump mounted on an old DHW tank : Mrgreen:

Well, there is more to read the study: https://www.academia.edu/16836963/Photo ... ides/3232/

It is necessary to register they piss off ... a "mirror" would be the least of things !!!
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 23/11/21, 21:53

You also have double-sided panels, 2% more expensive, but by "putting white" on the ground, we increase production.
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
jean.caissepas
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by jean.caissepas » 24/11/21, 00:23

phil59 wrote:You also have double-sided panels, 2% more expensive, but by "putting white" on the ground, we increase production.

This is especially valid in solar pergola, if you have a terrace with white or very light ground.
In this case, we can expect up to + 30% production.

Otherwise, you have to use a crystal ball : Mrgreen: :

link: https://www.out-the-box.fr/innovation-b ... rpuissant/
0 x
Past habits must change,
because the future must not die.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 24/11/21, 00:55

Christophe wrote:Well, there is more to read the study: https://www.academia.edu/16836963/Photo ... ides / 3232 /
It is necessary to register they piss off ... a "mirror" would be the least of things !!!
It is found elsewhere https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... d_Modeling

I understand that it did not work: a reflector larger than the cup-shaped panel ... I'm not telling you the daily cleaning of the leaves at the moment, the additional hold on the ground.
We see that in winter the "V" should be directed in an impractical way, except perhaps at the equator, but with overheating which would cancel out the gain. 8) :frown:

reflector.gif
reflecteur.gif (95.95 KiB) Viewed 8460 times
1 x

Back to "Renewable energy: solar electricity"