Pumpipumpe: stickers to lend objects!

philosophical debates and companies.
Christophe

Pumpipumpe: stickers to lend objects!

View Christophe » 02/09/14, 20:12

A great citizens' initiative against the consumer society (do the math: whoever uses his drill continuously for more than 1 hour per year is already quite a do-it-yourselfer!)

In Switzerland, stickers on the mailbox indicate the objects that we want to lend

"We started from the observation that there is often a certain embarrassment in the city to dare to ring at your neighbors when you ask for their help," explains Sabine Hirsig. She is one of the four young creators behind the Pumpipumpe project (pronounced “poumpipoumpé”) born in Bern in Switzerland. The principle is simple: this initiative invites you to stick stickers on your mailbox indicating the objects you want to lend to your neighbors. These can be DIY tools (a drill, a saw, etc.) or gardening tools (a lawn mower, etc.), kitchen utensils, books, WiFi access, etc. A sticker exists for each object. These stickers can be ordered free of charge from Switzerland and Germany via the website www.pumpipumpe.ch. It costs 4 euros per shipment for other countries.

The name of the Pumpipumpe project comes from the Alemannic dialect and can be translated as "lend me your bike pump". It serves both ecological and economic objectives, making it possible to avoid having to buy objects that are used little. In addition, this sharing between neighbors makes it possible to meet and recreate links. Pumpipumpe is supported by several institutions, such as the environmental protection office of the City of Bern.

http://www.laposte.fr/lehub/En-Suisse-d ... ers-sur-la

http://www.springwise.com/neighborhood- ... ems-share/
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

View nonoLeRobot » 02/09/14, 23:48

I love the concept, I ordered some, I don't know how the neighbors will react, if they will react.

I stick them tomorrow
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View Ahmed » 03/09/14, 12:09

This initiative, beautiful moreover, only underlines the state of extreme impoverishment of human relations in a system where the commercial relationship is prevalent ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

View Christophe » 03/09/14, 13:01

Absolutely: the "richer" a society, the more individualistic it is!

In short, economic wealth comes at the expense of "human" and social wealth!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View Ahmed » 03/09/14, 14:05

Wouldn't it be better to write:
"In our society, the particular form which the notion of" wealth "assumes for its realization, the development of individualism"?
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

View nonoLeRobot » 03/09/14, 14:18

And There you go:

0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View chatelot16 » 04/09/14, 12:33

the one who has a drill which he uses 1 hour per year does he have a drill strong enough to be loanable?

there are 220V 500W drills at 8,5euro, with electronic variter and percussion ... Chinese quality ... more than enough for occasional use, and even hard enough ... I have one of this kind to work on site or there is a big risk of breakage or loss

but it is useless to lend this kind of material it will be too quickly dead if someone uses it as harshly as a more solid model

the same goes for most DIY tools: good for the usual user who knows how to take precautions: impossible to lend to anyone

I see a lot of people unable to see where the power limit of any machine is ... if this kind of person asks me to lend him a drill, I answer him rather, I will come and drill the holes what you need

ditto to lend a vacuum cleaner: I see how many people unable to see when a bag or filter begins to be clogged: they use the vacuum cleaner until it only serves as brooms: motor that overheats with a flow completely zero
0 x
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

View nonoLeRobot » 04/09/14, 14:42

Yes but precisely the idea is to manage to buy and make profitable durable equipment and hopefully manufactured in fairly good conditions rather than buying disposable made by children (even if expensive does not prove the opposite) .

Like we consume less but better.

We borrow what we use little and we oversize, we take better quality, which we use more often which improves comfort in use and allows us to lend it. It also often has the advantage of being more easily repairable.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View chatelot16 » 04/09/14, 19:20

lending means free ... if it is not free it is no longer lending but renting

lending for free cannot make a good machine profitable ... lending your good machine will not guarantee that you can borrow another machine that you don't have when you need it

lending is neighborly relations, which do not go through labels on the mailbox ... I often lend things, but I do not lend anything to anyone .. someone brings me a small 500W grinder out of order, and so as not to break my head to fix it quickly I lend him another one, without asking me a lot of questions ... I buy them for less than 10euro promotion days

I happened to lend computers, because I have several to try all kinds of things, and that it can help other people, but also it is not for anyone ... I will not want to put a label on my mailbox to attract anyone ... when I lend an almost new computer it's to someone I trust, not anyone who would have seen a label on the letter box
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

View Ahmed » 04/09/14, 20:50

It is true that the generalization of the loan is very delicate because it supposes that the borrower is respectful of the implicit terms of the contract and that he has the knowledge required by the use of the loaned material.
For my part, I use it willingly (in both directions, of course) because the number of devices needed at one time or another is impressive.

I avoid borrowing tools that are too obviously "low cost" because it is embarrassing to have to spend more time doing improbable repairs than the work initially planned.

I am lucky to have a neighbor who buys all kinds of tools which he does not use very much and as he does not always know how to adjust or sharpen (or even, sometimes, use it!), I put it all in order...

PS: Like Chatelot, for some very technical or dangerous devices, I prefer to go make things than lend.
0 x

Back to "Society and Philosophy"