Where to find small magnets or how to magnetize parts?

Help and advice for all work carried out in self building and presentation of your work DIY or self-build. Because making oneself is often econological but beware overconfidence!
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Where to find small magnets or how to magnetize parts?

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 08/01/21, 16:09

Christophe wrote:Thank you but you do not meet the initial specifications!

I needed 2 or 3 magnets ... I didn't want to buy dozens!

What are you doing with so many magnets?

When I buy 100, I give it to friends. Otherwise, it is very useful for DIY. The applications are so varied that I don't know what to say. It goes from the recovery of screws, bolts, nuts fallen "somewhere" and inaccessible, through the fixing of various removable elements, to the decoration of the fridge ... etc, etc ...
Fridge.jpg
Frigo.jpg (221.28 KiB) Viewed 2463 times
1 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 08/01/21, 16:53

In this regard, an easily achievable tool for recovering and collecting ferromagnetic debris easily and depositing them in their place, by simply moving back the handle (the bar which carries the magnets).

The magnets move back into the slide with the debris which is stopped by the outer shield and then falls into a container.
I had started in series with smaller and more aesthetic ones for seamstresses, but this quick thing is quite enough
magnet bar and slide separate.jpg
magnet bar and slide separated.jpg (165.36 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Gathering of Iron Debris.jpg
Gathering of Iron Debris.jpg (143.95 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
1 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 08/01/21, 21:18

I picked up several very powerful small round magnets from a pool accessories store (they gave them to me): some pool alarms turn on and off with these little magnets with keyring ring and some stores keep those magnets when they change an alarm to troubleshoot customers (or someone who asks!).

Otherwise when I need some really strong little magnets, I go to a computer store and ask if they can give me the old HS hard drives. Usually they give them without problem; one day I also recovered a box full of HS hard drives.
All the magnets were different in shape and size: dishes in the shape of a small crescent.
On the other hand, disassembling them and taking off the magnets is sometimes not easy!
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 08/01/21, 22:23

Grelinette wrote:On the other hand, disassembling them and taking off the magnets is sometimes not easy!

It is better to cut the part around the magnet without trying to peel it off, otherwise it will break. Afterwards, I have not tried to do it (if however they are stuck) with a hair dryer, but it is worth trying.
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 08/01/21, 22:45

No, with a big cutter it comes off if it is stuck (like cyanoacrylate) Sometimes the protective coating peels off. And dragging.

Above all, you have to spend a lot of time there.
A screwdriver for prying. a curved "telephone" clamp is practical and especially fine "Torx / stars" keys on handle. Because disassemble all this with bent Torx keys, hello the wrist, and the carpal nerve ... Or bits on a small screwdriver.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 09/01/21, 12:44

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:
Grelinette wrote:On the other hand, disassembling them and taking off the magnets is sometimes not easy!

It is better to cut the part around the magnet without trying to peel it off, otherwise it will break. Afterwards, I have not tried to do it (if however they are stuck) with a hair dryer, but it is worth trying.

Just heat up enough and it peels off easily.
1 x
reinoso
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by reinoso » 09/01/21, 14:05

phil53 wrote:Just heat up enough and it peels off easily.

and what becomes of the magnetization ??
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 09/01/21, 14:53

reinoso wrote:
phil53 wrote:Just heat up enough and it peels off easily.

and what becomes of the magnetization ??

https://www.supermagnete.fr/faq/Quelle- ... -supporter
1 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 09/01/21, 17:42

Christophe wrote:Alternative: I have 4 fairly powerful neodymium magnets (but too big for what I want to do with them) but I cannot magnetize a metal part with ... I tried with zinc-plated washers and after several hours , there is no magnetization ...

My magnetism lessons are distant ... any advice?

Thank you

To magnetize a "scrap" one does not need mild steel (galvanized washer), with too little carbon and too few alloying elements. Low alloy steels (<5%), on the contrary, are generally much more persistent. The "yield" by sticking on another magnet is not famous (but you may not want to make yourself a magnetizer *) .... and the orientation of the field will not necessarily be in the right direction. The contact time does not do much, it "takes" (or does not take : Mrgreen: ) in a fraction of a second.

(* noted: by rereading ... no rudeness here! : Mrgreen: )
1 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 09/01/21, 18:40

Flytox wrote:
Christophe wrote:Alternative: I have 4 fairly powerful neodymium magnets (but too big for what I want to do with them) but I cannot magnetize a metal part with ... I tried with zinc-plated washers and after several hours , there is no magnetization ...

My magnetism lessons are distant ... any advice?

Thank you

To magnetize a "scrap" one does not need mild steel (galvanized washer), with too little carbon and too few alloying elements. Low alloy steels (<5%), on the contrary, are generally much more persistent. The "yield" by sticking on another magnet is not famous (but you may not want to make yourself a magnetizer *) .... and the orientation of the field will not necessarily be in the right direction. The contact time does not do much, it "takes" (or does not take : Mrgreen: ) in a fraction of a second.

(* noted: by rereading ... no rudeness here! : Mrgreen: )

https://fr.wikihow.com/magn%C3%A9tiser-le-m%C3%A9tal
0 x

Back to "DIY and self-construction: building or mount a self-installation"