Tool for making fire starters

Help and advice for all work carried out in self building and presentation of your work DIY or self-build. Because making oneself is often econological but beware overconfidence!
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Tool for making fire starters

by Ahmed » 27/04/17, 20:49

In the vein of the reuse of thrown things, here is a small tool intended to quickly, easily and safely make a fire starter.
I specify that the idea comes from an internet video and that my modest contribution consists in the assembly of materials recovered and stored for a little while, while waiting to have all that is necessary on hand.
The principle is to replace the classic hatchet which passes not far from the fingers and therefore, on the one hand potentially dangerous and on the other hand not very precise, a device reversing this arrangement and allowing precise, rapid positioning of the board on the iron and hit the board with a hammer or mallet. A protection will be installed (horizontal ring placed above the blade) to avoid injury from hitting the blade, but for that, I need to heat the forge to shape the ring

On the third photo, these are the building blocks: a small bottle of butane, degassed in the rules, an old ax iron cut to keep the end, an 18 mm round iron coming from an old exterior door and a disc which is a drop from the cutting of a circular hole (plasma).

On the second, the disc previously welded to the foot of the round serves as a support piece and rests on the ground: the round crosses the entire bottle to come out through the orifice of the ex tap; the whole is carefully welded (electrode); two pending pieces were cut from an old hinge.

On the first, the two flat irons are welded. Their role is to serve as spacers: once the piece of wood notched by the narrow blade, it is not always completely split, but when it reaches the spacers, separation occurs.

A first test was very satisfactory: quick work and very precise positioning without special care; remains to finish the tool by installing the protection, but, as the poet says (René Char): "the unfinished buzzes with the essential"! 8)
Attachments
IMG0016A.jpg
IMG0015A.jpg
IMG0014A.jpg
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Tool for making firelighters

by Ahmed » 28/04/17, 21:36

This afternoon, forge session!
Here is the result:
IMG0017A.jpg

Of course, with a rolling machine the result would have been faster, but it works anyway: all you need is a good size (here, a hose) and gradually wind up with griffin * ...
Pay attention to the positioning of the vertical supports in order to provide the maximum clearance in the plane perpendicular to the blade so that the pieces of wood can be evacuated easily.
Note that this 13 mm round iron (an exotic diameter ...) is also pure recovery, you have to stay connected with the whole! : Wink: , in the "backyard craps" spirit ... 8)

* The griffin is a blacksmith's tool that roughly resembles a large open-end wrench whose end is perpendicular to the lever arm: by applying a twist between a jig and the rod or metal plate, the workpiece is forced to follow the outline of the template (the griffin can also be used "in the air"). The advantage over the hammer is that it is easier and does not leave marks on the metal. It is also used when you want to work with an O / A torch "by following" (by heating and bending the part gradually) ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 28/04/17, 22:54

Hello,
Well done ! you are an excellent welder Ahmed.
Only I have no idea how it works :frown:
Is there a commercial equivalence, to put me in the way? :)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/04/17, 09:39

Excellent, probably not in this achievement, but if you mean that it's solid, then I confirm! : Wink:
I explained the operation a bit in my first message:
The principle is to replace the classic hatchet which passes not far from the fingers and therefore, on the one hand potentially dangerous and on the other hand not very precise, a device reversing this arrangement and allowing precise, rapid positioning of the board on the iron and hit the board with a hammer or mallet.

I did some research and with the keywords "kindling crackers"we fall directly on the site which promotes this tool which, he specifies, was designed at 13 years by Ayla Hutchinson, a young New Zealander whose mother was injured by splitting her little wood with a hatchet ...
On this page you will see a demonstration of the simplicity and efficiency of the process. This commercial model is made of a block, made of cast steel.

I had only rather vague, as old, memories of this small device, otherwise I would no doubt have placed the blade a little lower in relation to the upper circle; it is probably possible to simplify my tool a little, since its construction is oversized ...
I plan to make another one to offer; if I can't find a hatchet iron *, I would take a piece of spring from an agricultural machine spring and weld it (across the width) on a flat iron, then I will forge the end to form a cutting edge which will then be subjected to quenching and tempering (even if it is a bit rough, in ignorance of the exact steel grade, the requirements are low in this application) ...

* This is obviously the simplest option, but forging is magic! 8)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 29/04/17, 13:19

I did not understand that it was to make small wood to light a wood stove.

In fact, I don't need it, I collect small branches> 4 cm in diameter. I crush the rest with my garden shredder.
And since I have a small electric log splitter, I can do it without risk to my hands.

He works without gloves, it's risky : Shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro2wMb7zJ60
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 29/04/17, 14:23

I have this kind of machine, but without the spider. I have a good welder friend in case I needed it;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=636nhdFWjq0
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/04/17, 18:09

I did not understand that it was to make small wood to light a wood stove.

Yes, the term fire lighter designates several things, it is less precise than the English term, it should have said "kindling", but it was longer ...

The cross corner (cross) is not very useful, since it is only optimal on a precise diameter * and for straight logs, which requires a preliminary sorting and thus largely loses the time it saves then...

* This remark only concerns fixed cross-shaped corners, since there are horizontal blades that can be adjusted quickly in height on more professional splitters.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 29/04/17, 20:02

It's nice as an achievement Ahmed! 8)

In the same spirit, and to go further, for the safety of the hand holding the piece of wood .... the collision with the mallet / hammer is a little better than the ax but ......
You could also imagine completing this tool with a sort of conical centering device to guide the piece of wood towards the cutting edge and a "clamp" which quickly clamps / maintains the piece of wood in position, just to free the 2 hands from the area of job.
Yaka find the compromise efficiency speed simplicity : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/04/17, 20:17

I have already filled a few crates of small wood in order to test the machine and at no time have I observed any significant danger, because the hand holding the board or the log is below the upper end of the impacted location. I use a cylindrical mallet, quite large, of traditional manufacture and it would be difficult to miss the target if we consider that no precision is required and that on the other hand, once the first blow given, often the board plugs into the blade and is thus retained until a second, more vigorous blow completes its separation ...
One could imagine, thanks to a larger gap between the protective ring and the blade, holding the piece of wood in this space, but that would be exposing oneself to the projection of the splitting products ...
It seems delicate to me to hope to find a centering and holding device adapting to the very diverse forms of logs, especially since, for the previous reasons, I doubt that it will be useful ...
0 x
yves35
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by yves35 » 30/04/17, 04:21

Hello,

the little wood for the lazy (personal method that works well for me)
I plan with a tire and the merlin which allows to go quite far (end)
knots without knots (still in the tire), I put the edge of the hatchet on it, I hit with a small mallet (about 1 kg)
drawback: in the long run, the flat part of the hatchet is marked by the mallet

yves
0 x
ignored: obamot, janic, guygadebois... air, air. We are not (yet) on Qanon Ben, if in fact