RoW software, materials resistance, simple and free

Present your DIY projects, your new technical ideas, your innovations to test or your self-construction work. Because doing it yourself is often more economical and can be more efficient.
Christophe

RoW software, materials resistance, simple and free

by Christophe » 03/11/09, 14:20

Everything is in the title: does kk1 know a simple and free 2D RdM software for example to calculate the resistance of a wooden gantry knowing the essence of the wood and the sections?
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 03/11/09, 15:14

structurix by Yannick Callaud

Edit by Christophe: thank you, download here https://www.econologie.com/telechargeme ... ntraintes/
1 x
Click my signature
Remundo

by Remundo » 03/11/09, 16:20

Hi friends,

Wood is a material anisotropic because of its fibers.

Does Structurix take this into account?

Most RdM software, especially the "simple" ones can only do isotropic.

At the time, I had bypassed the problem a little by making linear combinations of plane studies in orthogonal planes, each plane having its Young's modulus.

Sorry if i don't speak french : Cheesy:
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 03/11/09, 17:28

stop "stuffing" flies. all
anisotropic yourself : Cheesy: in all honor

you would not be a teacher: remundo ??

do you think carpenters only a few decades ago had software ?? and which took into account the anisotropy ??
0 x

Click my signature
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/11/09, 18:30

Remundo wrote:Hi friends,

Wood is a material anisotropic because of its fibers.

Does Structurix take this into account?

Encu *** of flies spoted! +1 Dirk! (if he is a teacher!)

1) Hey Raymond, no tree, or even beams of the same tree, have exactly the same fibers and the same resistance therefore ... (young, fish ...) and I'm not even talking about variations in climatic constraints and aging which influence the properties of wood!

That's why we take crazy safety coefs with wood!

2) I would not quibble but a beam "not doubly symmetic" (ie not square) also has an anisotropic behavior, this is why we "invented" calculations of moment of inertia according to the form !

Here is the official site of sturturix: http://y.callaud.free.fr/corps.html#structurix go see what it gives thank you!
Last edited by Christophe the 03 / 11 / 09, 18: 36, 1 edited once.
0 x
aerialcastor
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by aerialcastor » 03/11/09, 18:36

Here's one that takes anisotropy into account ... and leaves flies alone : Cheesy:

http://www.finnforest.fr
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/11/09, 18:49

Sorry I was wrong!
It is not the moment of inertia but the quadratic moment which defines "anisotropy" of a beam according to the shape of its section:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_quadratique

But I was not entirely wrong because:

The quadratic moment is used in resistance of materials, it is essential to calculate the resistance and the deformation of the beams requested in torsion (IG) and in bending (Ix and Iy). Indeed, the resistance of a section stressed along a given axis varies with its quadratic moment along this axis.

The quadratic moment is still very often called the moment of inertia. However, although it has clear similarities, it only accounts for the geometry of a section and not for its mass.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_d%27inertie
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 03/11/09, 18:57

So guys, is it rolling? : Cheesy:

Do not mix up
1. theanisotropy inherent in a material (which mainly concerns a Young modulus different according to the directions, from where the need for a tensor of elasticities ...), 2. with "anisotropy" linked to the shapes chosen for the material which will make it seemingly more flexible in one direction from the other, while the material itself is isotropic.

If you don't want to take into account the anisotropy of wood, you might as well do no calculation and take your hammers and nails right away and see a posteriori if it's strong enough. 8)

This is what carpenters of the Middle Ages did, who empirically knew roughly the sections of wood to be laid so that the gate or the roof would last a few hundred years. :D
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/11/09, 19:03

Roooh but what is he kidding !!

I don't confuse I just explain to you that in reality, except square section (solid or hollow), no beam is isotropic in reality!

And so that software that takes into account the shape of the section of a beam does marcro-anisoptropia if you want ...

Hey teacher, for a wooden beam, well cut (it depends on its location in relation to the heart of the wood) what are the differences in% between the X and Y axes?

So rather try structrurix! Follow it!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/11/09, 19:14

Hey it looks REALLY nice! With visualization of the movements before / after please!

A bit annoying to model (by point-by-point coordinate) but it seems to work well!

For those who want to get started: don't waste 5 minutes like me trying to figure out how to add elements. It is the menu "input -> add a line"
0 x