[SOLVED] Free 3D software / open-source mechanical modeling? freecad

Present your DIY projects, your new technical ideas, your innovations to test or your self-construction work. Because doing it yourself is often more economical and can be more efficient.
Christophe

[SOLVED] Free 3D software / open-source mechanical modeling? freecad

by Christophe » 11/05/16, 10:45

I have a small idea of ​​design in mind, I am looking for a free mechanical modeling software (if it still exists) or accessible in fully functional demo for a while ...

Ideally something like SolidWorks ...

There is indeed Google Desktop but I am afraid that it is a little limited for making mechanical assemblies ... At least that was the case in the version that I tested a few years ago (already!).

This would be to model a fairly simple structure but I would need to move parts between it via pivot assemblies and translations ...

If you have that in your drawers, please share with kind Christophe :D
0 x
Christophe

Re: Free / open-source 3D software for mechanical modeling?

by Christophe » 11/05/16, 11:26

Well I think I found what I need: FreeCAD

http://www.freecadweb.org/?lang=fr

Sorry for the noise : Cheesy:

A small comparison of 3D modellers as technical as artistic: http://www.numerama.com/tech/132900-log ... on-3d.html

ps: if someone knows and uses, a little feedback would be nice :)
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/05/16, 12:33

I used "Autosketch" for a long time, not too expensive 2D software from the American company "Autodesk"; it only does 3D in the form of extrusion, which is rather limited.
However, it is rarely useful for simple projects to have real 3D functions: with this software, it is possible to simulate the rotation of one part with respect to another or to verify an adjustment by approximation. It is therefore perfectly possible to develop a mechanical device by successive empirical approaches, which is very practical and easier than machining real parts!
The other advantage of this software was that it had copious and very educational documentation (this last point being extremely rare in computer science!). I had to give up its use, because it can no longer be installed on my last computer and I downloaded Librecad which has the same standard functions, in a different presentation and with specific commands, but very similar to other software of CAD.
Suddenly, I am not tempted by 3D which would be useless to me and would complicate learning to handle ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 11/05/16, 20:31

Christophe, did you manage to use it?
I downloaded a software but a priori it is a viewer and you have to download something else but it is not very explicit.
Otherwise I use .onshape, it is a bit limited but for simple pieces it can work.
It's on the cloud so you don't really know who's watching. Officially as we want but it's American : Evil:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/05/16, 21:20

Yep, I'm starting to understand ... I'm moving slowly ... I've been on it for 2 hours ...
No, it's not a viewer: take the link above like I did this morning.

The thing that I want to model is quite simple: cylinders essentially assembled ... ideally I would like to be able to study the kinematics of the thing ... It may be possible ... I'm not there yet.

The help looks very nice, in the form of tutorials in French, and there is even an optional finite element calculation module (RdM, effort ...)! It looks really good for 100% free ... after you have to put your hands in the sludge necessarily ...

So I just found this: https://grabcad.com/library many models (not all ...) are compatible with the import of Freecad. Some models are "heavy": a .stp of 70 Mo for a paramotor truck for example!
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 11/05/16, 22:04

free cad is promising ... when it is finished it will be better than solidworks ... but alas it is not finished ... and I find it difficult to understand

so I stay in 2D with Qcad or librecad which allows me to draw on computer as in classic industrial drawing ... it must be said that I do not need a complicated shape in 3D, I do square mechanics where 2D is enough
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/05/16, 22:27

Indeed it is promising and there it is the version ... 0.16 but its development all the same started in 2001.
Solidworks 1.0 was certainly less complete! : Cheesy:

I don't even know if SW has a finite element module ... I haven't used it for 15 years ... (pantone project ...)

As for learning, yes it is complex, logical for a complete tool but I find the tutorials well done in any case ... an example: http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... roplane/fr your 1st plane under FreeCad : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

What is a bit annoying is the positioning of the parts ... for the moment I have only found by entering the coordinates by hand!
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/05/16, 10:56

it happened to me to work with people who used solidworks: for certain part of the study I preferred to make a drawing in solid works and to export this plan in DXF to work with Qcad: to make geometrical construction as I have used to doing on the drawing board with ruler and compass to find the right position of the pieces at first, while on solidworks it was done by successive test

my design method oriented the project towards a simpler and more square solution, even if the rest of the design ended in solidworks ... I do not master solidworks enough to be effective so leave it to those who know

the main problem I encountered with freeCAD is that it does not know how to draw dxf

for me it is essential to draw at all stages of the design to allow dialogue with everyone ... especially do not stay locked in his CAD ... the drawing allows to show the state of a project to those who master the good old industrial design: much more instructive than perspective views where you never see what you want
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/05/16, 11:15

chatelot16 wrote:whereas on solidworks it was done by successive test

Same for Freecad: it's more like solidworks than AutoCad and variants ...

chatelot16 wrote:the main problem I encountered with freeCAD is that it does not know how to draw dxf

Today there is indeed a .dxf export

chatelot16 wrote:for me it is essential to draw at all stages of the design to allow dialogue with everyone ... especially do not stay locked in his CAD ... the drawing allows to show the state of a project to those who master the good old industrial design: much more instructive than perspective views where you never see what you want

Absolutely and FreeCad is pretty good for that ... it does not import / export on 100% of platforms but a good part all the same ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/01/18, 22:51

I got into Freecad quite seriously, the FEM finite element module is very nice and allows you to size complex parts in RdM quite quickly, here is a capture of what I knew how to do with:

triangle_FEM.jpg
triangle_FEM.jpg (56.26 KB) Consulted 7887 times

The same constraint seen from above with an amplification of the deformations of 100:

triangle_FEM_100X.jpg
triangle_FEM_100X.jpg (38.84 KB) Consulted 7887 times
0 x

Return to “Your technical assemblies, DIY, innovations and self-construction: making an object or an installation”