Phytopurification design

Help and advice for all work carried out in self building and presentation of your work DIY or self-build. Because making oneself is often econological but beware overconfidence!
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 20/11/11, 17:59

Very good summary, it should be added, that polyethylene can be very bad and very good depending on its level of crosslinking, very variable !!
3 months UV if ordinary, 2 years if average, (the case for the good ones for concrete slabs, but often the masons put the bad thin polyethylene and cheap junk, which can last a year even without UV under the slab, and so almost useless if humidity !!) eternal so good and thick, but more expensive, essential if you want to be quiet.
So check the precise specifications of the manufacturer !!
The best is the thick of the pros !!!
The ordinary one in the trade is a junk !!!

In garden centers, it is almost impossible to find winter sails that resist UV in winter !!! (race at the cheapest junk, real waste of fact), so beware, even if indicated anti UV !!
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 20/11/11, 18:19

only the hot water pipes are made of crosslinked polyethylene ... very different from normal polyethylene: the crosslinked polyethylene is no longer really thermoplastic ...

all normal transparent polyethylene film has no UV resistance: there are only 2 ways to resist UV
1 color in black, very effective except tarpaulin of poor quality too biodegradable: which is not a quality

2 put anti uv additive: which makes the transparent sheet for greenhouse yellow
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 20/11/11, 22:59

cross-linked polyethylene is no longer really thermoplastic ...

there is hardly any need for thermoplastic, except for putting it into sheets during manufacture, but at the bottom of a pit, thermoplastic is useless, solidity is essential.

But on reading I discover that even PER is not very UV resistant;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-linked_polyethylene

So no solution but thick and very opaque to UV !!!!
But underground it's solid.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 20/11/11, 23:26

By cons for your project you have planned a pit? no because throwing the effluents directly into the phytoepuration tank, I'm not sure it will work for a long time.
A pit of sufficient volume and depth is needed for the bacteria to do their job of liquefying organic matter.
If it was already planned so much the better, otherwise I think this reminder will be useful.
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 17/03/12, 01:02

for the epdm go to a membrane roofer, maybe the prices will be competitive (often on mob) there is an army or not and it is heat sealable.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 17/03/12, 02:02

no the epdm is not welded ... it sticks or it vulcanizes

the epdm is never armed

I think you confuse with pvc (pool liner) or nylon coated with pvc (truck tarpaulin) which welds well

problem the pvc contains plasticizer (phthalate) not very good for what must live in the basin
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 17/03/12, 13:08

may well be that i actually confuse.
and without a doubt pvc does not mix well with pools.

I'm going to ask my brother who was trained to do membrane roofing, but I think you're right.
0 x

Back to "DIY and self-construction: building or mount a self-installation"