Charge regulation for PV + wind energy system

Present your DIY projects, your new technical ideas, your innovations to test or your self-construction work. Because doing it yourself is often more economical and can be more efficient.
emlaurent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Charge regulation for PV + wind energy system

by emlaurent » 29/12/15, 15:59

Hello,

I am designing a coupled PV + wind power plant (low power). The PV is standard but I self-manufacture the wind turbine.

For the load control part, I see 2 solutions that question me:

- have a single charge controller with a single battery, the 2 sources being connected in parallel, to the input of the regulator.
For the wind turbine, I plan a bridge rectifier and a voltage regulator to directly attack the battery charger

- have a charge controller for each source and charge a common battery to 2 systems.

I foresee PWM regulators but I have a doubt with the 2nd solution: how the PWM regulators will react with respect to each other according to the production of their respective source but "seeing" the same battery ??

However, I would like to have 2 different regulators to monitor the production of PV and wind independently. The epsolarPV regulators allow to connect them in RS485 for ca :D

who can help me ?
0 x
simplino
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by simplino » 29/12/15, 17:00

Two regulators that compete for the same battery is not ideal and everything depends on their design and control modes to specify.

A stronger controller may disturb the other slave and it is necessary to be sure that each regulator regulates its current supplied in all conditions and stops at a precise battery charge voltage, and once stopped without receiving the pulse current of the other regulator which continues to charge into the battery.
0 x
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 30/12/15, 18:29

for me, there is no problem putting 2 regulators on the same battery.
the voltage downstream of the regulators is the battery voltage anyway.
the regulators push current towards the battery and they will not generate each other.
on the other hand, a wind controller is different from a PV regulator because the UI response of a wind turbine and a PV are different. so do not connect them together at the input of a single regulator.
0 x
Click my signature
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 30/12/15, 20:03

Almost all hybrid production systems (solar, wind, GE, etc ...) work with several regulators (in principle 1 by different source) and this is not a problem.
For installations with very high power, it is sometimes even necessary to use several identical regulators connected on the same battery park (like large PV power can not be managed with a single controller) and it works without worries.
0 x
emlaurent
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by emlaurent » 31/12/15, 07:10

Reading from other sources, I actually arrived at this reasoning to say that the battery imposing voltage, it is the regulators that adapt.
And that we need a regulator by source.

The schema that seems most consistent to me is:
Large size image

On the other hand, is there an interest to put a regulator PWM or MPPT between the bridge rectifier of the wind turbine and the battery? [/ Img]
0 x
gust
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by gust » 31/12/15, 08:44

your diagram is complete for the security of your system.

the diversion regulator only serves for the battery-wind relationship
too much wind brakes, battery full it derives the energy in excess (dump load), in fact, unlike solar panels, put the wind turbine empty (no load) is the destruction assured!

the pwm or mppt will improve your performance and allow the complete recharge of your batteries, so it would be better to choose a regulator of this type with diversion resistance, it works in parallel so no need to place it between the wind turbine and the batteries!

moreover I strongly advise against parallel batteries, no problem the first years but over time they will inexorably become unbalanced and self-discharge into each other accelerating their aging. it is better to have two "big" 6V batteries in series than two "small" 12V in parallel
0 x
gust
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by gust » 31/12/15, 09:49

I forgot, you're missing a switch 3 channels to short circuit the wind turbine as shown in the following diagram:

the "short-circuit" blocks the rotation and allows you to intervene on it without danger, to intervene on your charging circuit, to protect it from strong storms, etc ...

edit: I said:
it works in parallel so it's useless to place it between the wind turbine and the batteries!

for the pwm, but not for the mppt ... the experts will correct me if I'm wrong :?:
0 x
BenjaminP_87
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: charge regulation for PV + wind turbine installation

by BenjaminP_87 » 13/09/18, 12:42

I plan to do the same assembly with a tidal turbine instead of the wind turbine, is it possible to have a feedback experience of this installation?
0 x