Automatic re-ignition of a converter

Help and advice for all work carried out in self building and presentation of your work DIY or self-build. Because making oneself is often econological but beware overconfidence!
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Automatic re-ignition of a converter

by darwenn » 21/12/22, 19:03

Hi there. I have been using a 1000w 12v pure sine converter for several years. It's a chinoiserie but it does its job well. It is plugged into a 200ah battery. In the summer, I feed several things in the garden and the fridge. But when there are several hours without sunshine, the battery drains and the converter goes into safety (but I automatically switch back via a relay to edf to continue supplying what needs to be). During this time, my mppt regulator is recharging the battery. Once the battery health is restored, the failsafe converter does not restart and remains failsafe. And when I'm not at home it's a problem. This is the subject of my question. Is there a way to automatically restart the converter? Or is there a model that automatically restarts when the energy source is sufficient?
2 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Automatic re-ignition of a converter

by Forhorse » 21/12/22, 19:18

Since nothing is known about the converter in question, it is impossible to provide an answer. Sorry, broken crystal ball...
1 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 21/12/22, 19:50

Do you really need a crystal ball? A simple 12v 1000w chinoiserie. The problem is not the converter since it is a model without particular complications, but the principle that I evoke to turn it back on.

In short. If someone else can guide me, I'm all ears. Would a hybrid converter be a solution?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 21/12/22, 19:57

darwenn wrote: A simple 12v 1000w chinoiserie.

I'm not going to provide the solution, but the description of the situation still seems a bit sketchy to me....
0 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 21/12/22, 20:03

Well... I have an inverter that shuts off when the battery is low, because it's designed that way, like most inverters. When the battery is full again, it stays safe, because you have to turn it off and on again for it to work again. That's how it works. I'm looking for a solution that, once the battery is full again, turns the converter back on. I guess I need to use another model that does. Which ?

I really can't get any simpler in the description, sorry.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 21/12/22, 20:18

darwenn wrote:I guess I need to use another model that does. Which ?

I do not know. That said, nothing shocks me in the fact that an electricity injector device requires voluntary action to recouple after a fault. Just a safety concern for people who might be investigating the failure downstream.
Is this legal, no idea, but it is possible.
0 x
phil59
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by phil59 » 21/12/22, 21:10

Question, manually what do you do to make it start again?

It's part of the solution!

I would like to know ...
0 x
hmmmmm, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm, huh, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

: Oops: : Cry: :( : Shock:
Remundo

by Remundo » 21/12/22, 22:10

darwenn wrote:Or is there a model that automatically restarts when the energy source is sufficient?

The answer is most likely yes.

it's called hybrid inverters.

a ti pure sine converter at 100 € doesn't have much intelligence.

there may be some who can do better than yours... to be seen.
1 x
darwenn
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by darwenn » 21/12/22, 22:17

phil59 wrote:Question, manually what do you do to make it start again?

It's part of the solution!

I would like to know ...

I turn off the device and turn it back on. Indeed, it is undoubtedly a security principle that requires manual action to restart it. But that's my problem. If I'm not there to turn it back on, it's lost energy savings. Either all the converters are designed on this principle and I can't do anything about it, or there are some that are able to check that the source (battery) is sufficient again, and they start up again.

If in the end this is not possible, I was wondering if a hybrid inverter was a solution: it would switch the power supply to my devices on edf in the event of an out of order battery, then resume battery power, once it has been recharged by my 800w of panels. But there, it is up to you to confirm it to me. I don't know how hybrid inverters work.
Last edited by darwenn the 21 / 12 / 22, 22: 21, 1 edited once.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 21/12/22, 22:20

a hybrid inverter is much more sophisticated than a small sine wave inverter.

It manages different sources (electricity network, battery, generator sometimes), it can adopt different programmable strategies.

It monitors the state of charge of its battery and makes decisions based on this level and the user's settings.

But it easily costs 1000 €... : roll:
0 x

Back to "DIY and self-construction: building or mount a self-installation"