Restoration of a river stone wall

Help and advice for your real work in new or renovation, interior or exterior.
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 18/04/13, 22:08

chatelot16 wrote:it's a small, simple wall that easily stands up by its own weight ...

Exactly no, the problem mentioned in this subject is precisely that this wall is in the process of breaking its mouth.
Rebuilt identically it will suffer forever from the same problem. So it may take 50 years to come back to the same point again, but that is not the solution.

Building a retaining wall is not just a simple matter, it's not "just a wall"
0 x
seb1000
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by seb1000 » 18/04/13, 22:55

well, I have a few days of vacation there, I'm going to ask myself to read the recommended links, and probably replace the rental of the mini excavator, by using the shovel and pickaxe (and gloves) to see what is there has on the first 50 cm of depth:
if I see a drainage in bad condition, I will know what to expect
if there is no drainage too

hack: tool level, I have a good quality perfo (but no mini excavator : Lol: )

in any case, I think of quickly securing the bottom of the wall which seems to me in very good condition: I mean that if the top of the wall were to fall, it could cause the bottom of the wall -> I therefore think of ensuring the holding large stones down with concrete or lime, stuffing very hard like a sick person deep between the stones.

Does this first step make sense to you?

PS: my house is also over 200 years old: it saw Napoleon pass! it is lime and it is standing! there are just some funny people who had the good idea of ​​making a concrete plaster that I want to remove ... but this will be the case for another discussion
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 19/04/13, 00:55

If you use lime, use very, fresh max
one month in good storage conditions.
The production date is indicated on the bag ... In principle.

if you are brought back to the wall and it was masonry at the
lime, especially do not use cement. It doesn't fit on the
duration and it damages the stones.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 19/04/13, 01:31

the air lime is a trap at the material merchant ... it expires quickly enough ... if the bag is too old the lime becomes limestone powder without interest ... hence the many failure of coating to lime with lime that is worth nothing

at the time when oily lime was used it was used rather in paste than in powder: in paste as long as it is wet it keeps well without loss ... once dry it absorbs CO2 from the air and becomes limestone

so currently it is easier to buy cement: expensive and solid month

there is indeed against indication to join to cement a wall masonry with lime ... but to rebuild the wall the cement is perfect

I happened to buy powdered lime for chemical use ... I transferred it into iron cans: at least it keeps forever ... I went around the merchants of materials to look at the date on the bags ... and unfortunately we see some very old ones that will do dirty work for those who buy them

ordinary cement expires less quickly, and since everyone buys it does not stay long in stock
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 19/04/13, 11:25

Hello ,

Chatelot to have good lime you have to go to a good supplier of materials;), personally the best I have found for the moment is BOEHM, very oily very fresh each time, by cons saint astier yuck from beurk always past date so to speak, but hey who knows by looking at the date on the bag may be that ....

Brief little extra for cement joints on the wall;), they are waterproof unlike cement so bad for the wall :) ...

Chatelot I don't know what you have with your concrete but, sometimes you have to know how to use the right materials in the right place, and give your money by the way for a good business rather than the big polluter, right?

The manufacture of cement is one of the causes of pollution of our earth, the Americans have besides can be found a solution to make less energy and polluting the manufacture of cement, it is not for nothing that we work on it. .. (between 5 to 7% of the industrial CO2 emission rate is not nothing) ...

source among others quickly found zef:

http://informatiquesansfrontieres.org/pollution/9.html

So use it when you have to, and not all the time ....

Seb I bet that your drainage is either non-existent or rotten, and in any case you have no barbican so even with good drainage the pressure of the water will be proportional to the quantity and the height of storage. ...

One wonders why have provided links if they are not read ???

Good pickaxe and shovel, starts with the punch instead of the pick;), it's easier :) ...

Think Barbarians, Barbarians, Barbarians, water evacuation water evacuation water evacuation ..... : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: and not just drainage;)
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 19/04/13, 13:04

before believing that the evacuation of water is the miracle solution it would be necessary to see the whole situation!

is this a natural river at the bottom of the valley, or is it a mill supply reach, the level of which is often higher than certain level of the neighboring soil: in this case, above all, there is no need for a barbican who makes harmful leaks

for air lime the date problem on the bags does not come from the manufacturer, but from the materials market ... when they sell simple lime 2 times more expensive than cement it should not be surprised that it sells badly and that it remains one year in stock ... and when they sell it it is so bad that they will sell even less

one day to the next I will integrate a small lime oven to a heating boiler ... so in winter it will make me lime with a yield of 100% all the heat lost from the lime oven used for heating
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 19/04/13, 14:54

bidouille23 wrote:Brief little extra for cement joints on the wall;), they are waterproof unlike cement so bad for the wall :) ...

In fact it is the lime mortar which is permeable to water.
This allows the migration of the limestone dissolved in the micro cracks.
This property allows the wall to heal when small
cracks are created by movement of the building. Moreover
the lime mortar takes a considerable time to harden in the
wall depth. The wall will therefore follow the movement of the foundations
without letting go, moreover it avoids the pressure points.
Another advantage, the mortar being permeable to water, the mineral salts
dissolved in the wall can be evacuated through the joints. Cement
does not allow this migration, this causes the joints to burst (cracking and detachment), when the joint does not drop it is the stone
bursting.
Besides this, the rigidness of the cement does not allow it to follow the
building movements.

The manufacture of cement is one of the causes of pollution of our earth, the Americans have besides can be found a solution to make less energy and polluting the manufacture of cement, it is not for nothing that we work on it. .. (between 5 to 7% of the industrial CO2 emission rate is not nothing) ...

The big problem with cement is not CO2 pollution but the
pollution of cement by heavy metals, dioxin etc ... This cement
disseminates hazardous materials in our immediate environment.
The production of lime also produces CO2.
In terms of production, cement differs from lime only
by adding clay before cooking.

You must not believe that I am against cement. It is a product
fabulous if used in the right conditions. Dry or in water
but not in between and especially not in the freezing when wet.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 19/04/13, 15:32

- A wall (which is not retaining) theoretically does not need reinforcement, since the whole advantage of concrete is to resist compressive forces (that's for theory). In practice, it is each time there are tensile forces that the use of reinforcement is essential! And it is rare to find a case where this does not happen!

- So we may even have to put it in parking screeds poured on the ground, where there will be traffic, and this to avoid the effects of certain repetitive shear forces (or even due to a slight movement of the ground).

- So, it depends on the nature of the ground ... On the height of the wall, And on local weather conditions! But in our regions, where there are strong temperature differentials, the concrete is damaged, even poured on the ground (see the state of the roads after a harsh winter! And yet the tar next to it is soft)

- In certain cases (wet, unstable, sloping ground, in flood zones, etc, etc.), it would be better to put a foundation footing out of frost, and therefore there by prudence, we will put the ad hoc reinforcement. And in other cases too, to avoid cracks and good resistance in the event of subsidence.

For all that, in my corner, there are standards.

PS: It is illusory to believe that a concrete will never crack, this is one of its weak points (and even if we do all the calculations so that it does not happen). When we know that we will not be able to avoid it, we make joints (but only in this case). Joint which is none other than a "prefabricated crack" ... : Cheesy:
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 20/04/13, 13:08

Hello ,

bidouille23 wrote:

In short, little extra for the cement joints on the wall;), they are waterproof unlike the cement so bad for the Smile wall ....

As much for me I had not seen my own mistake; it was necessary to understand "they are waterproof unlike lime" ...

Anyway, rabbit, I am soooing you, and I am not against cement and concrete either, they have their advantages depending on the situation ...

Chatelot takes your eyes and looks at the bottom of the wall after the deformation you will see a pipe coming out of the wall, and at this level point of deformation;) ...

Finally obamot connects the subject well you will see that there is lateral push on the wall, something that the concrete alone does not resume as you said;), here it is a wall from which must resume the push of the earth but especially the push of the water which is much greater ...

Then I advise you in this case to go immediately to the specialized high school which trains all the site foremen and future technicians and engineer of the buildings to teach them what to learn, and to question the iut also other wire which applies in any point the technique of flying buttress and obligatory barbican break with drainage, and little more when made a wall which must take again a height of earth made strata of earth and added to it special trellises for "army" the massif as well create and resume part of the horizontal thrust ...

brief personal the subject begins to run me, it goes in all directions with a package of bad faith in the lot given me links or it is explain that we do not drain, or we do not strengthen the feet walls for the recovery of soil and water thrust (wall wider at the base or with buttressing arcs which is not called by the way, but I can't find the exact term anymore), and which does not recommend the installation of barbacans and drainage see reinforcement of the earth and then talk again :) ...

from here good luck to Seb for his excavation and his analysis which I await for the continuation;) ....

The reach is another problem but here it does not seem to be the case with regard to the photos, but I can be wrong actually .. Seb alone can say it .... or take photos for show the situation ...

short has more more
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 20/04/13, 19:28

Hi Fred!

bidouille23 wrote:Finally obamot connects the subject well you will see that there is lateral push on the wall, something that the concrete alone does not resume as you said;), here it is a wall from which must resume the push of the earth but especially the push of the water which is much greater ...

Then I advise you in this case to go immediately to the specialized high school who trains all site managers and future building technicians and engineers to teach them what to learn

Thank you for noting that what I said confirms your point of view!

Other than that you wouldn't have gotten up a little with your left foot, friend!?! : Lol:
0 x